Neo Geo CD Universe Bios 3.2 Released!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
It's finally here for all you Neo Geo CD freaks.

The Universe Bios for all three Neo Geo CD systems, the Top Loader, Front Loader and CDZ. It has been tested working on all three systems but primary testing has been done on the Top Loader. Installation not a simple matter but has been make easier for the Top Loader by using a new BiosMasta by NeoTurfMasta.

While heavy testing has been done do not expect it to be as solid as the MVS/AES version given its a young project. It does not have all the features of the MVS/AES Universe Bios so I will list the main differences here. More info can be found on the new Universe Bios CD page.

FEATURES
------------
  • Brings the CDZ style radio screen to Top and Front Loaders.
  • Slightly faster loading on Top and Front Loaders (hardly noticeable but it's there).
  • The in game menu has all the features of the MVS/AES Universe Bios.
  • An MVS/AES BIOS SWITCH option (see below).
  • Disables CD protection (failing CD drives work in some cases).
LIMITATIONS COMPARED TO MVS/AES Universe BIOS
-------------------------------------------------------------
  • Does not currently support high score saving.
  • There is no jukebox player, use the Bios CD music payer.
  • 68000 error trapping is not yet included.
MVS/AES BIOS SWITCH
---------------------------
The CD UNIVERSE BIOS also contains an altered MVS/AES UNIVERSE BIOS. It is possible to install a switch to gain access.

Using this in connection with PC-2-NEO makes it possible to upload and run games including homebrew projects in an MVS/AES environment without the need of making a cart. It should also be possible to load data into memory from CD (using the CD UNIVERSE BIOS) and then switching to the MVS/AES bios.

Note that the systems memory spec is a limiting factor in the size of data that can be loaded. That aside this makes the CD system a good development testing tool for small game projects.

Last edited:

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Fantastic news, thank you both for your work, i look forward to getting my CD unit upgraded

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Is the neocd unibios necessary for loading official neocd games? Where can i get pc2neo cable and how do you transfer neocd games to pc?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Outstanding work guys, will be looking to add this to my CDZ at some point for sure.

Thank You

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
just an question:
have you insert the specifique cheat code of the CD game in the CD Universe Bios ?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
just an question:
have you insert the specifique cheat code of the CD game in the CD Universe Bios ?

Yes I have, many of the codes were different addresses so I have done them. There may be some I have missed though so I will add once I get reports back.

Jonathan32

n00b
This is great to here. I will be getting one for sure. With this new bios can you do language switching without having to mess with the jumpers?

Valt C

n00b
Excellent Raz! This is very good news!!! :buttrock:

This is a great upgrade to CD systems. The NBM for the NeoCD is very easy to install. I should have instructions finished in a day or two. Here's the page with the NBM information:

http://neogeofanclub.com/project/nbmcd/

Mike told me about this design, awesome for consoles with a metal shield.

I've installed a NBM in a Top Loader that have a flexible shield(don't know the material, easily cuttable), worked great with a new bios.

But now, this new one would be much easier, I could use for the other Top Loader of mine(that has a metal shield).

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Mike told me about this design, awesome for consoles with a metal shield.

I've installed a NBM in a Top Loader that have a flexible shield(don't know the material, easily cuttable), worked great with a new bios.

But now, this new one would be much easier, I could use for the other Top Loader of mine(that has a metal shield).

Yeah, cutting the shielding seemed like a deal breaker for most people. Glad everything is working out on your Top Loader and the original NBM design.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
No it does not delete saves but I guess you just need to be careful during install not to short the battery.

Raz

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
As long as you don't touch the battery, your saves should be fine. If you're worried your saves can be backed up with a PC2Neo.

WOAH THAT IS POSSIBLE, HOW SO as to be honest I ain't played my Neo CD in 10 years so I wouldn't be surprised if they are all gone and I have had my neo CD since 1994

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I have no need for a CD system. But your contributions to the neo community are unsurpassed. I may consider getting one in the future because you are making it awesome. You are a true asset to the community and help keep neo geo alive for future generations. And that's what it is all about.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Install was pretty easy in my toploader with NBM CD. Here a couple of pics of it installed in a model with a rust colored shield:
vk1E9uo.jpg

RjNInAn.jpg

All working:
RDC22pC.jpg

Thanks Razoola and NeoTurfMasta!