Hearthstone

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I am missing so many legendaries. As the stubborn gold-wannabee that I am, all I craft is gold, so I'll never get on top. Unless I decide to spend $1000 of my tax return on packs this year. Which would probably end my marriage if the missus ever found out.

I used to be all about Hearthstone, but having Overwatch and now an urge to get right back into Diablo 3, plus whatever other console/arcade stuff I play, weighing up that time-versus-cost requirement for Hearthstone is what has set me back. Do I really want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars every few months just to have every card? Not really. Which sucks because I do really still enjoy the game, but I hate the way they've costed the game. It's ridiculous, especially in Australia where the cost of packs is so much more than the US and we don't benefit from the Amazon coin hack.

I don't have to spend a cent in Overwatch, yet I can watch my skill improve and there is no RNG component affecting it. The whole Hearthstone dynamic has been ruined for me when I see how other Blizzard dev teams approach their IP so much more professionally.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you think Team 5 ruined it already, wait until you see how they plan to ruin it further when they cycle classic into wild mode.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The good news is that they will give you dust for the cards, regardless of if you disenchant it. So just for having those nerfed cards, I stand to gain 11200 dust. That's not bad at all.

I have almost 6000 gold stored, and I am not crafting anything. The past 4 free packs I got were 40 dust club. And I have a side account which I used to roll for 80 gold friend quests. I imagine that you can make a lot of these accounts and increase your chances of getting at least 1 a day, and double your good output on your main account, just for checking and playing shit matches with your self.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Sounds like a chore. When does the funs happen?

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I'm still playing HS daily. It's such a perfect game for those minutes when you have nothing to do. I don't think it's a good tactic (economically) to want to have every card in each new set unless you have a lot of money to spend. :p I buy maybe 100 packs each expansion, craft what I need, do daily quests and so on, I have over 35k dust so I'm not worried about not having "that new awesome card".

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Sounds like a chore. When does the funs happen?

It sort of is a chore, but you're farming a lot and it can be nice to get more quests. Most Mage quests (upgrading your Mage to level 20, doing the kabal leg of the free packs story) you can do in solo mode against Malchezaar.

Also, you're going in knowing you'll be able to make one good deck for one class. The most viable cheap deck to make is secret paladin.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm still playing HS daily. It's such a perfect game for those minutes when you have nothing to do. I don't think it's a good tactic (economically) to want to have every card in each new set unless you have a lot of money to spend. :p I buy maybe 100 packs each expansion, craft what I need, do daily quests and so on, I have over 35k dust so I'm not worried about not having "that new awesome card".

35k dust? That's enough to craft 10 golden legendaries. How are you only buying 100 packs and accumulating that must dust when you're also using it to craft? I dunno, I call bs. Maybe you mean 3.5k dust.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
35k dust? That's enough to craft 10 golden legendaries. How are you only buying 100 packs and accumulating that must dust when you're also using it to craft? I dunno, I call bs. Maybe you mean 3.5k dust.

I've been playing daily since release in 2014, always re-rolling a quest each day, always completing one, I usually only DE something for full value if it has gotten nerfed, arena. I never craft epics. Only an occasional good legendary that I actually will use.

ounmmq.png

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've been playing daily since release in 2014, always re-rolling a quest each day, always completing one, I usually only DE something for full value if it has gotten nerfed, arena. I never craft epics. Only an occasional good legendary that I actually will use.

ounmmq.png

I do the same, and have been playing since beta. However, I buy much more than 100 packs per expansion, and I have around the same amount of dust. If you're only DE'ing things when you get full value, you should have even less dust since you don't have a consistent dust stream coming in. Either you're an arena god, or you're buying more packs than you let on. Daily quests and DE'ing only for full value doesn't net you that much, even over years and having to keep up with each expansion.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think I got around 27000 dust from whispers, but I also spent close to $300 in packs.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I also used to DE every golden card until quite recently, since I didn't care about animated portraits. Something I regret a bit now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Looking at the new warlock cards, discolock is about to wreck this game. People will literally be on fire screaming for a return to Pirate Warrior after a turn 3 dropping of felhound drops a fist on opponent's minion, and summons a silverware golem, or buffs your clutchmother.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
So I just starting getting into Hearthstone and I love it. However, I'm pretty torn, as it seems like a huge investment especially since I'm starting so late. I can't get past rank 20 with the basic cards you start out with and it's pretty frustrating getting paired up against people with legendaries.

How are the adventures? I see they are disappearing from the shop soon and am wondering if I should pick them up before that happens.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I haven't spent a dime of my own money (I have gotten about $100 worth of gift cards) - lately i'm playing around rank 17-18 because I keep making new decks and can't find anything I really enjoy right now.

My son has spent $0 and is a very casual player - he was rank 15 last week with a very modest dragon priest. He runs an aggro hunter that is still viable to climb to 13-14.

Just the last expansion created quite a few viable decks - I've run a couple 80% gadgetzan-cards decks recently and climbed 20 to 15 quickly.

So, yeah, the game is definitely enjoyable and competitive if you get a few packs a week from your dailies, etc. It's tough to hit single digits w/o certain cards. It's sort of embarrassing i'm coming up on my 3rd year playing and I still don't have Ragnaros, Doctor Boom or Ysera.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I still haven't pre-ordered the new packs. I probably should for completist sake. You know, for the card back at least.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So I just starting getting into Hearthstone and I love it. However, I'm pretty torn, as it seems like a huge investment especially since I'm starting so late. I can't get past rank 20 with the basic cards you start out with and it's pretty frustrating getting paired up against people with legendaries.

How are the adventures? I see they are disappearing from the shop soon and am wondering if I should pick them up before that happens.

I can tell you for a fact that you can compete even if you just joined.

Some decks are stupid OP, like agro pirate warrior. Don't worry about beating those. A retarded monkey can get legend with that deck.

But if you know the cards really well, you have something that most decks don't have - the element of surprise.

I have a F2P account that I play with. It was started about 2 months ago. It gets to rank 17, and it doesn't have a lot of cards (it will have less to work with when tomorrow's "new year" rotates out most of my cards). But it's still ok, and a lot of fun.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
After day 1, i recommend no one pay to get packs. The game is currently broken AF by the rogue quest.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
How do quests work? I ran the Hunter quest and in the three games I played it was in my hand first spot every starting draw. I assume this is how it works.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
How do quests work? I ran the Hunter quest and in the three games I played it was in my hand first spot every starting draw. I assume this is how it works.

That's exactly how it works.

you can only run one quest, so don't bother trying to priest steal an opponent's quest
but you can steal an opponent's quest reward, through mindvision, mind control tech + youthful brew master, etc.

First person to play the quest reward typically wins.

some rewards are easier to get than others (rogue is easy; mage can be hard).

Some rewards are horrible (hunter's sucks).

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I can tell you for a fact that you can compete even if you just joined.

Some decks are stupid OP, like agro pirate warrior. Don't worry about beating those. A retarded monkey can get legend with that deck.

But if you know the cards really well, you have something that most decks don't have - the element of surprise.

I have a F2P account that I play with. It was started about 2 months ago. It gets to rank 17, and it doesn't have a lot of cards (it will have less to work with when tomorrow's "new year" rotates out most of my cards). But it's still ok, and a lot of fun.

I actually peaked at rank 17 using mage at the end of last season with just basic cards and a handful of rares from free packs, but a lot of it was luck. I quickly went back to 20, usually not being able to compete against decks that had multiple legendaries. So, I started spending money on the game despite me telling myself I wouldn't.

I've only really played mage, so I'm still learning what other cards classes have and try to play around those possibilities. I need to start playing some other classes, but I'm terrible at building decks.