CPS-1 Flash device

fluxcore

Another Striker
Damn, still requires a legit c board. They seem to be hard to find these days - I'm still looking for a replacement for a SF2HF board for a friend :(

Also, if some of the work on the (in-progress) SF2HF->CPS2 port is transferrable, it's possible the cps2 multi may fulfill some of this as well...

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
Great, my Christmas 'bonus' is going to Poland, and now my tax refund is going to France!

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
DAMN IT. that's another $300 I need to find. SHIT.

Good thing I can use my final fight board :)

Lemony Vengeance

reading the post.. looks like kick harness,P3/P4 connections on the C board arent supported so no 3 or 4 player support for captain commando.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
It appears to be just an FPGA writing to flash memory with a CPLD to configure the FPGA on bootup and its supporting circuitry. Hopefully with someone having wasted money on prototyping and proving the concept will work the Chinese will come around and produce their own (with corners cut any which way lol).

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Is there a way to buy one if Im not french?

I have legit un squadron and street fighter 2 ce and I suppose I could use a and c boards from one of those for this, maybe.

Lemony Vengeance

Is there a way to buy one if Im not french?

I have legit un squadron and street fighter 2 ce and I suppose I could use a and c boards from one of those for this, maybe.

both great games, I wouldn't pull them apart. i have SF2:T and Final fight.. both great games as well, but I'd be willing to split FF up over SF2:T.

whitey

NEST Puppet
I would really like to get one of these perhaps we can arrage a US group buy, if someone is willing to organise it amd get in contact with the guy making this.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Thats pretty cool. Wouldnt mind trying out some cps1 with this set up.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
This looks like a pretty cool project, but if I have to choose between the two due to limited funds... then hands down I would go with darksoft's CPS2 board. Both are worthwhile projects though.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Does it say that you can use any C board? In the Q&A he says he tests with a B21 C board, but doesn't say if you can use any other C board.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I am assuming that you need the correct C board for the game you are trying to run. It's not universal for actual games, so I presume it also isn't for this... the versions of the C board aren't such so there are just 'later revisions' with more stuff but totally backwards compatible, are they?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
... the versions of the C board aren't such so there are just 'later revisions' with more stuff but totally backwards compatible, are they?

That's right. But I was assuming he would provide 'hacked' roms to be loaded onto the board and through only one C board, otherwise it totally defeats the purpose, right?

Some C boards were exclusive to one or a couple of games each and if you had to have those C boards there would be no point getting this multi board.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
It looks like he prefers french residents. Lemon, if you want to organize a group buy, let me know. I can translate.

aje_fr

n00b
Hello guys
It looks that my little project interest some people here too ;-)

It appears to be just an FPGA writing to flash memory with a CPLD to configure the FPGA on bootup and its supporting circuitry. Hopefully with someone having wasted money on prototyping and proving the concept will work the Chinese will come around and produce their own (with corners cut any which way lol).

Well, the fpga did not write anything to flash.
Flash are already burned with all necessary files.
The FPGA is here to make the game believe it's using the correct C board.
It means that games programs are not modified in any manner.

Right now, I will only sell to french user to be sure there is no bug or no need to return for flash/fpga update.

After that, if all goes right, I may accept int'l order.

Bye !

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Very cool stuff. I play cps1 games the most would love to have them all on one board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Hello guys
It looks that my little project interest some people here too ;-)

Well, the fpga did not write anything to flash.
Flash are already burned with all necessary files.
The FPGA is here to make the game believe it's using the correct C board.
It means that games programs are not modified in any manner.

Right now, I will only sell to french user to be sure there is no bug or no need to return for flash/fpga update.

After that, if all goes right, I may accept int'l order.

Bye !

Update us when there is news.

Your project is interesting.

Last edited:

aje_fr

n00b
Interesting, so is there a target C board version in particular that is needed?

Right now a B21 but it should works with other PPU except that games with multiplication protection will work only with PPU that include this feature.
I will try to work for a workaround.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Right now a B21 but it should works with other PPU except that games with multiplication protection will work only with PPU that include this feature.
I will try to work for a workaround.

Anyone got a list of games with the B21?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
This is a list of all the CPS1 games and the B processors used.

http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/video/cps1.c.html

Looks like:

Daimakakimura (Japanese Resale version)
Three Wonders
King Of Dragons
Captain Commando
Knights of the Round
SF2'CE
Adventure Quiz World
Varth (1 Revision)
SF2'HF
C&D
Warriors of Fate
The Punisher
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Pnickies
Pang 3
Megaman
Ganbare! Marine Kun.

Looks like every game since SF2CE used the B-21. I can see a lot of Pang 3 boards being used for this, with SF2' (both versions) in second place just because they are more common than any other game on that list.

Last edited: