Best Place to buy CRTs for classic systems?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm finally (after 3 years) getting ready to do my gaming den downstairs and am wondering where the best place to get a CRT TV with S-Video and component video (for PS2) would be. Craigslist?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Craigslist
Goodwill
thrift Stores

Those are the places that would still carry some CRTs, but Goodwill is getting scarce and will not take some CRTs anymore, (my local one wouldnt take a decent sony that I was donating before).

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
try to find a pvm man. they aren't always the largest option available, but the pic quality is incredible. Like GG said, search craigslist, and run a search in Ebay with distance nearest first for Sony PVM.

I played through Odin Sphere on my 20in pvm with component. I nearly pissed myself everytime I turned it on, It's already a gorgeous game and it looked friggin amazing.

JasonToddLives

Armored Scrum Object
Haunt the thrift stores. Usually you can test them out before buying. It's best if you find out when they put out the "new" stuff.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Go work at a hospital like me. I managed to get mine out of our electronic recycling center :lolz:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Go work at a hospital like me. I managed to get mine out of our electronic recycling center :lolz:

I would be raiding that place everyday until I quit. What hospital do you work at? Do they still use a lot of CRT displays? I thought we had some high tech facilities here in Toledo. ;)

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Well..there's only really one major hospital here if you know what I mean. Honestly I have no idea they got rid of it, or where it was being used but damn I was lucky. I've started going down there once every day practically

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
yeah Craigslist.

People are catching on to the whole PVM thing and are often selling them for $100+, often with a small screen (<20'').

You can get a decent 27''+ inch Sony Wega or Panasonic Tau for $40 . Both are pretty damned good-looking via component.

Last edited:

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Definitely craigslist. Some people even give them away. I'm currently hunting for an HD CRT TV. How big are you looking for?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Panda Island. Only sell once a year though. Want a Panasonic TAU 36 inch TV?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
The Tau is a great looking CRT. I had one briefly in the PS2 days; worked great! Mine was a 27 inch 36" is serious business.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
If you have a university in your town oftentimes they do a surplus sale once a week, I picked up a second pvm from the OSU sale last Wednesday. Mine always has PLENTY of cables of all sort, sometimes some really obscure shit.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Check the city streets on garbage day.
+1

Craiglist

Call production companies/tv stations near you and ask if they will sell you old equipment ..you will be surprised how willingly they will give you even free stuff as their warehouses are full of ld unused equipment.

chrd

n00b
In Belgium top quality RGB (!) CRT's can still be found very easily. I've bought a B&O MX4000 two years ago for approximately 20$.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
In Belgium top quality RGB (!) CRT's can still be found very easily. I've bought a B&O MX4000 two years ago for approximately 20$.

you do realize that your post is totally irrelevant ?

chrd

n00b
Since as Europeans we've been condemned to import most of our gaming goods in the past (in order to not be forced to play watered down PAL 50hz ports) surely we can boast a little about the great CRT's here that nearly always came with native RGB inputs?

If contrasting markets (and sheer availability of nice to have retro gaming goods) is to be considered irrelevant in the context of this thread, my post was irrelevant.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Since as Europeans we've been condemned to import most of our gaming goods in the past (in order to not be forced to play watered down PAL 50hz ports) surely we can boast a little about the great CRT's here that nearly always came with native RGB inputs?

If contrasting markets (and sheer availability of nice to have retro gaming goods) is to be considered irrelevant in the context of this thread, my post was irrelevant.

I think Skullz means that your post doesn't help OP; you must tell where those CRTs can easily be found to be of any help.

In Spain I checked www.segundamano.es and www.milanuncios.com, kinda Craigslist sites. I bought mine there.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
+1 for Craigslist

Got my Sony Trinitron off of Craigslist for $25. Took about a week and a half to find one.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
thrift stores, yard sales and swapmeets are always good or maybe ask people you know from work? I was talking to a buddy of mine from work about classic gaming and how good they look on crt tvs and he told me he had a 30 sony crt that he wanted to get rid of, he originally wanted to give it to me for free. We agreed to grabbing some breakfast and paying for his meal.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
As of lately thrift stores like goodwill, salvation army and so on.. do not accept CRT TVs coz of weight... free section of craiglist will be flooded with CRTs very soon.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've mentioned this in a different thread on the same topic but...call your local television stations (the public access ones)

Old PVM's and other great CRT's were industry standard at television studios / film sets right up until flat LCD's came around. Plenty of places still have tons of these things sitting in storage...usually in excellent shape since they were owned by professionals who cared about their equipment.

Universities / colleges still have them too if they have film / media departments (some still in use for Media Art / Glitch work)

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
If you're feeling adventurous, it might be worth getting a standard 27" or 32" NTSC TV set from the late 90s and hacking RGB in there. If you're going to do something like that be careful and be sure you know what you're touching in there though!