The mother of all boots, Puzzle Bobble 2

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I bought this bootleg a while ago, knowing it was a boot (bought from a guy from India, for dirt dirt cheap).

Figured I'd open it up to see how bad of a boot it is...yikes! EPROM's galore:

lhjuhrI.jpg

Top board:
nSLOVkn.jpg

Bottom board:
FgiYL3w.jpg

Has an un-shielded wire going from one of the Surface Mounted IC's to a resistor:
DDrD3SJ.jpg

This thing's an absolute mess, but hey, it works. ;)

Last edited:

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Would probably be a good idea to replace that wire with something else.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
You bet your sweet ass I will. ;)

I guess I should put stickers over those EPROM windows too...

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Is this game really worth it? Seems to hover around $90+. The original doesn't hold my attention much after playing Magical Drop III.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
My wife and I are fans of Puzzle Bobble, and part 2 in our opinions is the best version. The "choose-your-adventure" branching map single player, multiple endings, along with the extreme-sized advanced levels, and multiple characters makes this game great.

So I guess the short answer is: Yes, it's worth it ;)

I don't see PB2's on the market very often either.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
PB2 is much improved from the original PB.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Mother of all boots would be bootleg mask roms on bootleg PCBs in a bootleg shell with a bootleg trying to be legit label as a full kit.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
My wife and I are fans of Puzzle Bobble, and part 2 in our opinions is the best version. The "choose-your-adventure" branching map single player, multiple endings, along with the extreme-sized advanced levels, and multiple characters makes this game great.

So I guess the short answer is: Yes, it's worth it ;)

I don't see PB2's on the market very often either.

Ever try 2X? It's basically PB2 on drugs. Very odd "2001: A Space Odyssey" inspired backgrounds.

Only way to play it is arcade or Saturn. Try it on MAME.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Mother of all boots would be bootleg mask roms on bootleg PCBs in a bootleg shell with a bootleg trying to be legit label as a full kit.

I had a Breakers loose cart like that. Was having issues so i shitcanned the boards and re-used the shell to re-shell a busted shell Kizuna I had that I then raffled off. So at least it was vaguely useful...

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I had a Breakers loose cart like that. Was having issues so i shitcanned the boards and re-used the shell to re-shell a busted shell Kizuna I had that I then raffled off. So at least it was vaguely useful...

With bootleg maskroms? Never seen that before.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The MX chips made in Taiwan are mask roms you can find in bootleg mvs carts.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I had a bootleg Metal Slug before that had bootleg Mask roms that even had legit NGH numbers but the chips had an added value of 10 on them, so P1 would say P11. V1, V2 and V3 would say V11, V12, V13 etc.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
With bootleg maskroms? Never seen that before.

Yup, no EPROMs on it. It was super booty, nothing was saving except the shell. Which being boot as well meant the shell was... meh.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Jup, PB2 is very cool indeed. I play it with my girlfriend regularly. However I think it's more of a port from the Taito F3 system (4 years after the initial release!?)...

Btw. I think there is a bug present - the speed of the game seems to be racing for the fraction of a second every once in a while (most noticable in the animations of the bobbles). Anyone else seen this?

(Yup, I have a legit cart.)

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
in a bootleg 1 slot, but I've only ever seen one entirely counterfeit FZ1

& globs of hot glue over EVERYTHING

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
PB2 is still the best in my opinion as well. Goes 2/4/3/1

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I liked 2X best, but its basically the same thing as 2 with minor changes (and only on Taito F3 system)... So disregarding X revision, I 100% echo awbacon's opinion of 2/4/3/1!

BTW, I got a real (blue) cart with intacted serial number/holo label and mini marquee from Ebay... 110$ including shipping (not counting the shockbox+insert I got later from Southtown HB). ;)

IMG_20141201_182912-1.jpg

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Ever try 2X? It's basically PB2 on drugs. Very odd "2001: A Space Odyssey" inspired backgrounds.

Only way to play it is arcade or Saturn. Try it on MAME.
Yeah, the only differences from 2 and 2X is the addition of a few extra backgrounds, and attract mode animations. It's pretty much the same otherwise.

We play it on my cabinet (New Astro City), so instead of buying yet another motherboard/cart combo like the Taito F3 System, I opted for the MVS version.

BTW, I got a real (blue) cart with intacted serial number/holo label and mini marquee from Ebay... 110$ including shipping (not counting the shockbox+insert I got later from Southtown HB). ;)
Nice scoop! How long ago was this?
Because when I was looking, almost 3 years ago, I couldn't find one available anywhere. This boot popped up, and it was cheap enough to get (I think I paid $35 for it) till I find an original.

The things we do to get our wives to play games with us... :rolleyes: