News from SPAAAAACE!

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
its really early still, the LIGO gravity wave info took almost a year to be verified & then modeled before public release

here's a complete topological map of mercury:

Published on May 6, 2016

Data from NASA’s MESSENGER mission have been used to create this animation of the first global digital elevation model (DEM) of Mercury, revealing in stunning detail the topography across the entire innermost planet and paving the way for scientists to fully characterize its geologic history. Mercury’s surface is colored according to the topography of the surface, with regions with higher elevations colored brown, yellow, and red, and regions with lower elevations shown in blue and purple. The MESSENGER spacecraft was launched on Aug. 3, 2004, and began orbiting Mercury on March 17, 2011. It spent four years capturing images and information about the planet closest to the sun in unprecedented detail.

Credits: NASA/U.S. Geological Survey/Arizona State University/Carnegie Institution of Washington/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
That is one deep crater at the one minute mark in the vid, top third of the planet.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So...I find this somewhat related...

Got to go to Kennedy last week, which has been a destination-goal of mine for some time now. Absolutely loved it, getting to see the shuttle and a Saturn 5 in person has long been a dream of mine.

The Saturn 5 is absolutely staggering in size...I always knew it was huge, but to see it in person is another thing.
Emma%201_zpsrvom4lqu.jpg

The new'ish Atlantis exhibit was amazing...and extremely well done.
Atlantis%201_zpsqarckhj6.jpg

Atlantis%202_zps42ceizr4.jpg

I could literally stand there for hours just staring at the fine details of the thing...especially the engines.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
wow, seeing the saturn 5 rocket in person really puts in perspective the enormous amount of energy required to get to space

maybe the most efficient way to establish a sustainable off-planet outpost is to move manufacturing there.

Turn the moon into a giant rock quarry & concrete plant, use fleets of autonomous mining drones to harvest metal ore from asteroids etc.. etc..

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
wow, seeing the saturn 5 rocket in person really puts in perspective the enormous amount of energy required to get to space

It is mind blowing the amount of energy they had to produce to get such a tiny manned capsule into orbit. The rocket is staggeringly large, I cannot say it enough.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Kennedy was just plain awesome...easily the highlight of my entire trip. Like many of you, I was borderline obsessed with space, NASA and space travel when I was younger.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
the moun will be big on the 14th?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've tested several VR headsets(including the Oculus and Vive). Actually own a Lenovo Explorer(currently at Lenovo for repairs - left eye died on it after the 4th use). Found that quality-wise, they are all about the same. Because of the "low" resolution on them, the picture quality on them, everything has this slight "blurry" look. Not to mention that "screen door effect"(basically, looks similar to looking through a screen door). If you have 20/20 vision, it's especially annoying.

What I'm getting at though... of all the current VR apps/games, the only thing that even interested me at all was Google Earth VR. I thought "that would be so cool if we could go through the universe with this!"

So 2 things. We'd need a cool 'Google Universe'(or something similar) + it would also be best to hold off on a headset until they get some 4K or 8K models out(which will also mean you'll need a beefy computer to handle it). Don't bother with any current gen VR headsets(even the new Vive), unless you already own one(doh!)

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Just a pretty picture I came across.

pds-70-eso.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
NASA released tons of photos from the Apollo missions. Awesome stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums/page2

“I’m on the surface; and, as I take man’s last step from the surface, back home for some time to come – but we believe not too long into the future – I’d like to just [say] what I believe history will record. That America’s challenge of today has forged man’s destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17.”

Eugene Cernan

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
smokehouse tops it!
is i ever visit USA, kennedy center will be on the list.
yah!
as for mars, not impressed. (given that hydrogen and oxygen is two of the most common elements in the universe, the likelyhood of water being there is way too high anyway. i can think of better things the dosh can be spent on, like a manned solar system mission.)
should be there already, we do have the kit to achieve it. :D

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
smokehouse tops it!
is i ever visit USA, kennedy center will be on the list.
yah!
as for mars, not impressed. (given that hydrogen and oxygen is two of the most common elements in the universe, the likelyhood of water being there is way too high anyway. i can think of better things the dosh can be spent on, like a manned solar system mission.)
should be there already, we do have the kit to achieve it. :D

Yet you're too scared to walk to the shops.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
WTF?!
are you high?
the fuck does that have to do with the price of nuclear fuel? :(
shops are fine bro, and last i checked, doesn't take two to book a flight and travel alone. :D

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
That comet belongs hanging from the ceiling at Studio 54.