PVM-2030 Power-on issue

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I have a couple of PVM-2030's and the one with the best picture has issues powering on when the room temperature in my workshop drops in the winter. It probably gets as low as 55F at night and when it does the PVM won't power up. The red "standby" light will light up briefly, then it will turn off and the display never powers up. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Sometimes the display will decide to turn on after the room warms up but this time it doesn't look like it wants to. I'm willing to cannibalize my other working monitor to get this working if I can just identify what part is causing this.

Thanks,

Mike

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
The weather warmed up here in Austin and my PVM turned on. I guess I'll just use it in the summer :)

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
That is pretty bizarre.

I'm assuming you've tried different outlets, or surge protectors?

What year was the TV made in? I recently had to get a 2950 repaired and it had a bunch of failing components, caps, etc.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
That is pretty bizarre.

I'm assuming you've tried different outlets, or surge protectors?

What year was the TV made in? I recently had to get a 2950 repaired and it had a bunch of failing components, caps, etc.

It's actually plugged into the same surge protector as my backup 2030 (I usually keep that one rotated) and swapped the plugs many times prior to seeking help. It's a 1989 model but the tube still looks perfect, much better than the other which is from 1993.

Thanks,
Mike

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm not too sure but I'd start around the PSU obviously and check for any shorts/bad joints/ or caps. With a tv that old, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few of each issue starting in there by now.
*I wouldn't try this if you weren't comfortable around CRTs though because they can be DEADLY if not handled with utmost caution (which is why I sent mine off to be looked at)

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
>>With a tv that old, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few of each issue starting in there by now.

Right, I'm really living on borrowed time with this unit but I'm willing to send it out if it can be repaired for < $200. That it is of course if someone in town will still work on these things :)