Daedalus , 161 in 1 Cart resetting with Neo Drift Out

s8n187

Quiz Detective
hi members i got a problem...........

i bought a Daedalus and a 161 in 1 Cart , when i play Neo Drift Out about 2-3 minutes later the game resets. I have played without a reset twice and the other 4 times the game reset.

when i first played the game there was a GFX glitch when i finish a race and it says ' finished ' half of the graphic was missing. So i cleaned the Daedalus , 161 in 1 Cart and my Neo Geo AES and that solved the problem.

but still i have the reset problem , ive taken some photos of my Power Supply and the bottom of my AES.

Jlas0G.jpg

F1JI8F.jpg

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I am guessing its either a dirty connection, glitchy NVPROM on the 161, or lack of power.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
hi Gadget and Xian , thanks for your help i forgot to mention in my first post that when i ran the AES for some time the whole room smelled like burning solder or like a component was cooking also the Power Supply was hot as hell to touch

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
hi Gadget and Xian , thanks for your help i forgot to mention in my first post that when i ran the AES for some time the whole room smelled like burning solder or like a component was cooking also the Power Supply was hot as hell to touch

My AES came wih that exact same power supply. It died some time ago. I replaced it with a power adapter from a scanner (9V @ 2A) and have not had any issues with the AES since then. Even my 161 works fine through a converter, albeit not a daedalus.

Regards.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
sweet info aha thanks for that , if it is the Power that is the problem i will get another one from element14 if i order within 8-9 hours id probably get it by Friday

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
850 mah is a little low for a home cart system, I think. it's the correct rating for the Famicom, which is probably what that adapter is made for. The stock supply was 1000 IIRC, I usually use a Genesis 1 supply which is 1.2 A or something like that.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Sounds like the PSU might need recapping! One point to note - never throw SNK or Hori PSUs away when they fail - stick them on EBAY as faulty - people repair these and keep this old original kit going for years to come.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
hi guys im back , ive had the replacement Power Supply since last Thursday and been reluctant to try it. But today i bit the bullet and tried Neo Drift Out , and yeah it rebooted so i reseated the Daedalus and tried KOF 98 i played 7 matches no problems. I turned the AES off and then tried Neo Drift Out , no reboot...........i turned off the AES and pulled out the Daedalus and reseated it , tried Neo Drift Out and got corrupted GFX. So again reseat and tried again , no GFX problem and no reset.

to me it seems im having a AES Cart slot problem causing the resets.............

what do you think ?

btw i have one legit AES Cart and that gave me Sound glitching once but after a reseat no problems

s8n187

Quiz Detective
i did a couple of things since my last post..............

cleaned all Chip legs with Isopropyl Alcohol and a Q-Tip , and i put a AES Cart in turned it on and tapped on all Chips............no reboot

s8n187

Quiz Detective
hi guys , im still having the reset problem with Neo Drift Out even after buying another 161 in 1 Cart !

ive also reflowed the solder on the Cart Slot pins and replaced the Power Jack Connector with a new one to no avail , ive bought Contact Cleaner and cleaned the Cart Slot pins , Daedalus and 161

so it seems the problem lies in the Daedalus or the Neo Geo AES , im thinking of replacing all the Capacitors on the AES and buying new Cart Slots

btw the switch on the Daedalus is facing towards the back of the Cart , im thinking of switching it to the front and seeing what happens but i prefer to ask here in case its a bad idea.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I think the problem is with the 161 itself, probably another of its multiple issues/bugs. If all your other carts work fine, then chances are the problem is not in the converter/aes.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think the problem is with the 161 itself, probably another of its multiple issues/bugs. If all your other carts work fine, then chances are the problem is not in the converter/aes.

Exactly, these multicarts don't go through any quality control. They are just assembled and sold, if there are any defects then you go back to the seller. At one point I was going to carry these multicarts in my store until I saw how many were being returned, not worth my time.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
thanks aha and Xian your responses are much appreciated , im going to try and get my money back for both Carts............

hopefully its a hassle free return i really dont want any more trouble