WTF is it with the cursed Fallout franchise?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I guess I just don't get it.

Fallout 1 & 2 come out in late 90's with FO 2 coming out in 1998. The franchise is very popular and despite this...gets canned for a complete decade before being revisited in 2008.

After being revised in 2008 and 2010, these games have proven to be large money makers as well as carrying a cult following.

Now...on to the real reason why I posted this thread.

Why in gods name would a company take a money making franchise (not just FO...any $$ making game franchise) and completely bury it once? Here we are...4 years later and nothing. With a fanbase ready and willing to shell out serious $$ for a new game...the franchise owners chose to basically ignore it and their fanbase completely.

A fanbase so desperate for new content that you get stuff like this popping up:

http://kotaku.com/modders-are-turning-fallout-new-vegas-into-a-whole-new-1659760109

As well as live action fan made content...

This has less to do with Fallout and more to do with the industry and their constant stupidity with game development. Time and time again it seems people who have little interest in games are running the show and is one of the many reason why I don't modern game much at all.

...end rant...

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
So is Bethesda not currently working on another Fallout game? I guess I just assumed that they were since the last two releases were so popular.

That fan made mod might be pretty cool at least.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
While I'm in the camp of wanting another Fallout (Really enjoyed 3 and what I played of New Vegas), are you really just asking for yet another sequel? I agree, another one would be awesome, but I think "modern gaming's" bigger problem is lack of quality new franchises and an over abundance of cranking out sequel after sequel instead of developing new IP and experiences.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear a fallout announcement soon as they probably started work on one towards the end of Skyrim's dev cycle. If they don't create a new engine this time though, you'd have to be fucking high to purchase the game day 1, or day 350.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
They don't pick the right games to infect with sequelitis though, that's the problem. Instead of recycling COD, focus on something more worthwhile for a change.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear a fallout announcement soon as they probably started work on one towards the end of Skyrim's dev cycle. If they don't create a new engine this time though, you'd have to be fucking high to purchase the game day 1, or day 350.

Gospel truth.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I'd love a new Fallout game. I'm a huge fan of the series. I might even finally buy a new shiny console to play it on. As it is there is nothing compelling enough to make me buy one now. Fallout might be enough to push me off the fence.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
FO 4 was teased by one of the voice actors, with Bethesda's blessing, a while back.

My guess is holiday '15, possibly spring of 2016. It is coming, just taking forever.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Isn't it supposed to be announced at the new award show the Geoff Knightly put together?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Their doing another VGA Awards on Spike? Oh..right I'm sorry VGX. They gotta be hip for the Mountain Dew swilling and Doritos munching schmucks that just play FPS games. My god, 2013's lounge setting without a crowd topped the 2012 with all of the awful guests. Nobody wanted to be there. The best part was seeing how Geoff was going to flip out on Joel McHale for all of the backhanded jokes on how bad the whole thing was run. I swear they only keep that thing running for all the negative publicity.

I really hope they announce something soon. I doubt we'll get to play it until 2016. My friend would go on about the games in the early series when it came out on PC but I could never really get into it. Even when Good Old Games gave the early Fallout's away a while back I still couldn't get into it. Just not my type of game. But I took the plunge on Fallout 3 after seeing the reviews and all the good word of mouth and it fucking hooked me...BAD. I played through it a good three times. Once with guns and everything and a second time as a Fist of The North Star Kenshiro "fists only" character that was REALLY fun. Then I played through it again a 3rd time after all the DLC was finished. I only played through New Vegas once, but I got it after all of the DLC was released and Steam had it on sale for next to nothing and I did pretty much every mission in the game. Loved how they improved the VATS for melee combat.

I hope they take everything from both new Fallout's and everything they learned from Skyrim and just make a bad ass game that will consume me for months. Once it drops it'll be the deciding factor for me to go out and get a PS4.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
While I'm in the camp of wanting another Fallout (Really enjoyed 3 and what I played of New Vegas), are you really just asking for yet another sequel? I agree, another one would be awesome, but I think "modern gaming's" bigger problem is lack of quality new franchises and an over abundance of cranking out sequel after sequel instead of developing new IP and experiences.

I guess I have multiple thoughts on what you said...

Madden will release title after title on the same engine...basically the same damn game with an updated roster and people eat it up. The FO world is vast and nearly limitless in scope. New Vegas came out in 2010...if they had released yet another title with that same engine in say 2012 or 2013 but with another new location...I doubt anyone would have griped. New Vega is the exact same engine as 3 yet I never felt screwed while playing it.

I hope the build a new engine for 4 (or whatever they'll call it)...

If they are...some fan feedback would help a bit. Being tight lipped dicks about it doesn't help. And yes...I mean dicks. When asked about it, they often give snarky remarks back...as in "How fucking dare you ask about a vastly popular franchise that we've abandoned for the past 4 fucking years...fuck you for asking and fuck you for liking our games..."

Fan experience should be paramount to them...we're the ones buying their shit and keeping them in business afterall...chuck us a bone after 4 years already...

Once it drops it'll be the deciding factor for me to go out and get a PS4.

I watched those VGA's once way back when...they were painful to watch and I never did it again. Such a gross misrepresentation of the entire gaming community...it really is pathetic.

And yes, FO4 will 100% force my hand in getting a current gen console...

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I would say if the only reason some of you are considering a new console is for a bethesda game, to re-evaluate the situation.
Their last games on previous gen had major game breaking issues, some which never were resolved. They were complete shitheads about said issues on the whole with skyrim, lied about a new engine shortly before launch of the game, and still had no problem releasing DLC and final versions of the game without fixing plenty.

If this is the type of company you want to reward with all that money, put said money into a PC, because the user mods are what makes these games so much better, and give way more longevity and options when it comes to down it. Ram fixes etc all came from the user community, well before bethesda did anything.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Playing through a Fallout have as Kenshiro sounds so fucking awesome.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
It's hard to go as a melee only character in the game your first go round, but it's a lot of fun. You can dump points into things you wouldn't normally since you don't use ranged weapons. I would keep a handgun and some grenades on me to knock out cameras or set traps off. In FO3 there's special Power Fist called "FISTO!" and it's the only special hand weapon other then the death reaper claws. Once you've got your melee combat up and you get the Bloody Mess and Iron Fist perk it totally turns into a Fist of the North Star game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's hard to go as a melee only character in the game your first go round, but it's a lot of fun.

To be the successor to the Divine Fist of the North Star and the Savior of This Century's End is a rough life.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't understand people who bitch and cry about developers not making new games.

your money has no power over anyone.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I absolutely loved Fallout 3. A sequel would be incredible and would push me to go into the current gen market.

Its sad to see that some great game series just dont get any more awesome games into them, simply because people arent buiying into them in the astronomical numbers that devs want. Look at Bayonetta. An outstanding game in nearly every regard IMO, and highly praised in the majority of major video game news outlets, but it didnt sell enough for its own publisher to make a sequel. They needed the wallet of Nintendo to make Bayonetta 2, and as excellent as that game is, it still may not be enough.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Simple answer, big businesses are run by people whose bonuses and comp packages are determined in quarters. A product that takes years just to get one game out on when those same resources can be used to keep turning a consistent product out or something that needs less work will usually be the favorite for those types.

This is why consolidation in the industry, ANY industry, to the degree we have seen in the past few years is a bad thing. You end up with a bunch of large shops pushing out mostly homogeneous products that consumers end up leaving behind in not too long and a few small guys hanging around, turning out some interesting things that, only rarely, will turn into anything that let's someone upgrade their lifestyle.

The big guys by consolidating add value only to shareholders. They actually create a vacuum or stagnation within the overall marketplace because risk is bad in the eyes of those types, so they stiffle innovation and doing anything new. Look at the larger entertainment industry. Every year they keep pushing out the same old crap starring Tom Cruise or the new album with blond girl not writing her own music using recycled hooks and then they wonder why sales keep decreasing. That's not even to get into their anti-consumer DRM crap.

/rant

But back to the actual topic, the game is probably coming sooner than later. If the map is expanding a lot, it just makes the testing that needs to be done expodentially longer. The situation with Fallout when it was sold last time was completely different. We would have had Fallout 3 back in 2003/4 probably had that sale not happened, given how far the engine was for Van Buren.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I wouldn't want a yearly Fallout. New Vegas seemed like a cash grab to me thanks to the success of FO3. I'd rather them take their time and put out something really solid every 4 years. I do think it's been too long to have zero previews or news, though.

The big thing to keep in mind is that the games developed by studios like Bethesda aren't picked by the studios themselves. They're picked by fuckwads who get a hardon when their matted and framed MBA catches their eye. Also, gaming dev cycles go in landmarks. If they don't achieve their landmark goals within reason, the project gets canned.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
It's hard to go as a melee only character in the game your first go round, but it's a lot of fun. You can dump points into things you wouldn't normally since you don't use ranged weapons. I would keep a handgun and some grenades on me to knock out cameras or set traps off. In FO3 there's special Power Fist called "FISTO!" and it's the only special hand weapon other then the death reaper claws. Once you've got your melee combat up and you get the Bloody Mess and Iron Fist perk it totally turns into a Fist of the North Star game.
Even though I've played through FO3 countless times, this makes me want to do a FOTNS run through.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Fuck this thread. Now I am pissed that I don't have a new Fallout game to play :crying:

Seriously though, that mod looks cool. I would like to see a Fallout game that features the Enclave much more, just like in FO2.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ya know

this thread got me wonderin

where the hell is half-life 3

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I wouldn't want a yearly Fallout. New Vegas seemed like a cash grab to me thanks to the success of FO3. I'd rather them take their time and put out something really solid every 4 years. I do think it's been too long to have zero previews or news, though.

The big thing to keep in mind is that the games developed by studios like Bethesda aren't picked by the studios themselves. They're picked by fuckwads who get a hardon when their matted and framed MBA catches their eye. Also, gaming dev cycles go in landmarks. If they don't achieve their landmark goals within reason, the project gets canned.

Fallout NV seemed like a "correct" fallout to me...

3 was too stripped and the plot was very "un-fallout". Siding with the BoS and having such a linear quest really killed it for me. To add to that...everything was just too destroyed for my taste. Sifting through countless rubble got old quick...the DC area was just rubble and more rubble followed by subway crawls. worst of all, it felt like a Fallout skinned FPS with light RPG elements.

It was good...but I felt NV really fixed it.

There are major different plot lines and factions, much more "RPG" elements and paths to take save just good-vs-bad karma choices. The exploration was also much more enjoyable. It felt like a fixed title rather than a cash grab...

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
ya know

this thread got me wonderin

where the hell is half-life 3

I was wondering when this was gonna be brought up. Call it a hunch, but I'm pretty sure there's more people mad about this than there are mad about the lack of a new Fallout.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Fallout NV seemed like a "correct" fallout to me...

3 was too stripped and the plot was very "un-fallout". Siding with the BoS and having such a linear quest really killed it for me. To add to that...everything was just too destroyed for my taste. Sifting through countless rubble got old quick...the DC area was just rubble and more rubble followed by subway crawls. worst of all, it felt like a Fallout skinned FPS with light RPG elements.

It was good...but I felt NV really fixed it.

There are major different plot lines and factions, much more "RPG" elements and paths to take save just good-vs-bad karma choices. The exploration was also much more enjoyable. It felt like a fixed title rather than a cash grab...

Obsidian made NV. Some Obsidian staff were at Black Isle Studios, who of course were behind FO1&2. Rather than when Bethesda made their Oblivion-in-future title.

Plus, NV is in desert which is where FO belongs.