Hearthstone

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've only dusted one gold card, and that was Dark Iron Dwarf when I first started playing, which I immediately regretted. Whenever I play druid, I always have two Ancient of Wars, and for the longest time I only had one gold one. Now it feels awesome to have the pair. Completing my golden collection will take a long time just on the epics alone.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've only dusted one gold card, and that was Dark Iron Dwarf when I first started playing, which I immediately regretted. Whenever I play druid, I always have two Ancient of Wars, and for the longest time I only had one gold one. Now it feels awesome to have the pair. Completing my golden collection will take a long time just on the epics alone.

I dusted a golden mimiron head. Getting that head to form voltron is ridiculous, but I wanted to make the golden thaurissan instead, and so here I am, still broke with hardly any dust.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
All I want for my birthday is Hearthstone dust.

I'm going to start letting my family and friends know with plenty of notice and well in advance so that I am not disappoint.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
All I want for my birthday is Hearthstone dust.

I'm going to start letting my family and friends know with plenty of notice and well in advance so that I am not disappoint.

Why don't you let the developers know, so that they can do something about it. Seriously, once a year they should just give you 1600 dust. Happy birthday. Here's some dust.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
In all seriousness, there should be more done in relation to dust giveaways. I don't know how they would implement it but considering the amount of money HS would be making for Blizzard, they owe it to their loyal players. Not that I could ever see it happening. They're making money back on all that they lost when they removed the D3 auction house.

What's 1600 dust worth in real monies? About $60 on an average calculation of 40 dust per $1.50 per pack.

Your golden legendaries are an average of $120.

I asked my mate if he liked HS the other night and he said "fuck Pay-to-Play!"

Damn, I can see his point...

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The thing about golden legendaries is that it's pure vanity. You don't need them. You don't need any gold cards. If you're smart about crafting, you can easily build competitive decks with minimal cost. The problem is that new players can't be smart about something they have no experience doing, and there's the rub. The best and worst thing about Hearthstone is that it allows for players to play and build a collection for free. It's great that it allows players to get in on the game, open packs, build decks, and compete, but it also sours many of them because they expect to be on an even playing field with people who have grinded a long time, bought packs, or both. I wonder how people would perceive the game if the only way to gain cards (outside the basic set) was to buy/win packs. Then you wouldn't have this stupid F2P/P2W bullshit complaints.

Anyway, Hearthstone is starved for content. Fucking starved. Almost 2 years into the game and all we have is one expansion and we just got our second adventure. There's no reason we couldn't have more battle boards, different heroes, tournament modes (or, hell, any other type of mode other than ranked/casual/arena), or more deck slots. Moreso, there's absolutely no fucking reason they can't offer special bonuses for events. In Diablo, they regularly have double gold/experience gain. In Hearthstone, you get the chance to obtain one card back a month. Think about that. You're also capped at 100g a day you can win playing ranked. Why not have a weekend every so often where you can earn double gold (or even double experience to help earning those gold basic cards). Or special quests to earn more than 40/60/100g. They could add achievements that would give replay value to old adventures, and maybe force players to play something other than the same net-decks (ie: "play 15 taunts in a single game" - 100 points).

It was only a few months ago that we got a spectate mode, and everybody was stroking Blizzard's dick and talking about how grateful they were. It reminds me of that Eddie Murphy standup bit where he talks about being starved and somebody hands you a cracker and you think it's the most delicious thing ever. That's what Hearthstone players are. Hoping for that Ritz cracker.

Last edited:

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Are there hacks in this game? Guy had the gnome mech that gains +1 attack at the end of his turn (at least I thought that was how it read), but it was proccing at the end of his turn AND my turn so it had +8 attack by the end of turn 4.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
You're talking about Micro Machine. It gains +1 attack at the start of EACH turn. It's best to deal with it ASAP before it snowballs out of control.

ETQIotW.png

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
OK, I guess I just misread the card and had knocked it out so quick all of the other times I never noticed it. The guy I was playing had a ton of super cheap taunters that kept me from ever being able to hit the damned thing.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
OK, I guess I just misread the card and had knocked it out so quick all of the other times I never noticed it. The guy I was playing had a ton of super cheap taunters that kept me from ever being able to hit the damned thing.

Ahhhh... Fucking taunters!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Arena run ended 5-3

got 60 dust, 60 gold, and 40 dust worth of worthless cards.

seriously, something needs to change.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I've saved up over 1200 gold so far, but I'm a little nervous about the arena. Only done it once, won two games. Any advice?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Arena tips:

Don't try to build a deck around cards that synergize with each other. Judge each card on it's own merits. For instance, most people don't put a Boulderfist Ogre in a constructed deck, but drafting it in arena is really good because it's a fat creature and players don't have reliable removal like they do in constructed. Try to have a good mana curve, meaning don't draft too many late game cards (you'll die early), or too many early game (you'll get killed in the late game).

http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/arena-guide -- For general arena tips

When deciding which card to pick, there's an actual tier list that's really helpful, and that can be found here -- http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist -- Just be cautious because it doesn't take your mana curve into account.

Arena is your best bet if you're looking to build your collection without paying (or paying much). It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you're good at arena, you can play it indefinitely because you'll at least earn the 150g entry fee back, plus bonuses (I think the average win rate needed is 7 to be an infinite arena player).

Search for Kripparian on YouTube for arena advice, or watch his stream on Twitch. He's one of the best arena players in the world, and explains his decisions really well. Just don't get discouraged, because it's going to take time to get good at it, and it can seem like a big hit taking all those losses. As long as you're learning then it's gold well spent.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Hey guys i just got back into hearthstone recently and have fallen hard for it! Been playing for a few weeks now. Just been doing my quests and arenas whenever i get 150g which is by far my fav format in the games because i loved booster drafts in mtg.

Getting bigger into ranked play, stomping my way up with an agressive weapon/charge warrior deck. Im level 7 in ranked play at the moment. Where is everyone else at?? I havent looked up any popular deck builds or meta so far but have picked up on the same few decks im always facing at this level. I like to build my strats from scratch. Dont see alot of decks like mine right now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Glad you're not copying other decks. I see way too many of the same decks from people.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Glad you're not copying other decks. I see way too many of the same decks from people.

I totally agree. For me the fun is seeing the meta first hand and then going against the grain. Its tough but way more fun making something of your own. Same 3 decks all the time at my level

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
That's just the nature of the beast. There's really only 3 types of decks in Hearthstone: aggro, midrange, and control/grind. I really wish pirates and murlocs were competitive. Even dragon synergy from BRM has been kinda lackluster.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That's just the nature of the beast. There's really only 3 types of decks in Hearthstone: aggro, midrange, and control/grind. I really wish pirates and murlocs were competitive. Even dragon synergy from BRM has been kinda lackluster.

the types are static, but the content doesn't need to be.

My issue is seeing Mage cancer decks. They aren't creative at all. you know as soon as that mage drops a coin on turn 1, a snow chugger or mech warper is coming out.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
the types are static, but the content doesn't need to be.

My issue is seeing Mage cancer decks. They aren't creative at all. you know as soon as that mage drops a coin on turn 1, a snow chugger or mech warper is coming out.

I agree. It's fun to see interesting decks, but there's a reason mech Hunter isn't used. I think part of the problem is that, because there's really only 3 types of decks you can make, you're limited even further on how to make them viable. I desperately tried to make a pirate deck that was competitive, but it doesn't hold up against shit like mech mage or handlock. I'm not sure how Blizzard can fix this problem, or if they even will. Maybe custom play modes or something.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I agree. It's fun to see interesting decks, but there's a reason mech Hunter isn't used. I think part of the problem is that, because there's really only 3 types of decks you can make, you're limited even further on how to make them viable. I desperately tried to make a pirate deck that was competitive, but it doesn't hold up against shit like mech mage or handlock. I'm not sure how Blizzard can fix this problem, or if they even will. Maybe custom play modes or something.

could oil pirate be a thing?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I don't see how. Oil rogue is good because of the removal they have to survive the early game + card draw to set up lethal burst. You'd have to sacrifice that to put in shit like Captain Greenskin.

It makes me wonder why Blizzard nerfed miracle rogue so hard. That was probably the most unique deck in the game, and really hard to pull off. It wasn't this mindless aggro mech shit they seem to have a hard-on for now. It's like they don't want players to deviate from these tired strategies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't see how. Oil rogue is good because of the removal they have to survive the early game + card draw to set up lethal burst. You'd have to sacrifice that to put in shit like Captain Greenskin.

It makes me wonder why Blizzard nerfed miracle rogue so hard. That was probably the most unique deck in the game, and really hard to pull off. It wasn't this mindless aggro mech shit they seem to have a hard-on for now. It's like they don't want players to deviate from these tired strategies.

what do you think of two axe flingers and a bouncing blade? I mean, I am looking at my collection now and thinking that would be hilarious.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
what do you think of two axe flingers and a bouncing blade? I mean, I am looking at my collection now and thinking that would be hilarious.

Axe Flingers sounds like such a fun concept. I've tried thinking of ways to make it viable in a tempo-oriented deck. Bouncing Blade would be really fun, but you could also just use shit like Inner Rage, Cruel Taskmaster, and then heal it with Earthenring Farseer. Not to mention Death's Bite and Unstable Ghoul combos. The only problem with that is designing a deck around one card, which hurts a lot of potentially fun decks that would take advantage of cards like Malygos.