blast city power supply

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
does anyone know where i can get a cap kit for my blast city power supply?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why not just buy a new power supply unit?

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
a cap kit ? never heard of one for the blast city PSU...

what's the problem with ?

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
i heard i may not have enuff amps to power guilty gear x for atomiswave cause when its in my cab it gets to demo mode and b4 the first match starts it freezes and goes to test screen. i was told i could recap the power supply in the blast and that should fix the problem. i no cart and game work fine cause i gave it to my friend and he played it all night long with no problems. if im wrong any help is appreciated. not the greatest with this stuff yet

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
i heard i may not have enuff amps to power guilty gear x for atomiswave cause when its in my cab it gets to demo mode and b4 the first match starts it freezes and goes to test screen. i was told i could recap the power supply in the blast and that should fix the problem. i no cart and game work fine cause i gave it to my friend and he played it all night long with no problems. if im wrong any help is appreciated. not the greatest with this stuff yet

it is possible that replacing the capacitor will fix the problem. But did you adjust the voltages on the PSU ? my naomi freezes, won't boot, etc if I'm not
within a certain voltage range.

if you do recap it, please update this page or post the list here.
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_PSU

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I totally gutted the PSU that came with one of my blast city cab. The amp was bad. I ordered a new one from a seller here, but because of shipping he gutted a good one to ship to me. I just switched out the parts. What do you think you need? Maybe I have something lying around that can help you.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Bumping an old thread.

Anyone recap their blast PSU? Mine is starting to struggle with larger boards, and I'm thinking this would be a good first step. With CPS2 boards I struggle to get 5v at the jamma edge... I'm sitting at like 4.9 with the 5v pot maxed out.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I put together a cap list for the blast PSU and audio PCB. If it fixes mine up I may offer cap kits in the future.

---

Audio Amp PCB Cap List

Electrolytic Aluminum caps (KME series, +/- 20%. KMG series on digikey is recommended replacement by manufacturer.):

C1,C2 - 35v 4700uf
C3,C4 - 50v 100uf
C13,C14,C15,C17 - 50v 10uf
C16,C18,C19,C20 - 50v 2.2uf
C21,C22 - 50v 1uf
C23,C25 - 50v 33uf

---

PSU PCB

Electrolytic Aluminium caps (KME series, +/- 20%. KMG series on digikey is recommended replacement by manufacturer.):

C25 - 25v 100uf
C31,C39,C40 - 10v 6800uf
C24 - 16v 2200uf (I think this is c24... marking was partially blocked by the white stuff used to secure some caps)
C36,C44 - 50v 0.47uf
C16,C11 - 50v 10uf
C12 - 50v 1uf
C14 - 35v 47uf
C20 - 35v 22uf
C5 - 200v 820uf (The huge one)

Hey Skate...
Did you get around to putting these caps in?
Did it change anything??

Sorry to bump this...

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Don't be sorry. I did a full recap on the PSU and amp. It helped a lot. Voltages are good, video is cleaner, and the sound cleaned up a bit too.

That's great to hear!
I am getting some inconsistent voltages from mine, So I hope this can fix it.
Everyone says to "get a new PSU".
It would be great to restore these things instead of just replace them...
Thanks for the reply!

skate323k137

10 Year Member
No problem. I was able to find all the right caps on digikey. The huge filter cap was tricky so maybe skip that one and do the rest, see how that does ya.

And yea, "get a new PSU" isn't exactly easy with a blast city. Even if you find a replacement, you will have the same issues sooner or later if it hasn't been recapped.

Also before you go crazy, re-seat all the connectors on the breakout board (the thing on the side of the coin box with all the connectors). Also I took some deoxit to the contacts where the PSU itself slides into. You can try these things before recapping if you want.

Last edited: