House ettiquete

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
In middle eastern households, you have to take off your shoes, but you are supplied with house slippers.

All my friends houses also ask for no shoes and I got white, black, brown and oriental friends.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm looking at the floor and the general state of the house before I take my shoes off. If the place looks like I'll be the one picking up dog shit from their carpet on my socks then the shoes stay on. If it looks like a clean place then to keep it clean, and because I know I'm not going to get skank sock, I'll take my shoes off.

Strangely enough I'd be much more likely to take my shoes off if I needed to go upstairs to use the shitter or something. Upstairs just seems like a cleaner place.

So case by case basis.

Another thing I do which is a step too far I'll admit - if I walk past someone who looks like shit in the street, anything from as low as hobo level up to just an obese tracksuit wearing chav I'll generally hold my breath until I'm a few paces past him. Not because I don't want to smell his odour - but because I don't want his fucking rancid essence in my lungs if I can at all help it. Bit weird, I know.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I thought it was a given to take off your shoes entering any house. Most likely, there is some amount of dirt on your shoes that would be tracked on their floor or carpet... It is up to the host if they tell you don't bother taking your shoes off if you don't want to.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I pulled this from an article I found...

"A few years ago, Good Morning America tested out several people’s shoes.....The bottom of one person’s shoe had over 60 million, yes million, organisms on it—some of which can cause infections or illness. If you walk all over the house in your shoes, you’re spreading harmful organisms that can make you or your children, who probably play on the floor daily, sick."

I'll take my chances with the foot fungus.

So you ask the plumber or cable guy to remove their work boots?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
So you ask the plumber or cable guy to remove their work boots?

Damn fucking right....and why would anyone need to wear work boots to unclog a drain or fix my modem.

In all honesty though, I've never been in a position where I've had to do that in my life. Everyone automatically takes their shoes/work boots off at the door without being asked. In some cases, workers have come prepared with shoe covers so not to dirty the house.

It might be a Canadian thing, I have no idea.

If you're not prepared to leave your shoes at my door then don't bother walking in.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My cable guy has protective shoe covers...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Damn fucking right....and why would anyone need to wear work boots to unclog a drain or fix my modem.

d.

Because they have to go in and out of the house several times?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My family never cared about shoes in the house unless it was snowy/rainy outside.

We always had dogs, cats, and other pets (ferrets, rabbits, hedgehogs, lizards, birds, etc), plus my mom ran a daycare service out of the house for like 20 years. In a house like that you'll worry yourself to death if you're anal about the carpets.

Nowadays my brother is a carpet guy. He steam cleans, replaces carpet, repairs holes, removes stains, etc. so it's his problem when someone fucks up the carpet in the family, just like it's my problem when someone needs something related to electronics. Or something heavy moved.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

"A few years ago, Good Morning America tested out several people’s shoes.....The bottom of one person’s shoe had over 60 million, yes million, organisms on it—some of which can cause infections or illness. If you walk all over the house in your shoes, you’re spreading harmful organisms that can make you or your children, who probably play on the floor daily, sick."

bad_germs.jpg

Don't worry, there's a good chance of recovery for germaphobia sufferers with the right treatment. :D

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member

How many is "some"?

Do the children have deficient immune systems?

pipes pls. Good Morning America is not a valid source of information.

zomg teh babbys!!1

pipes

Because they have to go in and out of the house several times?

Yeah, I've had workers bring shoe covers with them otherwise they have to just take them off and put them on as many times as it takes. They are all used to that over here though. I don't even have to mention it.

I actually have some renovation work going on in my house right now. There is a lot of back and forth to and from the garage to get material. They either take their boots off at the door when they're coming in or they put drop cloths down wherever they need access to so they don't have to worry about it.

This is all done without me having to ask....it's just common courtesy.

Last edited:

pipes

How many is "some"?

Do the children have deficient immune systems?

pipes pls. Good Morning America is not a valid source of information.

zomg teh babbys!!1

Fox News had nothing.