King of Fighters Producer Masaaki Kukino May Have Once Again Parted Ways with SNK Playmore

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
KOF XIII was amazing in every way except art style and game play.

So you're saying it was all eye-candy with no real gameplay.

Yeah, 0 fucks givin about this guy.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Wow, I'm surprised to hear so much "meh" for XIII. I thought it was great - def one of my faves. And IIRC a lot of people on here loved it when it first came out.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Wow, I'm surprised to hear so much "meh" for XIII. I thought it was great - def one of my faves. And IIRC a lot of people on here loved it when it first came out.

Agreed. While I'm not a huge fan of Nona's art style for the sprites, the rest of the game was really spot on all around. Definitely a quality entry to the series.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Besides the crappy online mode, XIII was perfect for me. I just wish they bothered to release another edition of it with fixed online and more characters.

Fygee

20 Year Member
The online mode on Steam works pretty good. Much better than the consoles.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The only issue I had with online on 360 was a half-second pause after "fight!" before you could move.

And yeah, I definitely didn't love the art style. I thought it was a little more bearable than XII but definitely not my cup of tea. I wish they just reused the XI designs and redrew them at a higher res.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I was happy with XIII (not too crazy about the roster), but why is this guys departure even news?

Was there ever so much as a chance in hell of these guys actually working on KOF 14?

housethemous

New Challenger
I was happy with XIII (not too crazy about the roster), but why is this guys departure even news?

Was there ever so much as a chance in hell of these guys actually working on KOF 14?

I never heard of anything definitive. From what I can see SNKP is just focused on handhelds and re-hashed older titles on newer platforms.

Fygee

20 Year Member

I'd actually be shocked if they weren't. KOF is their last remaining title they have with any chance at having a solid presence with on consoles.

The bigger question is what kind of title is going to be, and when will they decide to share that information with us.

Knowing SNKP, it'll come out of the blue one day. I'm hoping before the end of the year due to the anniversary, but that looks increasingly in doubt.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
last remaining title they have with any chance at having a solid presence with on consoles.

You say this like they even CARE about having ANY presence on consoles, much less a "solid" one.

Your optimism is nice, but lets not forget that SNKP is little more than a software sweatshop that some local Yakuza uses for pachinko generated money laundering.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
lol @ all these newfags rolling their eyes and saying "meh" over KOF XIII. Either you don't really give a shit about the series to begin with, or you weren't around/didn't pay attention to the shitty KOFs that rolled out in the 2000s. KOF XIII was a return fantastic game play with stunning visuals. Nobody thinks you're cute or hip because KOF 94 is your favorite, either.

lol @ all these newfags rolling their eyes and saying "meh" over KOF XIII. Either you don't really give a shit about the series to begin with, or you weren't around/didn't pay attention to the shitty KOFs that rolled out in the 2000s. KOF XIII was a return fantastic game play with stunning visuals. Nobody thinks you're cute or hip because KOF 94 is your favorite, either.

Agreed.
I thought KOF XIII was a return to greatness, albeit one that was a few characters short of being called a masterpiece (hence the reason why I, at one point, thought that KOF XIV would be a dream match, done in the same style of its predecessor, but with more characters and the option to choose between either KOF XI or KOF XIII's fighting styles and modes). Now, I know a number of people were apathetic about Masaaki Kukino's departure, but not me. If anything, I worry that KOF XIV (if it ever does happen) will end up like KOF XII (looks nice, but lacks character diversity, solid gameplay and/or is devoid of replay value). (And yes, I am aware of the irony of what I just said.)

I'm suprised SNKP didn't do anything more with the rest of thier ip's in recent years, apart from releases and ports the King of fighter series only seem to be the one that springs to mind that had anything New New if that makes any sense.

The art style for XIII seemed a bit off for me for some reason, still waiting for my copy of XIV to turn up so dunno how that will be.

But if SNKP does something more that would be a nice suprise.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Nice n00b bump.

They did what they could within their budget, and also focus on pachinko as that's where the money was at the time. With KOF 14 and their rebranding back to SNK instead of SNKP, obviously this has changed.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'm suprised SNKP didn't do anything more with the rest of thier ip's in recent years, apart from releases and ports the King of fighter series only seem to be the one that springs to mind that had anything New New if that makes any sense.

The art style for XIII seemed a bit off for me for some reason, still waiting for my copy of XIV to turn up so dunno how that will be.

But if SNKP does something more that would be a nice suprise.

Yeah thats great, go fuck yourself.

But didn't they change thier focus when they were sold to that chinese investment group, but not only that they wanted to move away from the pachinko and mobile sector being that SNK was/is known for thier games.

Give SNK thier due with its history of being bought, run into the ground and bankrupted and then resurrected afterwards by Playmore.

I just hope it wasn't all talk from SNK or thier owners regarding more game output. (Because its kind of disheartening when you see a comany bought out and usually gutted or the new owners don't know how to utilise the people and skills and the appeal.)

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Are you a spam bot from 2014 that's trying to develop a sense of its surroundings?

This new snk just threw the kitchen sink at this latest release.....and the arrangement with the tencent is equitable: the Chinese investors saw value in SNK's ips and are treating them with respect, and the Japanese devs reciprocated with not only more prominent Chinese representation in the game, but also korean and Latin American....where much of their fanbase hails from.

Snk is right on track IMO...the rest lies in the hands of the fans who will support them.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
And I apologize for being a cunt, but bumping a 2 year old thread to share some semi informed observations is bad form.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Are you a spam bot from 2014 that's trying to develop a sense of its surroundings?

This new snk just threw the kitchen sink at this latest release.....and the arrangement with the tencent is equitable: the Chinese investors saw value in SNK's ips and are treating them with respect, and the Japanese devs reciprocated with not only more prominent Chinese representation in the game, but also korean and Latin American....where much of their fanbase hails from.

Snk is right on track IMO...the rest lies in the hands of the fans who will support them.
tumblr_inline_mhd42tahAR1qz4rgp.gif

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I was so confused for a second until I saw that this thread was brought back from the dead. Trying to get that post count up I guess

And I apologize for being a cunt, but bumping a 2 year old thread to share some semi informed observations is bad form.

I'm sorry for bumping up an old post, I'm a bit of a newbie here and I apologise.. I was more of a long time lurker around here.