Repros on ebay are getting a bit out of hand

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
lol. i used to sell this exact thing in my shop for $50. shipped even.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I have no problem with this at all.

I don't care about people selling repros, but passing it off as legit is another thing.

lol. i used to sell this exact thing in my shop for $50. shipped even.

Isn't there a guy making these for like $40 on Nintndoage or some repro website? I imagine that's where he got it and flipping it by passing it off as the real deal at 4x the price.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't care about people selling repros, but passing it off as legit is another thing.

Isn't there a guy making these for like $40 on Nintndoage or some repro website? I imagine that's where he got it and flipping it by passing it off as the real deal at 4x the price.

He's not passing it off as the real deal. It says reproduction in the description.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Genesis repros are the easiest to do and the cheapest to make. This cart worth $25-30ish, probably $35-$45 CIB.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
He's not passing it off as the real deal. It says reproduction in the description.

That information should be in the title (and to go the extra step, watermarked on the image).

. . . if someone can explain how you can have a "CIB" item that's a reproduction, enlighten me. There's nothing to complete. It's a made up item. When you use up your character limit on that type of language ( + "ultra rare!!!") and fail to mention reproduction, you're looking to deceive for at least as long as it takes to read the description - and hoping to cash in on someone not noticing. I like how CIB 100% COMPLETE is in red to stand out, but "reproduction" is not (and on the next line, at least on my screen - nice way to hide the language).

Fuck that guy.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That information should be in the title (and to go the extra step, watermarked on the image).

. . . if someone can explain how you can have a "CIB" item that's a reproduction, enlighten me. There's nothing to complete. It's a made up item. When you use up your character limit on that type of language ( + "ultra rare!!!") and fail to mention reproduction, you're looking to deceive for at least as long as it takes to read the description - and hoping to cash in on someone not noticing. I like how CIB 100% COMPLETE is in red to stand out, but "reproduction" is not.

Fuck that guy.

I agree, I'm not saying that this guy is not a scum bag. Clearly he's setting a trap.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I agree, I'm not saying that this guy is not a scum bag. Clearly he's setting a trap.

I had to type more than one sentence because I admit I didn't catch it my first read through. He got me - at least for 15 seconds.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Isn't commercial piracy, you know, blatantly against eBay's TOS?

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
He has also other expansive titles but ultra-sunfaded. Could describe it the new proof of authenticity.

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
I have no problem with repros, especially those that were never released in other territories, but those that mislead is another matter. That price is no where near what it should be and is clearly there to confused buyers.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I probably have a dozen or so repro's in my collection. Most of them are translated games like Star Ocean and Sailor Moon: Another Story for SFC. The games that are donor carts, sports games, I really could give a crap about saccing them...no one cares.

The one game that I have that bothers me is Mr. Gimmick. The game requires a Batman: Return of the Joker NES cart to be sacced in order for it to be made...it's the only game that will work with it. As a result, the price on Return of the Joker has gone up quite a bit over the last two years. It would not surprise me if, in ten years, that half, or more, of them were made into converted Gimmicks...that needs to stop.

Jon

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Pretty sure Gimmick can be done with new parts as well, I used to do a lot of design work for Timewalk Games and we were completely donor free by the end. Pretty sure it was all based off Infinite Nes Lives Lives PCBs.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Pretty sure Gimmick can be done with new parts as well, I used to do a lot of design work for Timewalk Games and we were completely donor free by the end. Pretty sure it was all based off Infinite Nes Lives Lives PCBs.

That's good to hear. However, not everyone that's doing the custom cart thing is doing this, unfortunately. When the sacced sports games are cheaper than the new NES pcb's, it really doesn't make sense as a business model.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Sapphire actually was a pressed disc. This is a CD-R and yes in person you can easy flip the cd over and see the dye.
How many ebay auctions for cd based games actually show the bottom? I don't see the point in selling these unless you are planning on scamming someone.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sapphire actually was a pressed disc. This is a CD-R and yes in person you can easy flip the cd over and see the dye.
How many ebay auctions for cd based games actually show the bottom? I don't see the point in selling these unless you are planning on scamming someone.

Exactly.

And I reported it. :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There was a time when ebay didn't allow this. I just dont think they can keep up.

I don't mind if they are clearly labeled repro. It's the ones that are counterfeit that are more of an issue. PC Engine SCD's are approaching AES counterfeit levels. I wouldn't buy any of the high cost items just because there are sooo many fakes out there now.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
There was a time when ebay didn't allow this. I just dont think they can keep up.

I don't mind if they are clearly labeled repro. It's the ones that are counterfeit that are more of an issue. PC Engine SCD's are approaching AES counterfeit levels. I wouldn't buy any of the high cost items just because there are sooo many fakes out there now.

They're not hard to detect, if they're just CD-Rs. Just ask your drive to look for ATIP data. eBay's policy should easily give you a quick refund in that case.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They're not hard to detect, if they're just CD-Rs. Just ask your drive to look for ATIP data. eBay's policy should easily give you a quick refund in that case.

They are pressings now, and it's quite prevalent.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
This is almost as bad as those idiots selling blank CD-R's with the game labels printed on them. That shit drives me crazy.