Neo Geo CD - Front Loader - CD drive problem (?) - Some advice

CountRaven

n00b
Hello people.

I want some technical support about Neo Front loading system.

The system reads CD perfectly. I have NO problem booting a game and playing it.

HOWEVER every time I put a CD (backups, I got no originals), I listen a noise from the drive. Then the reading process of the CD is happening.

Only one time as I was testing it, the CD I have put on the drive was not read by the system.

Anyway I want to make sure that my CD Drive would not die. So I am aksing the following:

1. What I should do?

2. Is there any way that I can clean the internal CD drive Kit? For rpevention reasons.

3. Is there any guide showing how to open the Neo CD Front Loader and make a clean process to the CD Kit?

4. For the case the the CD drive would be damaged are there any CD drive replacement units available and if yes, where I can find them?

Sorry for the questions, I know that thosetopics have been discusses in the past but I am new to the hardware world of Neo. As I am positng I am searching for more info on the tech support forum in here, but if you point me to the correct places / give me some answers, this would save some valuable time.

Thanks a lot.

Beharius

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
AFAIK they have the same CD drive as the Sega CD MODEL1. (Sony)

CountRaven

n00b
This is agreat first reply, I got somewhere to start from just in case.... Thanks a LOT!

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
BACKUPS damage & shorten the life span of the lens so if you use BACKUPS,STOP.
BB

Last edited:

CountRaven

n00b
BACKUPS damage & shorten the life span of the lens so if you use BACKUPS,STOP.
BB

Thanks for the adivce.

Can this strange sound be due to dirt on the lens?

Would a cleaning on the lens help at first for the soudn to stop and at second to expand the life of the drive?

It is an actual mechanical sound. I can not describe it in words, it is like a "long mechanical spin" caused before the game boot.

SOME MORE INFO:

SOMETIMES when I power on the console having a CD inside the drive, it would loop on the splash screen just during this noice and before it reads the actual CD. I have found a description of a similar synptom. Please see what Luke has to say on 4:50, it is a top loader model but the symptom is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hv3oGk9KUA

Focusing on my main quesitons I would like to know what should I do to have my drive cleaned and if this tactict would prevent a serious damage OTHERWISE how do I replace my drive. PLEASE see my firts post for details. Thanks A LOT!

Last edited:

CountRaven

n00b
So as per the given info the only option to replace the drive is ton find a used SEGA CD? Any other options? Any shops selling any kind of replacement kits?

Thanks a lot.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I would clean and lubricate the mechanical parts, then just look for a replacement laser on Ali Express. If its the same as the Sega CD its probably one of the JVC optima lasers, something like an OPT-6 or OPT-6S. Check it looks identical before ordering, and beware that sometimes those cheap chinese lasers aren't that great - I tend to buy 3 or more from a seller on there just to make sure 1 or 2 work OK. Quite surprised that its apparently the same as the Sega CD - is that the complete mechanism that's the same or what? Also, whilst we are on the subject, does anyone know of another system (or CD player in general) that uses the same drive as the top loader Neo CD? Beaps73 had what I think was a failed DSP chip (Sony) and I was wondering back then if there might be an alternative source for either the DSP chip or the drive board in general.

CountRaven

n00b
Also, whilst we are on the subject, does anyone know of another system (or CD player in general) that uses the same drive as the top loader Neo CD? Beaps73 had what I think was a failed DSP chip (Sony) and I was wondering back then if there might be an alternative source for either the DSP chip or the drive board in general.

Excellent question.

Top loader is also on my attention. I have one and its CD works perfect since now. But I am always anixous on replacement stuff.

Thanks for the rest of the info.

CountRaven

n00b
I wonder if there are any Neo Geo specified online shops that sell complete, CD replacement kits for Neo Geo CD systems. This way at last I should get something guaranteed to work with the Neo.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Toss those backups in the trash and get the real deal.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Does anyone know if the drive belt on the NGCD front loader is the same as the SCD1 drive belt? Mine needs replacement.

CountRaven

n00b
A bad update.

I tried today my front loader.

Now it will not read any kind of disk. It will just eject them out.

I even tried with an original audio CD, nothing.

Have not tried to clean the CD drive... Yet.

I think to get the replacement kit of the above link.

What do you think?

CountRaven

n00b
Thanks for the links. At list someone can get a general idea.
Are there any similar video guides for the Neo Geo CD system?

CountRaven

n00b
This is the point. That is why asking for some guides to show him. The guy is here but this will be his first contact with a broken Neo CD system.

Beharius

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
It's an old Sony unit. Not a custom SNK made thing. I had the link for the spare complete drive, but it's expensive. I will post it if I can find it.

CountRaven

n00b
It's an old Sony unit. Not a custom SNK made thing. I had the link for the spare complete drive, but it's expensive. I will post it if I can find it.

If anyone else got more info on this, please share. Thanks a lot!