Gradius (Arcade) Commentary + Tips

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
2 speedups and two options with double is actually the easiest with keeping rank down. I have beaten this one around 120 times and found this setup is actually the best. Great vid though :D

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
hey kp does it hurt when you walk around with your massive nuts!? :lolz:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
hey kp does it hurt when you walk around with your massive nuts!? :lolz:

Sadly mine are the size of peas :lolz:
All jokes aside, Gradius is literally one of my top 5 games of all time and I have spent massive time with the arcade, famicom, and many other ports. I don't know what it is about the game but I can't get enough of the first game! I still have the NES cart my grandmother bought years ago for the "family" NES she had. I didn't even find out about the arcade till many years later and then promptly played the piss out of it in emu, then in the Saturn port. I have pulled of a no miss clear of the Fami port and also the deluxe pack port. One day I hope to get a Nemesis board to work as well. ;)

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I prefer the Nemesis version, it's a bit more fair when you die, but that's also because I haven't played the Gradius series as much as others so I kinda suck.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Great video, thanks! Makes me want to play this game again.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I will always fear this game, it terrifies me relentlessly.

(I reaaaaaally suck at it :()

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Nice vid. Played II on the Famicom and III on the SNES since their release and still loves them.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Great vid as always Ex_Mosquito. Classic game. Gradius II was a huge step forward, both in stage design, bosses, and difficulty (but the first is still a fun romp).

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Okay, so I'm not the greatest arcade game player, but I've never seen anyone do that double-tab you're doing to rapid-fire bullets. Are you hitting the same button both times or are you hitting one for shot and one for missile?

I only watched one level and I've already learned a ton by watching you play. Would love to see a Gradius II/Vulcan Venture vid. That's one of my favorite games of all time but I can't beat it on Normal. (Sad, eh?) The Gauntlet level fucks me every time.

Cheers guys.

@Psygnosis8: heya mate. Yeah I'm double tapping with my middle finger and Index finger on the fire button. It's a technique used in street fighter games and 2D fighters to maximise inputs for moves but I find it useful for all types of games. :)

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Always love this game. :D

I've cleared Gradius a number of times, but never one-lifed it. The rank-drop always keeps me playing after an oops.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Thanks for posting the video. I love konami shooters and especially gradius. I just got famicom nemesis and nemesis 2 today actually. I only had a chance to play part 2 for a minute and loved it. I hope to find an arcade version someday.