I'm old and cranky

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
As I type this I'm currently waiting for one of my handhelds to finish updating so I can deactivate it from my PSN account.

The last time I turned on my PS3, Vita, TV, blu-ray player, and computer they all required mandatory software updates, as did several of the games I wanted to try out.

I sure love spending the day waiting to use something when I typically only get a couple of hours to relax each week.

I think this more than anything else turns me off from modern technology.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
oAapmT3.png

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I'm there with you on that front.

The last thing I want to do is wait for a goddamn system update before I get to play some games. I haven't turned on my 360 or PS3 in months. Even my 3DS seems to ask for a shit ton of updates ever since I picked up Super Smash Bros.

I've been playing my ROM Box, arcade pcbs, or some 16 bit system more than the recent gen systems because I can pick up a game and go.

Is it just me, or do any of you not have time to play time consuming multiplayer games anymore? The last gen game I used to play with friends was Gears of War 3's Horde Mode. That was before my son was born.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I encounter this problem all the time because I don't use all my consoles on a regular basis. On the other hand, the only reason it's bothering people like us is because we do lack the time. The PS3, for example, has only had two system updates in 2014, and typically has had them every 3 months on average for the life of the console. If you were playing the thing every day you wouldn't care; you might even be excited because some of these updates have fixed bugs or added features. Knowing this, it's probably good to turn on your systems once in a while just to see what kind of updates they need, like before you take a shower or something. Just update them when you're not in the mood to game. Or you could pull your internet access out and forget updating at all. I don't think any games ship without being able to play in an offline mode even if they have updates available.

Last edited:

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
On the subject of adding features, it's been 8 years and I still can't fucking organize downloaded PS3 content alphabetically (unless I want to organize them manually and use some retarded, convoluted folder system). Why Sony?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
:rolleyes:

Yeah it's annoying,still i see no sign of it slowing down.Sony will probably keep doing it until the console is dead.Rarely i have to deal with it since i'm not all ways playing a game on the PS3.Any time there is a update i'll play game on another console.

Last edited:

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
yep, gotta hate those long wait times! I had a buddy of mine lose a lot of his data on his ps3 since it messed up on him. Luckily he has some of his data stored in his playstation plus account and was downloading something for an ace combat game and it literally took 4 hours just to upload the info for that ace combat game. The constant updates are annoying as shit

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
What's that weird wobbly effect on that video?

Idiot uploader activating jewtubes anti-shaky cam feature (which is worthless) they suggested that on my latest video too and that was recorded via bandicam...

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
As I type this I'm currently waiting for one of my handhelds to finish updating so I can deactivate it from my PSN account.

The last time I turned on my PS3, Vita, TV, blu-ray player, and computer they all required mandatory software updates, as did several of the games I wanted to try out.

I sure love spending the day waiting to use something when I typically only get a couple of hours to relax each week.

You're younger than me, jackass. GET OFF MY LAWN!

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Playstation plus will help you out on some of that. Also what I tend to spend time updating every game I can as soon as I can for this t
reason. It's a nasty feeling when u dont have lot of time

The uncharted games were a birch for this iirc

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm actually afraid of turning on my PSP. It's been so long it may have become self aware by now.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

Haha I totally agree I personally don't own anything newer than a GameCube used to have a 360 but after going through 2 of those peices of shit I got rid of all my 360 stuff and to be honest there hasn't been a new game in years that got me intrigued into buying a new console

giggsy07

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Current gen consoles are shite.My bro has a 3 week old ps4 with no picture and flashing blue light.3 fucking weeks old.I told him to build a pc but would he listen.PC gaming rules..

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I've mellowed out gaming-wise over the past few years. I hardly play any longer games anymore, when I want to have fun, it's the cab, C64, Neo or Genny for me.

Updates don't really bother me, though. I mean, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool C64 and NeoCD gamer so loading times or updating is no prob for me. However, I really don't like the beta-testing aspect that comes with it. Many games these get rushed out to compensate for their high cost of development and the customers become involuntary beta-testers.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I don't have any problem with ps3 updates, they take like 10 seconds?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

Preach it brotha. It seems like I'm always updating the PS3 and Vita too.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
On the subject of adding features, it's been 8 years and I still can't fucking organize downloaded PS3 content alphabetically (unless I want to organize them manually and use some retarded, convoluted folder system). Why Sony?

This.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I've been thinking about buying a 360.
Think it's about the right time.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

Man this right here. Man there is so much wrong with PSN and the PS3 user interface its frustrating. Everytime I think about organizing my games I think of how long its gonna take to manually build a folder for each of them.

FUCK THAT

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have about had it with updating shit...and yes, it is REALLY turning me off to modern technology. Go to use my phone, it wants me to update the OS, go to get on my computer...it tells me to update a bunch of shit. Turn on my Apple TV...it tries to force an update, open up iTunes...a mother fucking update is available. IPad? Same thing. Get a new gaming console...a 90 min update is required right out of the motherfucking box. Buy a new game? You have to update that shit the second you run it...and update the system on the fly randomly when it locks you out of gameplay until you do...

What in the fist-fuck is it with this onslaught of constant update demands on everything that is connected to any network? It is getting unbelievably old...

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Buy a new game? You have to update that shit the second you run it...

This is what gets on my nerve the most. No developer finish their games anymore, they just rely on day one updates.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
The Vita isn't too bad on updates, that system seems to zip along pretty well.

X360 gets me on frequency, but they tend to be small fast updates, which I can deal with.

PS3 tho? Idk if the US servers are made from corrogated cardboard or something but those updates take forever, even for small 0.01v+ updates.

Nintendo's system updates tend to be slow too, hope they keep working on optimizing that stuff. Also, they need to drop support on that pad, the pad specific updates are getting iritating too.