Ever have something cool given to you just out of the blue

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So I stop by my parents house today after work like I usually do and find this sitting on the bed in my old room. My mom's boss was cleaning out his apartment in the city and found this in one of his closets. I guess someone gave it to him as a gift and he never used it. He asked my mom if she knew anyone who wanted it and so here we are. It looks brand new. Just thought it would be something cool to share with you guys.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've never gotten anything like that. I always get stuff taken from me or get charged for it.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Nice! One time when I was drinking at a local bar a friend of a friend gave me a 12-string Applause guitar. He said, "I won it at the battle of the bands, but I hate 12 strings. Here you go." I played the hell out of it and sold it years later when it was all used up. (Lots of damage from live gigs and recordings.) It was so cool to just suddenly receive something like that.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I remember a certain Chinese Kid that gifted me an R-Type 3 repro with the best custom label ever when I bought an arcade stick from him. :glee:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks guys. I usually don't have stuff like this land on my lap. Feels pretty damn good.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
That's awesome. Always a nice feeling to get a gift you didn't expect.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
is vga grading service right in this case?
does that I would try to get a stack of money from it make me a bad videogamer/flipper? maybe even after waiting a few years while making a point to keep it pristine.

or is it more from your mom?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Congrats! That looks like it's in amazing condition. Also seeing that little screw terminal to coax adapter sure brings back memories... Never had a powerpad or even played on one, but always thought it was a neat idea.

Had some good fortune in the past too. Have been given some really neat stuff for free from long time friends from childhood.

In the 90s a buddy gave me a pretty much new boxed SEGA CDX. Never even knew such a thing existed until he gave me one (I wasn't really into gaming anymore at the time). Another good friend gave me a boxed Vectrex. What's special about that Vectrex too is it was the first and only Vectrex I've ever played in my life. Our families used to visit each other all the time. Whenever we'd go to their house we'd play on their Vectrex, Commodore 64 or Nintendo. Another buddy of mine gave me a test/dev system PS1, PS2 and a bunch of dog tag NeoGeo AES games in the mid 90s.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
is vga grading service right in this case?
does that I would try to get a stack of money from it make me a bad videogamer/flipper? maybe even after waiting a few years while making a point to keep it pristine.

or is it more from your mom?

Nah bro, I was thinking $$$$ the minute I saw the box. When I opened the box and saw that everything looks brand new and unused I was like KaChing! I already have two used toasters so no point in taking this one out of the box. It's really cool to look at though. Almost like owning a piece of history.

Congrats! That looks like it's in amazing condition. Also seeing that little screw terminal to coax adapter sure brings back memories... Never had a powerpad or even played on one, but always thought it was a neat idea.

Had some good fortune in the past too. Have been given some really neat stuff for free from long time friends from childhood.

In the 90s a buddy gave me a pretty much new boxed SEGA CDX. Never even knew such a thing existed until he gave me one (I wasn't really into gaming anymore at the time). Another good friend gave me a boxed Vectrex. What's special about that Vectrex too is it was the first and only Vectrex I've ever played in my life. Our families used to visit each other all the time. Whenever we'd go to their house we'd play on their Vectrex, Commodore 64 or Nintendo. Another buddy of mine gave me a test/dev system PS1, PS2 and a bunch of dog tag NeoGeo AES games in the mid 90s.

Thanks Stealth, but you just made me feel like a chump. Lol JK.

thats awesome RAZO. great condition box too!

Thanks Bro.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
My first AES and game was given to me. Totally out of the blue. Lots of Neo-Geo fans are pretty good and generous guys... but often have an outer layer of asshole.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
My LaserActive setup (deck, both PACs, 15 or so games) was just given to me by and old Bungie employee I knew. He had no need for it any longer and knew I was into LD's so just gave it to me. Had about 75 movies with it too.

He was fond of champagne's so I went and picked up a bottle of Dom for him as a thanks. He was happy, and so was I.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Someone gave me a Little Caesars gift card once. I ate like a king for a couple days.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My LaserActive setup (deck, both PACs, 15 or so games) was just given to me by and old Bungie employee I knew. He had no need for it any longer and knew I was into LD's so just gave it to me. Had about 75 movies with it too.

He was fond of champagne's so I went and picked up a bottle of Dom for him as a thanks. He was happy, and so was I.

I probably would have done the same if he gave me a Laseractive with both pacs.

Someone gave me a Little Caesars gift card once. I ate like a king for a couple days.

Last time I ate Little Caesars was when I was 12 years old. I had diarrhea for like a week.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
That is the exact boxed set I received for Christmas as my first very own game console! :)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
When I was a teen, I found what I thought was a stray cat. Loved him so much & kept him. Apparently, he had an owner. Was a single mom & her son. She was poor and struggling(whereas I live in a beach house). Anyway, I offered them my old Sega Genesis and a box of like 30 - 40 games for the cat. The kid was in awe and made a big deal about how he just had an NES with a few games. They agreed and I enjoyed all the time I spent with the kitty up until his death 13 years ago.
I wonder if that kid still has the Genesis..

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I went to buy some action figures from a craiglist add .. and we talked with the girl that was selling them.. from one word to another I got a brand new looking Atari Jaguar + 5 games and 3do with about 20 boxed games for about $40 ... I guess her brother was collecting those items... and then he went to live in Europe.

I told her that she can get much more money for them .. but she said it is fine and that she just wanted to get rid of them.
It is not a free gift ..but that is the closest I got to one :)

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I can't recall getting anything cool like that out of the blue.

Usually if someone gives me something it's just junk that I end up tossing.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That is the exact boxed set I received for Christmas as my first very own game console! :)

You put a smile on my face.

When I was a teen, I found what I thought was a stray cat. Loved him so much & kept him. Apparently, he had an owner. Was a single mom & her son. She was poor and struggling(whereas I live in a beach house). Anyway, I offered them my old Sega Genesis and a box of like 30 - 40 games for the cat. The kid was in awe and made a big deal about how he just had an NES with a few games. They agreed and I enjoyed all the time I spent with the kitty up until his death 13 years ago.
I wonder if that kid still has the Genesis..

It was cool that you gave the system and games for the Cat. My wife was once given a puppy. A cute little husky. This was back when we were still dating and living in this little apartment. The family who owned the dog couldn't deal with him anymore so they asked my wife if she wanted it. She couldn't resist and said yes. Once her 8 year old boy found out the dog was gone he went crazy. We had the dog for a full day. The husband called my wife asking if they could have the dog back and so we gave him back.

I went to buy some action figures from a craiglist add .. and we talked with the girl that was selling them.. from one word to another I got a brand new looking Atari Jaguar + 5 games and 3do with about 20 boxed games for about $40 ... I guess her brother was collecting those items... and then he went to live in Europe.

I told her that she can get much more money for them .. but she said it is fine and that she just wanted to get rid of them.
It is not a free gift ..but that is the closest I got to one :)

Not Bad

I can't recall getting anything cool like that out of the blue.

Usually if someone gives me something it's just junk that I end up tossing.

:confused:

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I have gotten some cool things from members on here, but that was a result of me entering a contest/posting a thread about stuff, so I figured that didn't count as 'out of the blue.'