PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
The good news is you can make totally unauthorized copies of PCE CD games that play perfectly on your system.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I bit the bullet and got dracula x finally. I ended up spending $165.00.

I got it too, arrived today. Paid just about the same price. Disc and art/book are minty, case is a little yellowed so I ordered a set of these for all of my games:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281360620296

They seem to be identical to the originals, hope they in fact are!

Here is Rondo in all it's RGB/Frameister glory:

11098545_958761470825060_1248401046_n.jpg

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I got it too, arrived today. Paid just about the same price. Disc and art/book are minty, case is a little yellowed so I ordered a set of these for all of my games:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281360620296

They seem to be identical to the originals, hope they in fact are!

Here is Rondo in all it's RGB/Frameister glory:

11098545_958761470825060_1248401046_n.jpg

Keep me In the loop about those cases. I have a few games I need to upgrade. My dracula x arrived and thankfully it looks damn near mint, but no spine card. But I really could care less about a spine. I was watching another that ended legit with bids for $162.50. There are not many more copies on eBay. It's just a matter of time before people get desperate and get those $200.00 BIN copies.

On a side note.

Anyone played Tatsujin on PCE and compared it with the genny one Truxton? I was looking online and could not find a comparison article.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
The good news is you can make totally unauthorized copies of PCE CD games that play perfectly on your system.

Which is good because it is the only way I have been able to play Sapphire. No way am I shelling out $600 for a bootleg let alone the real thing.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Which is good because it is the only way I have been able to play Sapphire. No way am I shelling out $600 for a bootleg let alone the real thing.

Its not going for that much. I got a sealed boot, works perfect. Last year for $60.00

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Didn't realize the boots were so cheap. I haven't looked in forever as I have just written that game off as unobtainable.

I really think that company in Germany is making them still. My boot looks pretty damn nice, and plays perfect. It's so common a used import game shop by my place in Columbus Ohio had a stack of them.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
I really think that company in Germany is making them still. My boot looks pretty damn nice, and plays perfect. It's so common a used import game shop by my place in Columbus Ohio had a stack of them.

I may have to look into this. I would be interested in one of these and retire the crappy cd-r I have.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I may have to look into this. I would be interested in one of these and retire the crappy cd-r I have.

I don't think they advertise it. Or have a website or anything. But there's something shady going on with those boots. They've been around forever. And they get scarce and pop up again.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Sapphire is included in the Ginga Ojousama Collection on PSP. It's legit and nowhere near 60 bucks let alone 600.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I don't think they advertise it. Or have a website or anything. But there's something shady going on with those boots. They've been around forever. And they get scarce and pop up again.

As far as I read there was a guy in Germany making pressings of Sapphire. They look almost indistinguishable from the original apart from a few tell-tale signs like the code on the data side of the disc. I just assume he makes more whenever he wants and puts them out for sale.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
As far as I read there was a guy in Germany making pressings of Sapphire. They look almost indistinguishable from the original apart from a few tell-tale signs like the code on the data side of the disc. I just assume he makes more whenever he wants and puts them out for sale.

He is still making boots (sort of) as PCEWorks, but labeling them as repros now. Could possibly still be stealthily making Sapphire boots also.

Last edited:

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
He is still making boots (sort of) as PCEWorks, but labeling them as repros now. Could possibly still be stealthily making Sapphire boots also.

Good info. It looks like the stuff they sell through their site they do mark as a repro so I guess that lowers the shadiness level a bit.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I'm seeing through the tracking nr that my PC-E has been delivered this morning <3
Longest.... day..... ever....... :(

Edit:

Wiihiiiii!

20150407_181246.jpg

20150407_182749.jpg

20150407_183136.jpg

[video]http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/kosko99/Games/20150407_182934.mp4[/video]

Edit:

Guys, I am a bit confused... what arcade card should I buy in order to play Fatal Fury special and such? I see there is more than one model and I am trying to avoid getting the wrong one :(

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
Nice looking DUO-R you got there. For the DUO-R you want the Arcade Card DUO.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Good info. It looks like the stuff they sell through their site they do mark as a repro so I guess that lowers the shadiness level a bit.

They're still pretty shady in my book. Selling fan translations for a profit without telling the translators and hoping they wouldn't notice is kind of bad.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
They're still pretty shady in my book. Selling fan translations for a profit without telling the translators and hoping they wouldn't notice is kind of bad.

It's semi-shady. They "sell" disc-only versions of those games for free (although shipping probably costs something). They could argue that they're just selling the packaging, which has nothing to do with the translators.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It's semi-shady. They "sell" disc-only versions of those games for free (although shipping probably costs something). They could argue that they're just selling the packaging, which has nothing to do with the translators.

He only started doing the free disc thing cause he got called out about selling these by some of the translators. There is a thread about this on the pcenginefx forums about this if anyone is interested and hasn't read it:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18596.msg394626#msg394626

Last edited:

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Yesterday I saw that few games get better by using the arcade card. 3x3 Eyes diference is huuuuuge.
Damn this system has so many interesting things haha

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire

Yeah, it is definitely still shady in my book. I guess if I want a nice copy of Sapphire I may just need to pony up the cash.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Keep me In the loop about those cases. I have a few games I need to upgrade.

Got my cases. They are not the same exact cases in terms of quality, but very very close. Just slightly more bendable when you take em apart and compare piece by piece to the originals. I guess the plastic is not as thick?

But once the games are in, they look great. Most of my games look brand new now. I kept the original cases if I ever decide to sell any of these, but they'll stay in these cases while I own them. Take a look!

11093041_941044465939830_178868744_n.jpg

Also, Rondo is god tier gaming. I can't believe it took so long for me to finally play this - it's probably my favorite traditional Castlevania.