Ski/snowboard season: Anybody been out?

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey guys.

Looking to get out to the mountains soon. Anybody been out lately? I'm thinking about doing more to earn my turns this year i.e. getting away from the crazy lift ticket prices. Any advice?

Maybe we'll see each other out there!

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I can't wait to strap the snowboard on for the first time this season. I'll be taking my 6 year old for lessons this year too so that should be fun.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's funny, I live in Denver and love snowboarding but haven't been in about ten years. Maybe I'll try to get up the hill later this year.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I haven't been since I tore up my knee near the beginning of the 11/12 season. Had a free ski pass since I worked at the resort and everything. :(

My knee is still fucked up.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I haven't been since I tore up my knee near the beginning of the 11/12 season. Had a free ski pass since I worked at the resort and everything. :(

My knee is still fucked up.

hell yeah bro! :)I chugged around a 1/4of a bottle of whiskey last year and thought I'd carve around a little(8''diameter30feet or so tall)birch tree last year. somehow I got to the other side of the tree using my front leg while off the ground, and riding up the lift I saw I was deposited around 3 feet from the other side. also when I was like 14 or fifteen I thought I'd do the stick your nose down tailgrab deal (this was when bindings went up to your knee) and the nose got caught in the snow and so my back knee has been pretty f'ed ever since. so we're in the same boat?!

anyhow on topic=no, because it costs too much, my knees, and the ''snow''(actually more like ICE)is artificial still. I did have a nightmare about bonking off something on toeside then when it pushed back reverting(?) alley oop like(?) backside{toeward}450'to land back on the super steep that thing was on the side of... I haven't been able to do a decent bs 3 for like 12 years:crying:

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
my back knee has been pretty f'ed ever since. so we're in the same boat?!

Yes we are! I always rode goofy and it was my back knee that twisted the most. Even about 3 years later, if it gets around zero F that knee stiffens up like a mother fucker.

EDIT: Plus when I feel up that knee it feels like the kneecap is out of place compared to the not fucked up one.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Lived in Utah my entire life, but I've never been snowboarding or downhill skiing.

And that's a damn shame.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Lived in Utah my entire life, but I've never been snowboarding or downhill skiing.

And that's a damn shame.

It's never too late. I started snowboarding 6 years ago (I'm 36 now) and wish I had started when I was younger but so glad to be able to do it now. I've been into various sports my entire life and snowboarding trumps everything else I've done hands down.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Whistler opened last weekend for us, but I'm told by my Aussie friends (for some reason lots of Aussies flock to there) the conditions weren't so great. Blackcomb, the connecting mountain, opens today and normally the conditions are much better. But I'm going to give it a few weeks before I go up, since it's been kinda warm around these parts, and we've yet to see any snow. Typical for West Coast BC, aka the warmest part of Canada.

Marek

Banned
Well well well

I have made a ski/board thread for a couple years running and no one ever responds that they DO in fact ski or board.

Yes. I skied maybe 12 days ago and the mountain I have a season pass to, Jackson hole mountain resort, opened for business today. I am visiting family in Chicago and will resume skiing on 12/1.

Lift tickets are ridiculous OP you're right. Where do you live? If you live in the Denver area (I'm lookin at you FamiCommand!) The epic pass is a steal at ~750 with no blackout dates for 10 mountains.

I also hike a lot for turns. Depends on the situation but I hike a lot during the season to ski side and back country terrain.

I love skiing. Its kept me from putting a bullet in my brain and has enriched my life in ways I can scarcely find the words for.

Thanks for making this thread!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Last time i skied was probably two decades ago. Went to upstate New York with some relatives.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I'm a very good skier, but I haven't gone in a couple years. My dad lives 10 minutes from the Breckenridge ski resort in CO, but I got this newborn baby now so there's no way I can be 2 miles at altitude until he's older. I'm looking forward to teaching the kid how to ski someday, though.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I snowboard, haven't been out yet this year; where I am in the state there are only tiny resorts, I have to drive several hours for anything "big" at all.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm going to soap box for a minute....

The price of a single day lift ticket is insane. The resorts bitch every year about numbers being down, and I say it's hard to take your family skiing with these outrageous food prices, outrageous lodging prices, and outrageous ticket prices. You can't grow a sport like this. It's insane. I like in Colorado Springs, and I grew up skiing at mt holly in holly Michigan. I had a great time buying tickets at the student rate. These prices are unheard of now. If the sport wants to sustain itself it has to change. I usually go to Arapahos Basin and I have a blast. I've been to Vail and Aspen, and I really don't care for the scene where it's more important to be seen in this places as opposed to actually ski. They can take their 600 dollar coats back home.

I'm done now....

Marek

Banned
^^^

First of all great avatar! That's Dr Jacoby isn't it?

On topic: lift ticket prices are fully ridiculous. The only ways do it these days are to go in for a full season pass and use it a lot, student discounts and/or ski clubs for young children, or something like the epic pass (which is a fucling badass deal)/the mountain collective pass (look that shit up).

Epic pass is the best deal going atm. Also as for lodging consider ski hostels or just cram everyone into a motel room in the town if the base village isn't an option

Also : lol Vail. Fuck that place.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I ski and snowboard but haven't gone this season yet

whats up with vail? I was there about 10 years ago & it was all powder

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I just go to the backyard and snowshoe.

Marek

Banned
I ski and snowboard but haven't gone this season yet

whats up with vail? I was there about 10 years ago & it was all powder

Vail isn't a bad place on principle. In fact getting a huge snowstorm there would be fun because Vail tourists come for the twice daily groomed runs and as op mentioned to "be seen" doing rich people things, not so much for the deep deep.

Its flat though. Everything in Colorado is pretty low angle save created butte, and even that is dwarfed by Wyoming/Montana/BC/Taos. I'm a snob for steeps :p