How to tell the region of an MVS board without firing it up?

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Is there an easy way to tell? Something printed on the BIOS chip or something?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
They are all the same, region depends on the Bios you are running in the mobo. So look at the label I guess?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
They all use the same label format on the chip (sometimes your MVS board has an EPROM with a paper sticker).

Example: SP-S3

SP = Neo Geo BIOS chip (as apposed to the LO ROM or SFIX ROM)
S = Spanish, there's also U for USA
3 = Version of BIOS

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm assuming J for Japan etc? I'm looking at a board for sale and won't be able to afford NBM/Unibios right away, wondering what language I will be looking at til then. Thanks!

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I'm assuming J for Japan etc? I'm looking at a board for sale and won't be able to afford NBM/Unibios right away, wondering what language I will be looking at til then. Thanks!

Nevermind I'm an idiot

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

I forget what letter Japan uses but I do know it's not J.

Err, forgot to mention that SNK's "Spanish" BIOS means it's for Europe.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
As stated, the BIOS you are running on your motherboard will dictate what language your game will play. With the unibios, you can switch the language and region settings as you wish. All MVS boards will run the region bios that they dictate, so I can take a Metal Slug cart and play it in two different region motherboards and they will say different languages.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Sweet. SP-S3, so it looks like the games will be in English at least until I get my unibios installed. Thanks guys.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I forget what letter Japan uses but I do know it's not J.

Err, forgot to mention that SNK's "Spanish" BIOS means it's for Europe.

Japan is most definitely represented with a J. I have an SP-J2 bios sitting in front of me that boots up in Japanese.