Hearthstone

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Managed to beat the first part of Blackrock with my Priest deck. Got my first Legendary card.

Now I'm up against Gar, and after reading tutorials and watching videos I think I'm hosed until I get some more cards. They all seem to be talking about Mass Dispel, Healing Circle (or something like that), and all of these other cards I've neither seen nor heard of.

that could well be the case. I can say for a fact that one of the bosses in blackrock required me to load a deck with all my big cards, especially legendaries, and definitely Kelthuzad, who you will get in Naxxramas.

As for getting the right cards to build your deck into something competitive -

Every day when you log in and see the missions, click the X on the mission that only offers 40 gold, to see if you can find a better mission.

stay at level 20 - don't go further, and from there, mine gold from beginners by winning matches. After 30 wins, you will have 100 gold, which you can use to buy a pack.

And then used the gold you earn to buy packs.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Sorry, my bad. I've played zero ranked games up to this point. I have to redo my Mage deck as I rebuilt it using advice from someone that plays the game much more than me, with the end result that I consistently lose in four to five rounds instead of winning most of the time like I used to.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Sorry, my bad. I've played zero ranked games up to this point. I have to redo my Mage deck as I rebuilt it using advice from someone that plays the game much more than me, with the end result that I consistently lose in four to five rounds instead of winning most of the time like I used to.

add me on battlenet. my user number is 2999 (username is EricCantona).

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjtRokhpvM&list=PLvEIxIeBRKSjprrvlbAcbVjzHsnH9PjDX

This is a playlist of Trump Teachings. This should really help understanding fundamentals, such a board control, tempo, the long game, when to go face, etc. The great thing about this series is that he explains each of the classes, and only uses decks built from basic cards.

This specific series is great, but watching good players play, in general, will level up your game more than anything. Plays like Trump, Kolento, and Strifecro, in particular, are good to watch because they explain their thought process while they play. I've given this advice already, but if you're still struggling then you should really take it into consideration.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Bookmarking.

Never been into this type of game at all - no experience w/Magic or DnD, etc...but a few people I trust said I had to give it a go...and, wow. So so addictive. I've been playing for about 10 days now, almost every night, including a few 3-4 hour sessions...which is a massive amount of gaming for me.

I'm winning about 60% of my matches right now - but that is against people of similar ranking (currently ranked 19) and against friends.

I'm slowly starting to get ideas about deck building and developing a playstyle. My first week was definitely reacting to what my opponent did and being sure to have a few cheap taunts to slow things down if I needed to.

I've also finally started to be attracted to one of the heros - Priest. His specialized cards lead to a lot of creative combos. I ended a match on turn 6 last night against a buddy. I played a Gurabashi on my 5th turn; then played (2) double your minions health - 2 mana card(s), so that was 7-->14-->28. Then I played a "your attack is equal to your health" 1 mana card. Then I attacked...28 damage. Match over.

Game is so deep.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Bookmarking.

Never been into this type of game at all - no experience w/Magic or DnD, etc...but a few people I trust said I had to give it a go...and, wow. So so addictive. I've been playing for about 10 days now, almost every night, including a few 3-4 hour sessions...which is a massive amount of gaming for me.

I'm winning about 60% of my matches right now - but that is against people of similar ranking (currently ranked 19) and against friends.

I'm slowly starting to get ideas about deck building and developing a playstyle. My first week was definitely reacting to what my opponent did and being sure to have a few cheap taunts to slow things down if I needed to.

I've also finally started to be attracted to one of the heros - Priest. His specialized cards lead to a lot of creative combos. I ended a match on turn 6 last night against a buddy. I played a Gurabashi on my 5th turn; then played (2) double your minions health - 2 mana card(s), so that was 7-->14-->28. Then I played a "your attack is equal to your health" 1 mana card. Then I attacked...28 damage. Match over.

Game is so deep.

stay at rank 20. After 17 it gets really monotonous. Every other deck is a handlock (warlock playing giants with argus defenders).

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Welcome to the madness, Mike.

Add me; F4U57 #6229

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Mirror Image is the gayest card in Hearthstone. I swear every Mage faggot has that in their opening hand.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Mirror Image is the gayest card in Hearthstone. I swear every Mage faggot has that in their opening hand.

It's definitely a strong card in the Mage Freeze-Control decks which have reared their annoying head once again. Finishes with Pyro and Fireball being inevitable.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm not even playing against freeze mage. Just shitty mages in general. Turn 1 Mirror Image, or if they have the coin, it's turn one Mana Wyrm, coin, Mirror Image. It's such a pain in the ass for control warrior to deal with, because then they usually shit out a faggot Sorcerer's Apprentice or something equally queer. I usually have to waste a shield slam on it. Fuck that gay card. 1 mana save 4 damage bullshit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm not even playing against freeze mage. Just shitty mages in general. Turn 1 Mirror Image, or if they have the coin, it's turn one Mana Wyrm, coin, Mirror Image. It's such a pain in the ass for control warrior to deal with, because then they usually shit out a faggot Sorcerer's Apprentice or something equally queer. I usually have to waste a shield slam on it. Fuck that gay card. 1 mana save 4 damage bullshit.

I am hating the current vibe on HS with people slow rolling me from turn 1. I wish HS had an option to play against a CPU instead.

Mahasha

n00b
Best fun that can be had is using a really cheap/crappy deck to completely destroy something clearly expensive.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's welfare fun. You can get excited stealing a win from an expensive deck 1% of the time, while that deck is having fun winning 99% of the time. I'd make a complete golden wallet warrior deck, but I can't justify crafting a golden Alexstraza just to rustle an extra few jimmies.

I forgot why I stopped playing ranked. It's literally the same 3 decks over and over and over again once you hit around 10. I may concede back to 20 and fuck around with some shit like mech hunter, or murloc rogue.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
at rank 12 every deck has ragnaros, dr. boom, sylvanas, unless it's a priest deck, in which case it probably has velen's chosen, two mind controls, mind games, and everything else that will troll the shit out of you.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Specific cards don't bother me. It just gets boring playing face hunter, mech mage, patron warrior, zoo lock.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Specific cards don't bother me. It just gets boring playing face hunter, mech mage, patron warrior, zoo lock.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's like playing SFIIST and only playing against boxer all day long.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's the perfect way to put it. Reminds me a lot of playing A groove Bison/Sakura/Sagat repeatedly too. The moment you realize what you've queued into, you're ready for the game to be over so you have a chance to face something different. That's when the impatience from the slow-rolling comes in. I guess that would be the equivalent from a turtling 3s chun.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That's the perfect way to put it. Reminds me a lot of playing A groove Bison/Sakura/Sagat repeatedly too. The moment you realize what you've queued into, you're ready for the game to be over so you have a chance to face something different. That's when the impatience from the slow-rolling comes in. I guess that would be the equivalent from a turtling 3s chun.

I blame the people who made HS, because they should be tweaking it constantly to remove imbalance. They do not.

Imagine if the Internet was more robust when ST was released (1994), and cap com could rebalance the game on the fly. You know they would have. Boxer was never supposed to be better than Ryu.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I dunno, it's not like Capcom balances shit these days anyway. I give credit for Blizzard trying to introduce new concepts, like getting bonuses for holding dragons. The problem is that dragons suck. They needed to make dragons not suck in order for it to really matter. I mean, look at mechs. Mechs are insanely powerful, and they don't require you to be holding bad cards in order to reap their benefits. I mean, fucking mech warper is a 2/3 for 2 mana. That's a fantastic 2-drop as it is. It's pretty much the standard. Then they add "your mechs cost 1 less" on top of it, without raising the mana cost, or including any drawback. How fucking insane is that? You don't even have to be holding any mechs in your hand, or have anything on the field already. Just pay 2 mana and go.

Now compare that with dragons. In order to pay less than 6 mana for a shitty 6/4 dragon that dies to any 3-drop, you have to fulfull a requirement of killing both you and your opponents minions. And then there's a 5/6 dragon for 4 mana, but it gives your opponent a minion. How is that better than a piloted shredder that's a 4/3 mech, and gives YOU an extra creature. BRM needed to introduce concepts that didn't cripple you in order to benefit from them. It's fucking dumb. Dragons have failed, and why shouldn't they have failed when mechs are so insanely better?

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Solid question, but mechs are better for the heroes that dragons sought to improve. That's the problem I see. Mage got the best of BRM. Flame walker is a deadly card if the board is prepared with a taunting minion.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's another thing that distinguishes why the dragon synergies have failed so bad. Blackwing Technician is a 2/4 for 3 mana, and you have to fulfill a requirement of holding a dragon to give it a simple +1/1 buff. Flamewaker is a 2/4 for 3 minion, but it automatically gives you an incredible value you can further control. I mean, BT's value comes in dropping a 3/5 on turn 3. If it's played late game, it dies to everything. Flamewaker can be dropped early, trade up, or dropped late, and clear the entire fucking board. The requirement? Play spells (ie: do something you're going to do already).

This is how stupid Flamewaker can get:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Epic sax is the go-to soundbite for most HS videos these days.

Played a mech druid today. Never seen one of those before. Even though it's basically a shittier mech mage, it's still powerful enough to be a huge pain in the ass. Played a dragon priest immediately afterwards and bent him over the battleboard with ease.