What's your least favorite console generation?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I was a little too young, but I skipped out on the Atari 2600 my parents wouldnt buy it for me instead I had a TI-994A Texas Instruments Computer and a Commodore 64.

When I was old enough to get a job, I skipped out on the original Xbox. None of the games appealed to me. Bought a GC later on, but didn't play it much.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
for me it's too early to write off this current gen as the worst.

It's not too soon to say that so far, it's the worst. It may redeem itself later on, but at this moment, the combined library of all current gen systems is nothing to jump over a barn about.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I guess it depends on how you define generations. I'll just go by the wikified console generation list.

I am going to go with the PS2/GC/Xbox generation, which would be the sixth.

I find it weird you would pick that generation as the worst. Gamecube did suck. But PS2 was awesome. And even though xbox sucked, the xbox live feature really opened up the gaming world to a whole other level. For the first time console gamers had a good and popular way to play online with friends, and it paved way for competitive console gaming. Which basically brought 2D fighting games back to popularity. That's all my opinion though. I do agree though it was a pretty weak generation with a few very strong PS2 and gamecube exclusives. Even though I was not a huge XBOX fan, some of my fondest memories were playing Halo 2 online with neo-geo.com forum members. Mainly KPJ, and the MIA Stinky Dinkins. It was good times.

My pick is generation 1. There were some decent games. I grew up with an Atari. And my cousin had a Coleco Vision. I remember playing that game where you run across the drawbridge and dodge dragons and shit. And those annoyng cards for the controllers. And who could forget E.T. for the 2600...

My pick is for a simple reason. The games in my opinion offered nothing other than the obsession to beat a score, and had no real music, or stories. I guess there was some text based stuff. But those games were boring.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I find it weird you would pick that generation as the worst. Gamecube did suck. But PS2 was awesome. And even though xbox sucked, the xbox live feature really opened up the gaming world to a whole other level. For the first time console gamers had a good and popular way to play online with friends, and it paved way for competitive console gaming. Which basically brought 2D fighting games back to popularity. That's all my opinion though. I do agree though it was a pretty weak generation with a few very strong PS2 and gamecube exclusives. Even though I was not a huge XBOX fan, some of my fondest memories were playing Halo 2 online with neo-geo.com forum members. Mainly KPJ, and the MIA Stinky Dinkins. It was good times.

I will admit that there are systems that I never gave proper attention to (Dreamcast for one)...but that generation (PS2, GC, XBox)...I actually tried. I actually owned all three as a matter of fact. I had them all, in their prime, ayet few really great titles made me want to keep them...

In the end, I liked the Gamecube the best, I always viewed it as "the little system that could but never did". Games like Resident Evil Zero/4 or Metroid Prime proved how much of a graphics powerhouse that thing was...it was shockingly good looking for its time. Sadly, it just never gathered the support.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Least fav for me is pre-NES era.

Second least favorite is first gen CD era.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, the Gamecube isn't bad. I still have a few good games for it like the resident evils, eternal darkness, ikaruga, zeldas, etc. I played it alot back in the days but now it collects dust along with my ps2 and xbox. The gamecube library doesn't compare to the ps2.

In the last 10 years the four systems that I get the most use from is 1, Neo because the games are quick and easy and I'm a sucker for Japanese fighting games. 2, The Nes because Mike Tysons Punch Out is the best game of all time. 3, The Snes because Im still discovering cool games on it. 4, Genny because it's the greatest system of all time and it's hard to not play games like Castlevania Bloodlines, Sor2, Shinobi 3.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

OP didn't ask which I thought was objectively the "worst". He asked which was my least favorite. Huge difference.

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
The last two generations didn't do much for me, all the games just seem kinda dry and forgettable.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Gamecube is my favorite by far from that generation, and I have all of them (still hooked up, too).

F-Zero GX, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Super Smash Bros Melee, Pikmin 1 and 2, Mario Sunshine, Ikaruga, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Paper Mario 2, Rogue Squadron 2 and 3, Mario Kart DD, Resident Evil 0, Remake, and 4... those are some all-timers in my book.

It can't match the sheer volume of incredible titles as on systems like PS2, PS1, NES, Genesis, SNES, PC, etc. But the top tier of the Gamecube's library holds up against any system.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
This current generation isn't doing it for me. I think a lot of system and game manufacturers mistake graphics for gameplay. Who needs a controller with 16 buttons? Give me revenge of shinobi or streets of rage any day of the week with a classic Genesis six button over a ps4 running madden 3031. Is just my take on things....

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Overall I'd say GC/Xbox/PS2. The GameCube especially was a disappointment for me because both Mario and Wave Race were inferior to their N64 versions. Mario Sunshine was especially bad, and is still my all time least favorite Mario and the only Mario game I've never finished.

So far the current gen is pretty ho hum, but I have faith it will pick up.

Its not a specific generation, but i lost interest in gaming after the N64, Playstation, Saturn generation. I am a 2d guy.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I feel comfortable saying this generation. I just look at how half assed this generation handled getting spooked by the wii u and making next gen systems WAY before they were ready to release them.

Nowadays it takes years to make a graphics intensive game. I believe the last Grand Theft Auto took 5 years to make. The games so far on the current gen look like last gen with the ability to go 1080p. I have never seen a generation this sloppy and never before wanted to skip buying the newest console.

As for the established generations I'd say PS2 Xbox GC. Except for playing fighting games online, which were laggy and a headache for the most part, that generation was the least fun.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This current generation isn't doing it for me. I think a lot of system and game manufacturers mistake graphics for gameplay. Who needs a controller with 16 buttons? Give me revenge of shinobi or streets of rage any day of the week with a classic Genesis six button over a ps4 running madden 3031. Is just my take on things....

Exactly. The generations are getting worse, or we're just getting older and more snobbish. I'm not afraid to say i'm a gaming snob these days. Life is too short to play a bunch of crap just because it looks amazing. The problem is developers are trying to polish these games so much that they are marketed like movies. When they should be marketing them as "games" with great story and game play mechanics. I don't even watch trailers anymore because they feature no gameplay. I just go to youtube and watch videos, or rely on metacritic. I know a lot of people bash metacritic, mainly because so called "great" games get trashed. But I normally agree with their scores. If it's not at least a 85 I don;t even bother unless I am a huge fan of the series.

This generation is still young, but there is a huge lack of games still. Wii-U has one game I want. PS4 has zero, and xbox one has zero. I am confident we will see some great games though. It's pretty sad when indie game developers are the only ones making quality games. They are pretty much the only ones that put any heart into their games anymore.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ I feel the same way. If it wasn't for the xbox live arcade/playstation network titles I would say the last generation was the worst. To me the cheap titles in many cases were way more fun then any big budget title.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Neo Geo counts as the SNES/Genesis/TG-16 era. Just because you didn't have the dough to afford it doesn't mean arcade-in-home wasn't available.

i played mainly in the arcades back in they day... And I had more fun playing arcade games than games on consoles at the time... Not a very big fan a 16 era games. I know a lot of people are and it's cool, it just wasn't my cup of tea... When it comes to 16 bit games, most of the library of the GBA IMO is pretty amazing and in some cases superior to SNES/Genesis. But again, just my opinion/Point of view... Like i said it wouldn't be a popular one, and i totally understand it.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
For me it's the current one.

I barely use my ps4 and Microsoft pissed me off so much that I refuse to buy an Xbox one.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Anything that's come out after the Dreamcast for me. The shift in games to these AAA hand holding 2 hour tutorial narrative driven "experiences" has mostly turned me off of games.

There are some here and there that I'll get way into, and I have yet to identify a pattern.

I hated the flickery resolution on the PS2. Hated the poor frame rate and tearing of the 360 and PS3. Xbone is a terrible experience every time I turn it on. PS4 is generally OK, but devs are putting out shit performance wise.

Just give me genesis, SNES, and neo.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's a tough choice between the PS1 gen and this current gen.

There's nothing charming about PS1 3d graphics. Gameplay was sloppy. 2d during this time was fine, but the world kept asking for shitty 3d games.

This Gen. The gameplay is gone from most games. It's all QTE and button mashing. There's no skill or flair anymore. Point the camera in a direction and mash attack. Sure it looks cool, but the gameplay is no better than the 16bit generation. I ranted about the overuse of QTE on this forum before, so no need to repeat that. It's just lazy.

However, this Gen has given us Skyrim and Borderlands 2 and Bastion. Those games alone are better than anything from the PS1 generation.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Look at the bullshit of the current generation.

1. Releasing major games with fatal flaws.
2. Forcing you to wait an hour to install a game.
3. Forcing you to spend half an hour waiting for updates (Sometimes requiring a download of dozens of gigabytes).

Shit has really gotten out of hand. If you have to install a game, and then update it, then update your firmware you aren't playing a video game console. You are playing a computer game.

I know some guys that buy a new release, then it takes so much time to install/updated that it is time for bed. So they don't even get to play it until the next day.

If I spend $60, I want to be able to pop it in and play.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's a tough choice between the PS1 gen and this current gen.

There's nothing charming about PS1 3d graphics. Gameplay was sloppy. 2d during this time was fine, but the world kept asking for shitty 3d games.

This Gen. The gameplay is gone from most games. It's all QTE and button mashing. There's no skill or flair anymore. Point the camera in a direction and mash attack. Sure it looks cool, but the gameplay is no better than the 16bit generation. I ranted about the overuse of QTE on this forum before, so no need to repeat that. It's just lazy.

However, this Gen has given us Skyrim and Borderlands 2 and Bastion. Those games alone are better than anything from the PS1 generation.

Much of the PS1 library is definitely a "gotta be there at the time" kind of deal. There are a ton of PS1 titles that were really enjoyable for their time...but really are so shitty looking now that they're difficult to play.

I will say that Metal Gear Solid highhandedly set the PS1 in "god mode" for me. When it was new, that game took the term "epic" to a whole new level. Never had I been so sucked into a game in my life.

Look at the bullshit of the current generation.

1. Releasing major games with fatal flaws.
2. Forcing you to wait an hour to install a game.
3. Forcing you to spend half an hour waiting for updates (Sometimes requiring a download of dozens of gigabytes).

Shit has really gotten out of hand. If you have to install a game, and then update it, then update your firmware you aren't playing a video game console. You are playing a computer game.

I know some guys that buy a new release, then it takes so much time to install/updated that it is time for bed. So they don't even get to play it until the next day.

If I spend $60, I want to be able to pop it in and play.

I fully believe it will be the industry that cuts their own throat. Systems are a burden anymore...and game are worse. bugs, a never ending ocean of updates and pay to play shit are just a few of the reason why I don't game much anymore.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
i played mainly in the arcades back in they day... And I had more fun playing arcade games than games on consoles at the time... Not a very big fan a 16 era games. I know a lot of people are and it's cool, it just wasn't my cup of tea... When it comes to 16 bit games, most of the library of the GBA IMO is pretty amazing and in some cases superior to SNES/Genesis. But again, just my opinion/Point of view... Like i said it wouldn't be a popular one, and i totally understand it.

I basically grew up in the arcade so I understand where you are coming from. The reason why I liked the SNES generation was not the arcade ports, but a lot of console games that play control played like they were from the arcade.

My favorite baseball game of all time was Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball. Mostly cause it plays like Baseball Stars 2 with the Major League rosters (names were changed but they were slick that you could edit all the names, and yes, it is a pain to do...... many times), and a baseball season mode. The graphics do not come close to Baseball Stars 2, but the gameplay is pretty good.

There are many more examples where the gameplay stands up quite well, however if all you like is the arcade itself, I totally get why it sucks for you. Those ports, for the most part, were brutal.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

I was simply stating that they were the same generation. Some prefers SNES, other prefers the CD add on of the TG-16, and others yet prefer the arcade-to-home neo geo. All part of the same generation (4th generation).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/systems.html

Last edited:

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
PS3/360 doesn't appeal to me. Well, there are a few games, but overall.....neh.