Post Your Guitars (Weird Guitars)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
This was one of my more interesting (and valuable) finds. A Harvey Thomas Century or "Model C". Really early example, serial number C066.

The vibrato arm and that weird little red button were not original, so I removed them.

C053670B-E74D-4C73-9F9A-7017B5ADACF8.png_zpsgb5axbl6.jpeg

39C3EB14-8844-46EF-B6A5-D93F20642EAD.png_zpsbofe3cfi.jpeg

4C9BD1D6-4217-431B-AAE2-C42A25798B39.png_zpspup6myw7.jpeg

3F0DC52E-F911-4330-8A43-2FE5203EB567.png_zps8ovxnjfd.jpeg

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'll break down my ideal guitar. For fun maybe do the same?
1: Vintage. I love the history, the real deal
2. American made. One of the few finer areas of American musical art (not saying other countries did a bad job, but WTF Japan??)
3. Bolt on neck. Yeah, the heal sucks, but there's more sustain and easier to repair if you can handle the heel.
4. Single coil pickups. Nice bright & low output chimes, perfectly balanced with a darker amp and heavier duller strings)
5. Semi hollow body. Unplugged and audible, feedback actually fun.
6. Art art art. Lets rock some style, boys!
7. Tuning machines, lets avoid the plastic pegs and nickel allergies if we can.
8. Vintage gimmicks! Sell me on something unique for the time. Intonation and bridges are a good starting point.
9. I'm drunk and will add more later. :p

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I'm out of town but I'll post some when I get back home this weekend. I've got some cool stuff. Good, bad, and ugly. My busy has a red Series 10 and he loves it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
2. American made. One of the few finer areas of American musical art (not saying other countries did a bad job, but WTF Japan??)
3. Bolt on neck. Yeah, the heal sucks, but there's more sustain and easier to repair if you can handle the heel.

2. Huh? Japanese Fenders and Ibanez are great.
3. In the vast majority of cases, a set neck has substantially more sustain.

My guitars aren't weird: PRS Custom 24 Ten Top and 1962 Fender Jaguar Reissue from the late '90s.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
All I own is US made Jackson...a RR, a Strat and strat BASS Guitar...I also have a cheap no name acoustic guitar...that's it, I'm not a good guitar player but I used to jam with pals back in the day, I just concentrated more on vocals and kinda let go of the strings...I prolly haven't played in years...and haven't done any vocals in a long time as well...not a lot of love for vocalists in here...no one has expressed any interest whatsoever...most musicians never do, something to do with insecurities I suppose...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
2003 B.C. Rich Platinum Series Warlock
19?? Fernandes Strat

I don't need to post pictures because of Google.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Jason Becker Paradise replica w/upgraded hardware (Eric Johnson and Mike Stern signature on the front):

IMG_0651.JPG

ESP Explorer replica w/upgraded hardware:

734258_4514341777005_1230522568_n.jpg

Fender Eric Johnson signature strat:

IMG_0079.JPG

Taylor 516ce acoustic:

IMG_0781.JPG

Schecter 8 string:

12829443_10205683447425843_6011479152663301519_o.jpg

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

Does it really matter, though? I see this said all the time, but your picks and amp are doing the heavy-lifting anyway.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
2. Huh? Japanese Fenders and Ibanez are great.

My guitars aren't weird: PRS Custom 24 Ten Top and 1962 Fender Jaguar Reissue from the late '90s.

I meant vintage. Vintage MIJ stuff like Hondo, Teisco, etc etc etc. truly poor quality builds all around.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
^Maestro over here, shouldn't expect any less...

Dude, I'm constantly coming into good deals at the store I work at. A few weeks ago a guy unloaded a bunch of Chibsons (Chinese fake Gibsons), and one of them is a really solid guitar. Currently having hetset EMGs installed, and it's going to be a killer gigging guitar.

IMG_0867.JPG

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
A friend has a made in india Jackson Strat and I swear it looks awesome, different bridge though, not the traditional black anodize steel but a fender like bridge, weird but very cool. I found the best deals are in old forgotten pawn shops...no one goes there buying guitars, some awesome finds...Paul Stanley's Silvertone among them...

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Does it really matter, though? I see this said all the time, but your picks and amp are doing the heavy-lifting anyway.

I'd say so. If I leave the settings on my amp the same and swap between the PRS and the Jag, the difference in sustain is very noticeable. To be fair, I'm comparing low-output single coils to high output humbuckers. The real test would be comparing a Custom 24 (glued) to a CE 24 (bolt-on) with the same pickups, wood, hardware, etc.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Not that you should be breaking your guitars, but bolt-ons are way more convenient to have repaired. That Harvey Thomas above was not originally a bolt on, appears to have some sort of repair at the joint. Guess it's now a bolt on anyway, lol!

I read a lot about the sustain issue, and the scientific data I recall was in favor of the bolt-ons.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'd say so. If I leave the settings on my amp the same and swap between the PRS and the Jag, the difference in sustain is very noticeable. To be fair, I'm comparing low-output single coils to high output humbuckers. The real test would be comparing a Custom 24 (glued) to a CE 24 (bolt-on) with the same pickups, wood, hardware, etc.

Why would you use the same settings for different guitars anyway, though? Anytime I switch guitars, it's because I'm going for a different sound, so I'm switching settings regardless.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I read a lot about the sustain issue, and the scientific data I recall was in favor of the bolt-ons.

It's the opposite, really. But my point was that it doesn't really matter, because your amp/pickups/effects will temper your sustain.

fake

15 Year Member
Why would you use the same settings for different guitars anyway, though? Anytime I switch guitars, it's because I'm going for a different sound, so I'm switching settings regardless.

I don't - I've just tested the difference in sustain, volume, and inherent tone between the two guitars. When you're A/B testing, you've got to keep as much stuff as possible at the same settings / configuration. When I'm playing, the settings are very different. The Jag can get pretty shrill so I compensate for that, plus it needs way more gain for a distorted tone.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I don't - I've just tested the difference in sustain, volume, and inherent tone between the two guitars. When you're A/B testing, you've got to keep as much stuff as possible at the same settings / configuration. When I'm playing, the settings are very different. The Jag can get pretty shrill so I compensate for that, plus it needs way more gain for a distorted tone.

I know, but I asked if it really mattered (in terms of playing either a bolton or neck-thru over the other for sustain). There are tons of people who won't play boltons because of the sustain argument, but your pickups/amp make this moot, imo.

It's kind of like the argument people will make that wood affects the tone in electric guitars. It just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (pickups, amp, effects, etc)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
3874-desktop.jpg

Washburn beauty...some day...I can't decide if I'd prefer the white outline design though...

Here's another unique take on it...

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member

Flip on that bass cut and only use the bridge! XD

Seriously though, gotta' love the rhythm circuit on the Jags. Beautiful guitars. I've owned 2 of them, a 1964 Pre-CBS with clay dot inlays in lake placid blue and USA thinskin in shell pink with matching headstock. Fun toys. :buttrock:

fake

15 Year Member
Flip on that bass cut and only use the bridge! XD

Seriously though, gotta' love the rhythm circuit on the Jags. Beautiful guitars. I've owned 2 of them, a 1964 Pre-CBS with clay dot inlays in lake placid blue and USA thinskin in shell pink with matching headstock. Fun toys. :buttrock:

Haha I've done that just for fun and it practically makes all the neighborhood cats stars screaming. The high-pass filter is cool, but I've never ended up really using it.

@Wes - Ah, I thought you meant technically speaking. Technically, I'll stand by that it does make a difference, as does the wood. But I agree that, practically speaking, most of your tone comes from the amp, pick, pups, and technique. The neck and wood factors are much clearer when playing on the clean channel. I'll find it later, but there's a YouTube channel where a guy plays the same song with different types of the same guitar (e.g. one take with an ash Strat, one with an alder one, and one with a fat Strat) and then cuts between them to show the differences in tone.