BerryTogarts NeoGeo Fighters History Quest

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
For those who care (I know Danthor does) I'd like to open this thread to report my progress on my personal quest to complete every Neo Geo MVS fighting series.

The rules for myself are as following:
  • Beat the game on normal
  • Infinite credits allowed
  • no cheats but infinite credits
  • Beat all series in historical order (e.g.: SS1 has to be completed before SS2)
  • Only buy the next fighter after beating the current one (if the cart is not MOTW)
  • Switching out of the series is allowed (e.g.: SS1 completed, SS2 completed, Switch to FF1)

For fighting game experts this might not pose much of a challenge but to be honest I had a hard time beating the first game in the AOF series and don't have infinite time on my hands - therefore I consider it challenging enough.

Personal hit list of played fighters (best to worst)

*) Samurai Shodown 2
*) King of Fighters 94
*) Samurai Shodown
*) Art of Fighting
*) King of Fighters 95

Since playing KOF 94 (4th game) I use my trusty cthulhu modded LemonyVengeance stick.
WP_20150118_001.jpg

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
FINISHED - ART OF FIGHTING -
Finally I did finish Art of Fighting, mainly with the help of Danthor who proved to be a well of knowledge for this game. (also thank you to all the others who contributed in the gameplay thread)

What I did not like:
*) Special moves have to be executed rather slowly and aren't very "error prone" - having played more modern games this seems hard
*) Throws can only be made after hitting a punch button - seriously, who thought this was a great idea?
*) "Taunting wars" - while the spirit system is interesting and prevents pure FIREBALL spamming (well doesn't prevent the cpu), sometimes I'm reminded of a schoolyard where 2 fat kids taunt each other for half an hour (Ora Ora!)
*) Random dizzyness - does anyone know if there is a system behind this? Seems totally random to me.
*) Most worthless Super Special Move I've seen in a long time - almost endless cast Animation and about 20 or 25 % damage. If that weren't enough everyone and his mother remind me in the game that I should "use Haow-ken" (against weapons, my father with the mask, the traffic lights that turned red when I wanted to walk, etc.)

What I did like:
*) Zooming effects - huge fighter sprites battling it out - nice
*) Mini games that were NOT button mashers (Bottle challenge and Special move learning challenge) - this should be in more games with a story mode
*) SOUTH TOWN! (the japanes guy shouting that word over and over in the intro is hillarious)

Would I recommend this game:
If you are interested in the history of SNK games and can get it cheap consider it - gameplay wise it is on my lower tier list. (sorry Danthor)

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Neat idea. I've been playing through my Neo fighting games in a similar manner when I don't have anyone over to play versus. I've only had time to take down SS1, AoF1, and FF1 and have a huge shelf of others to play through. FF1 is a complete joke if you use Andy.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
FINISHED - SAMURAI SHODOWN 1 -
Well it is a classic and a very famous start of a great series. As usual it did take me more than 4 creds given by the System but oh well. (used Haohmaru)

What I did not like:
*) hardly anything not to like about this game - what I had problems with is post-hit invincibility as I could swear my sword slashed right through a guy that hit recovered
*) I had the feeling that special moves were not good for much (Tornado has a hell of a casting animation, the DP style swordslash had some use for me)

What I did like:
*) Music
*) Backgrounds
*) Characters
*) you know that we could go on for ages in this section...
*) Amakusa - that guy is a hillarious villain and the weird english translations are great ("I'm here to kick butt", etc.)
*) Haohmaru ending

Would I recommend this game:
defenitely - you just have to play this to experience a great part of SNK history

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is cool, hearing about you playing these games for the first time.

The post hit invincibility thing was there to prevent combos I believe. Samurai Shodown 1 was like a chess fighting game. It wasn't about special moves or combos, it was about placing the exact correct single attack that would counter whatever your opponent was doing at the time. You're right though, most of the special moves were useless. If you play it some more I'd give the advice to make sure you aren't forgetting about your kicks. It's easy to forget about those weak kicks when you are in a swordfighting game, but Haohmaru's kicks have priority over most anything most opponents can dish out. My play style is to use mostly kicks and light slashes and wait for an opening, and when I see it HARD SLASH OF DOOM.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Hurrah! Samurai Shodown was my first Neo game ever, and the first one I beat. Amakusa is definitely one of the better bosses, if only for his ridiculous dialogue. When you get to the end of Samurai Shodown 2, HAVE FUN WITH MIZUKI. Seriously, she's hard as hell.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,

The post hit invincibility thing was there to prevent combos I believe. Samurai Shodown 1 was like a chess fighting game. It wasn't about special moves or combos, it was about placing the exact correct single attack that would counter whatever your opponent was doing at the time. You're right though, most of the special moves were useless. If you play it some more I'd give the advice to make sure you aren't forgetting about your kicks. It's easy to forget about those weak kicks when you are in a swordfighting game, but Haohmaru's kicks have priority over most anything most opponents can dish out. My play style is to use mostly kicks and light slashes and wait for an opening, and when I see it HARD SLASH OF DOOM.

Thank you for the insight, yes after getting my ass kicked a couple of times I leaned mostly towards a combination of jump + hard for the opening, then a throw (with the hard kick), quick kicks or slashes in melee and the medium slash for "stabbing at far away opponents to keep them at bay"

Funny enough I did "beat" Amakusa by draining him of some energy and then cover until the timer ran out :)

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Awesome thread. I'm really enjoying reading these. I'm excited to read your Fatal Fury impressions.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member

It's been awhile since I played Samurai Showdown, and this brings back memories of why I used to like it so much at the arcade. It's not based on special moves and stun locking combos (which I am terrible at with a joystick), it's much more timing attack/counter-attack. If you know about the modern game Dive Kick, it has a similar principle, though dialed to eleven.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

That's what I love most about Sam Sho. I really don't like combo-heavy fighters as much. Soul Calibur is the only modern fighter (though that was 15 years ago) that carried this kind of stuff into 3D... I wish that series would get back to basics.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
If you play it some more I'd give the advice to make sure you aren't forgetting about your kicks. It's easy to forget about those weak kicks when you are in a swordfighting game, but Haohmaru's kicks have priority over most anything most opponents can dish out.

This. I use Charlotte and her knee kicks have super high priority.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Did have some time to play Samurai shodown 2 today.
Tried it with Haohmaru and it seems to me everything I learned in 1 doesn't apply to 2. Again I have a hard time throwing ppl - getting countered by air throws (which seem to have very high priority) isn't very fun either.
What still stresses me the most is post hit invincibility. It seems there is a small window where I can follow up with a hit - but I can't manage to find it.
Tried Earthquake for a Change too and managed to cheese my way through 2 opponents just with the fierce slash and some razor rolling - but that ended soon :)

Added hit list of played games.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Did have some time to play Samurai shodown 2 today.
Tried it with Haohmaru and it seems to me everything I learned in 1 doesn't apply to 2. Again I have a hard time throwing ppl - getting countered by air throws (which seem to have very high priority) isn't very fun either.
What still stresses me the most is post hit invincibility. It seems there is a small window where I can follow up with a hit - but I can't manage to find it.
Tried Earthquake for a Change too and managed to cheese my way through 2 opponents just with the fierce slash and some razor rolling - but that ended soon :)

Added hit list of played games.

I started with Sam Sho 2 and only recently got Sam Sho 1 to round out my series collection. I found 1 very difficult to play after getting really into 2. Interesting to see that in the reverse as well!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I like this thread. Heads up: I believe there's a 30 day limit on editing posts. You only have 2-3 more days of updating your first post's hit list, so design accordingly.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
oh I didn't know the part with editing, damn - thank you for the heads up. Will have to post summaries between games then.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I look forward to your thoughts on the original Fatal Fury. Oh and good luck with the Last Blade bosses when you get to them. :P

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Try using Jubei for SamSho2. His diving attack helps a lot IMO.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
World Heroes ought to be an easy one. It was the first neo geo game I managed to 1cc in the arcades.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I'm slashing around a bit with Jubei now and it seems to me this guy is much better suited for my play.
What I still not get:
"Sword slashing through the Opponent" - at one time I have the Opponent cornered, he gets up I do the 1000 sword hits move and he Counters with a slash without blocking... wth. Occasion 2 I throw a power wave right in his face and it goes through him while he performs his own Special... so annoying
The very bad part is I heard that you shouldn't jumpslash much as this leaves you open - but that was the only way (jump fierce - crouch fierce Combo) how I won against nakoruru.

Main question: what is a good anti air jubei move?

edit because I can't believe that just happened. I disarm Charlotte with my pow attack - we trade some hits - I fierce her and in the second before my sword hits, she gets hers back and dodges my hit with the "I'm so glad I have my sword back" Animation. (hit goes right through her sprite) what.... the.... fuck

Last edited: