Ever have something cool given to you just out of the blue

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have gotten some cool things from members on here, but that was a result of me entering a contest/posting a thread about stuff, so I figured that didn't count as 'out of the blue.'

Shit, that's close enough. :)

JasonToddLives

Armored Scrum Object
The gentleman I bought my big red from was kind enough to throw in a free (bootleg) Puzzle Bobble cart. It was my first cab and only advertized with Samurai Shodown, so his free gift basically doubled my arcade game library. Very cool of him since I'd already given him the cash.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Back in mid-2008, my brother went away to Japan for a few weeks as it was a foreign exchange trip. He got me some pokemon figurines, which I still have in the box somewhere in my room.

As for games, one of my friends was getting rid of some of his games earlier this year and I managed to obtain a few PS1 games from him, particularly Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot, & Tetris Plus. I also got a few systems from him.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Years ago I worked at a comic book store and a co-worker of mine knew I played Magic the Gathering and indicated he had a starter deck in the car that he bought on a lark but, "Never really figured it out". He said i could have it. This was around the time Revised was winding down...maybe after Ice Age. i told him that there could be something rare inside but he didn't care and gave it to me.

Anyhow, it turned out to be an unlimited deck....with a Black Lotus and Mox Emerald inside. The cards were never played so they were (and still are) in Minty-mint condition.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
My uncle randomly gave me a Megadrive with around 10 games, Power Base Converter and a few MS games. My best friend gave me his N64 and games when I told him my mum threw mine away for no apparent reason.

Missed that first time around.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
My AV guy gave me his old Namco Stick the other week. No box, but hardly even used. He also has a PSP with a dead battery and three games with my name on it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I went over to Beff's house once and he gave me tuberculosis.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The guy at the local game store I go to, Level 7 Games, knows I'm into all the really old/obscure systems.

Someone tried to trade in an Atari 5200 at his store, but he didn't have a controller with it so he couldn't take it. So the guy just told the shop to throw it away for him, but instead they called me and gave it to me for free.

Also, I had a broken Atari XEGS. Some guy on the AtariAge forums offered to fix it for free out of the blue, provided I could pay shipping both ways. So I mailed it to him. He ended up forgetting about it for about a month, and when he finally tried to fix it he couldn't. He ended up feeling so bad about it that he just mailed me a brand new system for free. I tried to pay him for it but he wouldn't take my money. Really great guy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Rot has given me a lot of things out of the blue. Most generous guy on the forums.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Rot has given me a lot of things out of the blue. Most generous guy on the forums.

You're a generous dude as well. Your gift last year surprised the fook outa me. Thanks again brutha, it gets used often.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Actually, wasabi gave me something out of the blue. Blew me away. Thanks again for the pulstar :D

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Let's all massage Wasabi's prostate, why don't we?

Actually, he sold me a home cart once so cheap that it was basically giving it away, does that count?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
This brought back some memories! My sister in law gave me an old beat up Gameboy. I lived near Nintendo HQ, so I sent to the office and replaced it for free. I got a brand new Gameboy out of the blue. I had wanted one for a few years before this, so it was amazing. That summer I broke my arm and had to stay in bed. Played Final Fantasy Legend III for a LONG time.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That does remind me, when I moved into my new place last year all the owner's shit was still in the place. He was an 80something year old man, so not much you'd care about. However, when cleaning the shithole up I did find a couple of interesting items: a Play it Loud Gameboy and the big official Nintendo Gamecube memory card. Sweet!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll just come out and say it…people don't give me shit…well…they give me shit but that's in the "giving me grief" way.

My typical "find" story?

Years ago…2002 or so one of my co-workers knew I was looking for a good shape Laserdisc player. This was a guy I worked with part time at a A/V store, I did installs and sales. Anyway, a customer gave him a Pioneer CLD-D504 in perfect working order (and in nice shape too). The next event went down like this:

*phones rings*
Me: Hello?
Steve: Hey man…you still looking for a LD player? I have a great one here you can have.
Me: Yea and awesome…yeah, I'll pick it up next time I come to the store.
Steve: I want $50 for it.
Me: Seriously?
Steve: Yes…seriously, this thing is worth triple that.
Me: Well…wasn't it just given to you?
Steve: Doesn't matter…you want it or not?
(I had been looking for one unsuccessfully for some time and I knew he had me by the balls.)
Me: Sure……I guess….
Steve: Good, can you bring me the $50 now…I need the money.
Me: Well dude…it's kind of shitty outside (it was snowing)…
Steve: Serious man…I really need the money…

So…I had to go to an ATM, drive 15 miles in a snowstorm to a neighboring town just to give that scab $50 for god only knows what reason. I should have told him to stick it up his ass…or better yet, drove there, asked to see it first then smashed the fuck out of it right in front of him and told him to go fuck himself. Either way…the LD play was good to go, I still have it to this day and it works fine…

That's my typical "someone finds something they know I would want" story...

Last edited: