It's time to Fall Back!!!

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Daylight Saving Time comes to an end in the United States this Sunday at 2 am so set you clocks back an hour before you go to bed and get that extra hour of sleep :tickled:

Note that Hawaii and Arizona (except the Navajo Nation) do not observe DST so you guys don't need to fiddle with the fabric of space and time...

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Been working 3rd shift for the last ten years and have yet to get that "extra hour of sleep" you've referred to. I usually have to stay until 8 am to get 8 hours on those nights.

Jon

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
This is gonna fuck me up royally. I gotta get up at 5AM on Sunday to get a flight out to Las Vegas. That makes me extra jet-lagged and I end up going to sleep at 8:30 Las Vegas local time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Darker earlier... great.

This.

I fucking hate this shit...by Dec it will be dark all the time. Here in Illinois, it will be dark by 4:30pm at its worst. Length of day near the winter solstice is around 9hrs or so which translates to 1hr or rise, 1hr of set and about 7 hrs of actual daylight...it is depressing as shit...

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I think we'd be better off without daylight savings time altogether--you're not getting any more, or less, daylight, regardless of how you assign the hours (i.e., if there are nine hours of daylight in the winter, what difference does it make if the sun rises at 7 or 8 o'clock? You're still only going to get nine hours of light total whatever way you organize the hours). The government claims it saves on energy, but every business, school, hospital, etc. I've ever been inside has all of their lights on, all of the time (except when they're closed), regardless of whether or not it's a sunny day outside or overcast. Likewise, a lot of people have their lights on in their apartments/houses whether they really need them on or not. Humans are just wasteful, period.

All that said, I go to sleep anywhere from 8 PM to 3-4 AM, depending on what I'm doing, so, the time change doesn't mess with my schedule, simply because it's irregular to begin with.

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yup. I'm looking forward to going into work while it's still dark outside, and then when I leave at the end of the day it's dark again.

This exactly. I'm lucky enough to have a big window in my office, but arriving and leaving when it's dark just makes the work day seem longer.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Note that Hawaii and Arizona (except the Navajo Nation) do not observe DST so you guys don't need to fiddle with the fabric of space and time...

Why?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This exactly. I'm lucky enough to have a big window in my office, but arriving and leaving when it's dark just makes the work day seem longer.

I have no windows, so the only sunlight I see in the middle of winter is on my lunch break.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States

Arizona
...Arizona has not observed DST since 1967. This is in large part due to energy conservation: Phoenix and Tucson are among the hottest US metropolitan areas during the summer, resulting in more power usage from air conditioning units and evaporative coolers in homes and businesses. An extra hour of sunlight while people are active would cause people to run their cooling systems longer, thereby using more energy…

Navajo Nation
The Navajo Indian Reservation, which extends into two adjacent states, Utah and New Mexico, does observe daylight saving time. [Note that New Mexico and Utah observe DST]…

Hawaii
...Because of Hawaii's tropical latitude, there is not a large variation in daylight length between winter and summer. Advancing the clock in Hawaii would make sunrise times close to 7:00 a.m. even in June...

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
Isn't Arizona on the border of Mountain and Pacific timezones? Does that mean when the clocks go back, according to that map, Arizona would be the same time as Central Time? This is confusing...

AZ is on pacific time half the year and mountain time the other half. Thats why it has diagonal purple lines on your map. The Navajo Nation is all pink.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
AZ is on pacific time half the year and mountain time the other half. Thats why it has diagonal purple lines on your map. The Navajo Nation is all pink.

Honest to fucking god, I was reading 'Navajo Nation' as 'Navajo Station'. I had it in my head that it was some kind of scientific weather research station out of Fallout New Vegas or something like that.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Isn't Arizona on the border of Mountain and Pacific timezones? Does that mean when the clocks go back, according to that map, Arizona would be the same time as Central Time? This is confusing...
Arizona observes Mountain Standard Time all year. During Daylight Saving Time, time in Arizona is the same as Pacific Daylight Time.

Arizona also does not observe MLK. High percentage of the Arizona voter base is douchebags.

76% of them in fact:
Former Arizona governor Governor Bruce Babbitt, a Democrat, created the holiday in Arizona by executive order just before he left office in 1986, but his Republican successor Evan Mecham, armed with an attorney general's opinion that Babbitt's order was illegal, rescinded it days after he took office. In 1989, the Arizona state legislature replaced Columbus Day with the King holiday. In 1990, Arizonans were given the opportunity to vote to observe an MLK holiday. In 1990 the National Football League threatened to move the Super Bowl that was planned to be in Arizona in 1993 if the MLK holiday was voted down. The state legislature passed a measure to keep both Columbus Day and Martin Luther King Day, but 76% of voters rejected the King holiday. Consequently, the state "lost $500 million and the Super Bowl" which moved to Pasadena, California. In a referendum in 1992, the voters approved recognition of the holiday
New Hampshire was the last to state to have a named MLK Day holiday and technically in Arizona, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is known as "Martin Luther King, Jr./Civil Rights Day".

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've got a question for any of you that frequent bars: My Aunt told me that, on Daylight Savings Time day, they make everybody go outside at 2 AM, change the clocks, then let everybody back inside the bar again for another hour before finally closing. Sounds like rubbish to me, but I don't drink, so I wouldn't know. Is that the real deal? Maybe they did that years ago or something?

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Been working 3rd shift for the last ten years and have yet to get that "extra hour of sleep" you've referred to. I usually have to stay until 8 am to get 8 hours on those nights.

Jon

Extra hour of overtime is always nice.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
How's this for a mega-bump:

Daylight Saving Time comes to an end in the United States this Sunday at 2 am so set you clocks back an hour before you go to bed and get that extra hour of sleep :tickled:

Of course this year if you're going to that late night Halloween party this gives you the excuse to stay out an extra hour :tickled:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
yaaay. I work graveyards, and instead of working 10 hours, I will work the 2:00 AM hour twice. and yet not get paid.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Jon

Third shift fall back sucks. I feel for you. When I worked 3rd shift at the hospital that mean't a 13.5 hour shift. 12.5 is shitty enough.

How's this for a mega-bump:

Of course this year if you're going to that late night Halloween party this gives you the excuse to stay out an extra hour :tickled:

Is that legal? I always got paid an extra hour on fall back.

Last edited: