Trying to use a 720p S-Video to HDMI upscaler to output Neo to a LED...picture cutting out

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I posted here but I figured it's the best place to ask. I recently bought this device (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NS0UUQ/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item) to take my S-Video modded Neo Geo and get it to output to my HDMI with S-Video because Composite kinda looks bad. Anyway, I hooked up all of the cables and turned on the device. I tried a few games, and I get the same problem every time. Every minute or so, the video and audio cuts out for maybe a second or two making the games basically unplayable.

I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with my Neo Geo, so I first hooked up an NES to it and it outputted with no issues. Then I took my Neo and hooked it up via composite directly to the TV and again had no problems.

I guess my question is whether there is something with my Neo Geo or this device I bought that makes this kind of upscaling a problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'm going to return the thing I bought on Amazon because really the only reason I bought it was to get a decent S-Video connection to a TV that just doesn't have it. Thanks

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
If you're looking to upscale to hd, you should look into getting an xrgb. Feeding your tv s-video directly or using ANY kind of hdmi converter won't yield the best results. Only upscaling from an RGB source will make playing games on your hdtv look good.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
If you're looking to upscale to hd, you should look into getting an xrgb. Feeding your tv s-video directly or using ANY kind of hdmi converter won't yield the best results. Only upscaling from an RGB source will make playing games on your hdtv look good.

Thanks. You'll have to pardon my ignorance because I really don't know anything about that. It doesn't have to be perfect, but what I'm looking for is a clean quality picture that's better than the regular composite. Do you have a specific recommendation of something for me to buy?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Thanks. You'll have to pardon my ignorance because I really don't know anything about that. It doesn't have to be perfect, but what I'm looking for is a clean quality picture that's better than the regular composite. Do you have a specific recommendation of something for me to buy?

XRGB3 if you have VGA or XRGB-Mini if you want HDMI. You'll also need to get an RGB cable.

Giga_Power32bit

Armored Scrum Object
Don't waste your money on those pieces of garbage. There is a reason the XRGBs are several hundred dollars and still sell well.
Don't get me wrong I would love a xRGB unit but not everyone can afford to shell out that kind of cash just to make their retro look great on a modern television. I did say it can be either a temp or permanent solution. I was just offering an alternate solution.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Don't get me wrong I would love a xRGB unit but not everyone can afford to shell out that kind of cash just to make their retro look great on a modern television. I did say it can be either a temp or permanent solution. I was just offering an alternate solution.

I have the scart to hdmi one and I'd be better off just using composite.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I have the scart to hdmi one and I'd be better off just using composite.

This. Temporary solutions lend themselves to being replaced with minimal benefit in the mean time. It is worth just saving up for a suitable solution. If money is tight, then look for a used X-RGB2. Over VGA it is still a very good scaler. Save up longer for a nicer one if you want. It doesn't make sense to have made the investment an AES or MVS represents, which is substantial, and then use it with low-quality equipment.