Hyper 64 mobo in Big Red cab... no coin or counter lights?

pmindemann

New Challenger
I recently picked-up a Hyper 64 Rev. 2 fighting board from Kenny (great guy), and got it hooked-up to my 2-slot, big red MVS cab. The mobo worked without any problems (well, it does seem to refuse to save my settings, but I think that's just a coin battery I need to replace), though there is one thing I'm finding odd... the coin return on the front of the cabinet and the LED coin counters on the top of the control panel don't light-up like they do when I'm using the MVS mobo.

So, my question for the panel: Is it normal when using a Hyper board in an MVS cab (with MVS settings, not Jamma) for the cabinet coin return and coin counter lights to not illuminate, or is there something wrong? Everything else seems to work fine, and I'm enjoying playing "Wild Ambition" (but hoping to pick-up a "Sam Sho" soon!). Thanks in advance.

JasonToddLives

Armored Scrum Object
The coin return lights on the coin door? I think they get power directly from the power supply and independently from the motherboard. Maybe pop your 2 slot board back in and see if they start working again but I doubt they will.

No idea about the coin counter lights; I don't have a Hyper 64 board.

TerryMathews

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't know about coin return, but the credit counters are driven by a separate port on the MVS motherboards that doesn't exist on either H64 board. They aren't on the JAMMA harness.

pmindemann

New Challenger
I don't know about coin return, but the credit counters are driven by a separate port on the MVS motherboards that doesn't exist on either H64 board. They aren't on the JAMMA harness.

That's helpful--thanks! Everything works fine with the MVS mobo reconnected, so I didn't think there is anything wrong with the cab or related hardware. Knowing that the coin counters are driven separately makes me think the same is probably true for the coin door lights, as well. I'm sure someone with a Hyper connected to their MVS cab could verify.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just remember that Hyper64s were in Candy cabs so if the candy cabs didn't have lights there then it's probably normal. Aren't they just +12v? You can always wire them in.

pmindemann

New Challenger
Just remember that Hyper64s were in Candy cabs so if the candy cabs didn't have lights there then it's probably normal. Aren't they just +12v? You can always wire them in.

Actually, the weren't all Candy cabs: http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/53710-Hyper-Neogeo-64(-US). Either way, that's a good point about the 12v, but I wouldn't want to do anything to limit re-use of my regular, 2-slot MVS board by hard-wiring anything just for the 64. I was just hoping someone with a big red and a 64 mobo had first-hand experience that could help confirm everything is working as expected in this configuration.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure one of the connectors on the Rev2 64 mobo is for that but I'm not sure it's even documented as far as pinouts.

pmindemann

New Challenger
I'm pretty sure one of the connectors on the Rev2 64 mobo is for that but I'm not sure it's even documented as far as pinouts.

Well that's interesting... hoping someone with a Hyper mobo will chime-in soon.

pmindemann

New Challenger
I've got a carton full of them. What would you like to know?

That's cool... have you ever hooked one of your Hyper mobos up to a standard Neo cab? I'm wondering if it's normal for coin counter lights on the top panel and the coin return lights on the front door to not function when a Hyper board is attached.

All the lights, etc. in my big red work fine when the standard, 2 slot MVS board is plugged in, but when I hookup my Hyper board, those two sets of lights don't illuminate.

TerryMathews

Mr. Big's Thug
That's cool... have you ever hooked one of your Hyper mobos up to a standard Neo cab? I'm wondering if it's normal for coin counter lights on the top panel and the coin return lights on the front door to not function when a Hyper board is attached.

All the lights, etc. in my big red work fine when the standard, 2 slot MVS board is plugged in, but when I hookup my Hyper board, those two sets of lights don't illuminate.
Yes, and its perfectly normal. The coin counters on the MVS cabinet are driven by the motherboard, it's where the logic for them is. That's how they decrement as you use coins.

Coin return is powered off that harness as well I think. You could trace the line and power them directly from the PSU if you wanted.

H64s didn't have coin counters. I don't believe there's anything on the board to drive them.

TerryMathews

Mr. Big's Thug
Good to know. Thanks for the reply!
Yep. I should point out that I'm only familiar with the fighting board. Its possible there's some sort of coin display for the driving or shooting board, but even if there is odds are its not the same as the MVS.