8-Bit Nintendo Enough said?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I've gotten back to playing some of the games I missed out on and ones I don't remember very well and since then have been thinking about this.

Have we reached the point where there isn't really anything new to talk about with the Nintendo 8-bit era?

There are countless online guides, reviews, videos of just about every game ever made for the platform. So many video reviewers, lets play videos, and collector web sites. Has it all pretty much been covered?

Is it all just for the new blood at this point?

That angry nerd seems popular, is it because he just streams profanity at old school games?

What do you look for or want to see when you watch a video or read a review about those old games?

What makes people follow the different reviewers and players on youtube.. it is just a personality thing.

Aside from the few people who are making money, what is everyone else getting out of doing these videos and Maintaining the web pages full of their reviews?

I guess it is all just matters of opinion maybe.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Have you played Little Samson?
How about Uforia?

Most people haven't, and that's why people aren't done talking bout NES.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
From what I've seen on various playthroughs, commentaries, and reviews, its getting to be if the game stands the test of time and is still enjoyable to the unknowing. You really can't say anything that hasn't been said about Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, etc., but you can give your own personal input on it.

Also, a lot of the youtubers are trying to pitch the review to fit their own character personality, but in all honesty there's nothing new. It's people giving their input on games that are already known to be famous or good.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I think people are just worried more about what something cost than what something plays like. That is the thing that drives me crazy about some other gaming forums, no one even talks about playing games. Yeah with the NES there really isn't such a thing as a hidden gem anymore aside from some semi-obscure famicom games, but people can still have a decent conversation about playing it. Honestly when reading threads I do kinda prefer to here what the "old time" guys have to say over the noobs, but that shouldn't stop them from voicing their opinion.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Well, yeah. Personally for me it, is done. But there will always be people for which things are new, games they've never heard of. I mean, holy shit it's 2014 and I still see people spout off that 'DURR DIDJA KNOW MARIO 2 WAS ORIGINALLY DOKI DOKI PANIC HERPADURP'.

This is exactly why General Discussion is a wasteland. The Neo had a really small library, around 150 games, and anything that could have been talked about, has been talked about.

Every 8/16/32/128-bit console has been discussed to death.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
To me, the 8-bit era and the NES is what a good film is. Sure, I know it, I've been there before...but I love what I love.

I don't pay attention to what people have to say about the older, dead systems. I know what I know, I like what I like, I dislike what I dislike. Nothing new to add. A occasional good game of Contra or some other NES gem is just as fun as it ever was...

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
People are still playing NES games and setting new records for speed and scores. People are still developing new strategies for NES games. As far as casual play is concerned, yeah, you're not going to bring up any new topics. Still, barely anybody has personally played and discussed every NES game that exists.

That angry nerd seems popular, is it because he just streams profanity at old school games?

That's just a comedy routine. The nerd is a character on a show. There is bits of truth in some of his stuff, but it's not a serious discussion of games.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'd like to add that Little Ninja Brothers is one of the best action/RPGs out there. It's even 2 player!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
For reviews on nes games yeah it's been done to death.Though there's homebrew and there's some obscure famicom game,that no one has played or get's a fan translation.

Speaking of translations there is one for lagrange point now :eek:
http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lagrange

I still don't have the problem going back to the console either.I was playing some,crisis force earlier and it's still a damn fine shoot'em up.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Well, yeah. Personally for me it, is done. But there will always be people for which things are new, games they've never heard of. I mean, holy shit it's 2014 and I still see people spout off that 'DURR DIDJA KNOW MARIO 2 WAS ORIGINALLY DOKI DOKI PANIC HERPADURP'.

This is exactly why General Discussion is a wasteland. The Neo had a really small library, around 150 games, and anything that could have been talked about, has been talked about.

Every 8/16/32/128-bit console has been discussed to death.

what is ur favorit king of fighter gaem

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
what is ur favorit king of fighter gaem

SS2

I have never even played a Nes. It was all Sega Master System here back in the day. I suppose i could get into it now but it looks like a heap of shit to me.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I have never even played a Nes. It was all Sega Master System here back in the day. I suppose i could get into it now but it looks like a heap of shit to me.
You got it the wrong way around... "Seega" man.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I agree with the general premise that the NES is well-worn ground and there's not really a lot left to say about it beyond people fighting over minutia and Let's Play kiddies screaming about how difficult games used to be. That said, I do feel like no consensus has ever really been drawn over what games capture the spirit of that era best and what are the "museum" games that kids of future generations should go back and play for the history of gaming.

Obviously that's a subjective thing and people will just yell at each other about which Mario game it should be, whether or not to include Zelda 2, yada yada. However, I still think that's a discussion worth having among rational people.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
These review videos are a form of trendy queer mainstream entertainment for a new era.

They have nothing to do with video games. The reviewers are scumbags and the fan base is retarded.

I want to get famous while making videos on subjects I know nothing about. Cars?

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I've been getting back into NES/Famicom for the past few years now. After finding a nice AV Famicom top loader, I've been using an NES to Famicom converter for the American carts I have. What got me back into NES/Famicom were the games that had stuff removed for American localization (Contra, Blaster Master, etc). Also, I play Star Force, Star Soldier, and Hector 87 as much as I can for score.

I've gotten to the point of buying an Everdrive N8 for Famicom as I'd like to play both region's games on one system without swapping carts or using converters.

The NES/Famicom is still a fun system to play on, collect, and great for the ocasional pick up and go session. It doesn't require constant system updates, still has challenging games, and doesn't take much real estate when set up.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
also.... just look at the Atari scene. That place is as strong as ever.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
How about child rearing? You can borrow people's kids and comment about their strengths and weaknesses.

I guess.

I'm leaning toward guns and fashion though once emulation has been perfected.

EDIT: I could review the 161-in 1 Versace multi-suit, wear each suit for two seconds and claim how average and difficult the suits are on my body.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I guess.

EDIT: I could review the 161-in 1 Versace multi-suit, wear each suit for two seconds and claim how average and difficult the suits are on my body.

I really want to know how well the sound is emulated as the fabric brushes between my thighs.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's all about personal taste and/or opinion.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I guess.

AVGN 2.0? Angry Versace Gun-toting Nerd? :p