SOTM November: Magical Night Dreams - Cotton Boomerang

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
16238201.jpg

boomerang.jpg

Score List:

ST-V, Saturn, and Emulation:

Settings: Difficulty Normal/2, Team Players 3, Initial Changes 2, no XYZ on Saturn ports (or we can do a separate scoring table).

Scoring Format: Name - Score - Stage - Max Chain - Max Hit - Platform

Code:
1)  pulstar - 4,456,600 - Stage 5 - 101 Chain - 32 Hit - ST-V
2)  Beelzebub - 3,750,300 - Stage 4 - 102 Chain - 313 Hit - Saturn
3)  Jeneki - 2,381,600 - Stage 5 - 41 Chain - 56 Hit - STV
4)  BerryTogart - 1.084.800 - Stage 3 - 27 chain - 31 hit - SSV/ST-V Emulation
5)  whisper2053 - 1,079,000 - Stage 2 - 43 Chain - 3 Hit - ST-V
6)  Neodogg - 851,700 - Stage 2 - 29 chain - 13 hit - Saturn 
7)
8)
9)
10)

I figure a few people (myself include) might not be too terribly familiar with the inner mechanics of this one, so I've been doing a lot of research in order to put up a tutorial of sorts here. Bear with me please :)

TUTORIAL:

Spoiler:
Layout: Stick + 3 buttons (A shoot, B grab/punch, C change/bomb)

Probably one of the most (if not THE most) important aspects of the game is the seal button. You use it to capture enemies (of potentially *any* size) in a bubble (the seal), which can then be picked up by your character.

While holding the seal press shoot to throw it forward, hold the seal button to put it in front of you. This seal can be used in two different ways: (1) defeat and seal further enemies by hitting them with the current seal, thus increasing the chain value for progressively higher rewards; (2) release the seal and hit it with regular shots in what’s called “pursuit” to increase a shot counter for more bonuses.

The seal disappears/expires if it’s left untouched for too long or if it hits an enemy that’s too strong (bosses and mid-bosses), in which case a huge ball whose size varies according to the chain value will be created and flown towards your current position.

The catch with the seals is that they behave according to the current element/shot type (dictated by your current character choice). Wind and light seals tend to drift up, ice seals plummet heavily and fire seals fall slower. Therefore, optimal seal types are preferred in certain situations – pursuit of an ice seal in open space is extremely difficult, for example. Furthermore, response to shots during pursuits varies depending on the element type. Ice seals are also heavier to carry, and it's easy to notice how the character goes down faster while holding one.

Command Moves
Cotton Boomerang is similar in some respects to Ai Cho Aniki in that it mixes Fighter-esque command moves into the mix that can be quite powerful/useful. Some examples:

6tLW9lHERPl9GCgRZBy0LYTxf2lRm.jpg

These command moves contribute to increased chaining as well, and can greatly affect your overall scoring.

There are others as well, but I am still trying to find them. If anyone has links to a complete move list for CB (not C2) on the net, shoot me a pm please!

Details of Scoring

Enemies
Small: 100
Mid-Boss: 50,000
Boss: 100,000
Boss Part: not sure
Shot (punched): 100
Formation Bonus: see below

You get a formation bonus of several k points for shooting up certain enemy formations. You get the bonus only if you destroy the last enemy in the formation with normal shot or (Idol/Change) bomb (not command shot or seal).

Chains
Chain Bonus (per 10th step): 500 x step# (up to 100k)
Quick Chain: 1,000 per step
Technical Bonus (end of stage): 1,000 per step

Pursuit
Hit: 100
Pursuit Bonus (per 10th hit): 100 x hit# (up to ??)

Items
Idol Bomb: 10,000 + 1,000 per hit
(thrown) Crystal Hit: 10,000
Level Bonus: 10,000
Excess Barrier: 10,000
Excess Change: 10,000
Willow: 1,000 per Chain step + 100 per Pursuit hit
Change Bonus (end of stage): 10,000 each

Tea Time
Get Grey/Red (Attack Bonus): 1,000
Shoot Grey: 500
Shoot Red: 1,000
Get White: Revival or 50,000
Shoot White: not sure
Secret Bonus: (stage# + 1) x 50,000

Anyways, now that the text wall is out of the way, Game on!

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Now that I understand how the scoring system works a bit better, I'm getting higher scores (sort of) than I was before, but surviving is WAAAY harder lol.

First run since doing all the research:

6tLY11s0mlZLDEAgYU2b1vsPrZhL2.jpg

whisper2053 - 477,700 - Stage 2 - 11 Chain - 11 Hit - ST-V

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
*score rescinded*

Never played this game before today, so far it's actually pretty fun. I like the scoring system a lot. I find my favorite character so far is the "Cotton" with the straight forward green shot. Her seals drift slowly up, but you can get them to attach to you as well and really rack up the hits.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see about turning off XYZ in the Saturn port, so I rescind my previous score.

New score with XYZ turned off.

Beelzebub - 1,788,700 - Stage 4 - 23 Chain - 97 Hit - Saturn

Cotton Boomerang Score 1,788,700.png

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I tried to Play this but on mameui64 it totally sucks (lag and horrible Sound) - any suggestions Emu wise? (Getting a Saturn just for the shmup of the month would be a bit over the top I guess ;))

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
*score rescinded*

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see about turning off XYZ in the Saturn port, so I rescind my previous score.

New score with XYZ turned off.

Beelzebub - 1,788,700 - Stage 4 - 23 Chain - 97 Hit - Saturn

No worries Beelz, I had just said that since the insta-button mapping gives such a huge advantage over the arcade players. I'll update your score now :)

I tried to Play this but on mameui64 it totally sucks (lag and horrible Sound) - any suggestions Emu wise? (Getting a Saturn just for the shmup of the month would be a bit over the top I guess ;))

I'm honestly not too up on the ST-V/Saturn emulation scene, Berry. Though, like Mendel said, you might have better luck using SSF (the Saturn emulator) and emulating the port.

Also, fwiw...if you're going to be a regular participator in the SotM comps, and don't own a Saturn..............

:angry:

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
SSF_010_alphaR1 - link the stv110.bin file in Options - after double clicking the exe of the Emu hold shift and load the game
thx whisp for helping me troubleshoot this

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Ok, so, I'm starting to get the hang of the scoring system in this. Right now my focus is on improving my score in the first couple of levels to what seems to be an 'acceptable' level, so here's where I'm at now:

6tNHhRRXLM8MdYPxVVyx9QYIXyDtO.jpg

whisper2053 - 1,079,000 - Stage 2 - 43 Chain - 3 Hit - ST-V

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Beelzebub - 2,134,000 - Stage 4 - 46 Chain - 54 Hit - Saturn

Cotton Boomerang Score 2,134,000.png

Starting to get a lot better chains on the first two levels. I'm really liking the wind elemental versions of Cotton and Appli. My third character is the fire version of Cotton, which I don't like nearly as much. Mainly because her seals sink instead of float so it throws my chaining off.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Looking like a damn fine showing, B! You're definitely on the right track it would see :D

Wish we had more people joining in, though. This is such a great game, but I think many are thrown off by the 'cute' and aren't willing to give it a chance :(

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Looking like a damn fine showing, B! You're definitely on the right track it would see :D

Wish we had more people joining in, though. This is such a great game, but I think many are thrown off by the 'cute' and aren't willing to give it a chance :(

Yeah I'm really starting to get the hang of chaining and controlling my seals. Now I just have to practice Stage 3 a bit more to maximize my score. Stage 4 is where it starts to get pretty intense though. You really have to watch out for the giant snow/ice balls that fall from above. One touch from them and you're dead. That's what got me in quick succession on my last run.

I agree, though it is the beginning of the month still, so only time will tell. Heck, even I was thrown off by it's cuteness, but it's actually quite a challenging game. With a very unique scoring method. Definitely a nice change of pace from the standard shmup fare.

EDIT: I don't really know how to bring in more participants, but I made a participation badge for our sigs. Might give it a little bit more attention...

SOTN November 2014 Cotton Boomerang Participation Badge Alternate FINAL.png

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yeah I'm really starting to get the hang of chaining and controlling my seals. Now I just have to practice Stage 3 a bit more to maximize my score. Stage 4 is where it starts to get pretty intense though. You really have to watch out for the giant snow/ice balls that fall from above. One touch from them and you're dead. That's what got me in quick succession on my last run.

I agree, though it is the beginning of the month still, so only time will tell. Heck, even I was thrown off by it's cuteness, but it's actually quite a challenging game. With a very unique scoring method. Definitely a nice change of pace from the standard shmup fare.

EDIT: I don't really know how to bring in more participants, but I made a participation badge for our sigs. Might give it a little bit more attention...

View attachment 20257

Sweet!

Man, you've got skillz.

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
pulstar - 1,768,700 - Stage 3 - 93 Chain - 9 Hit - STV

SAM_2740_zps122a206f.jpg

I really like Cotton:) Have to put in a little more reading time in regards to the Chain/Hit system (Max 9 hit?:( )

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
pulstar - 2,655,900 - Stage 4 - 101 Chain - 9 Hit - STV

Another small update seeing as I had time before work this morning.

SAM_2741_zpsa9fdcb84.jpg

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Cheers guys:) I'm pretty busy over the next week or so, so I thought I'd cram in as many tries as possible in the few days that I'm free. Tried again this evening but haven't beat it yet...I'm thinking that maybe I fluked it...

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Probably won't be getting much game time in for the next 4-5 days, as I have something of a 'surprise' move on my hands that we're dealing with. Once I'm set up in the new place, I'll get right back on the horse and see if I can catch up to you 2 million guys :P

I'll still be watching the thread though, and updating scores as necessary...and on that note, there's some really great stuff happening here. Keep up the good work, and keep those scores climbing up up up!

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
not sure what happened but best of luck for solving the issue and thank you for the heads up

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I fired this up for the first, interesting game. The highest I got was 376xxx, going to have to read that tutorial and post back.