For the coffee fanatics...cold brew? Anyone else drink it?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I can't stand regular coffee, but McDs iced coffee with vanilla isn't too bad. I like the frappachinos too. Nothing fancy.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Strained first patch last night...it took a coffee maker "gold" metal mesh filter as well as a t-shirt to get it 100% crystal clear.

Not as thick as the stuff my co-worker bought but it was good for a first try. Tried a 50/50 brew/hot water mix and it produced an extremely smooth cup...a bit weak though. Straight up with a touch of 1/2+1/2 was extremely tasty. I'm assuming the caffeine content must have been sky-high as the 6-8oz I consumed hit me hard, and I'm not all that caffeine sensitive anymore.

This batch was made in the fridge and left for 24 hrs, I started another last night and left it out at room temp to brew...I'll strain it out tonight and see how it goes...
any major difference between room temp and chilled soaking?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Continuing to screw around...

Second (and third) batches were made room temp...and produced a better product. Everything I have done at this point has been a 24hr cycle. For a heads up...2/3c coffee (yes, cups, I don't own a scale) and 3c of water will yield 2c of product after filtering. Too temp made a fuller taste than in the fridge.

The t-shirt seems to be a 100% needed step as it gets the ultra fine soot out. My co-workers have a steep type basket system and my mother lent me her Toddy maker...all leave that soot in the coffee. The final t-shirt method makes the coffee crystal clear and leaves a ultra fine paste behind...

I tried a lighter roast, more "fruity" coffee (Costa Rico) and I found it to be far superior to the Columbian/Tanzanian peaberry. Much deeper flavor and less ash flavor. For that batch I made a 1c coffee to 4.5c water, 24hrs. It yielded enough product to fill a old 5th of tequila bottle I had sitting around.

So...my current batch is at 24hrs and I'm going to let it go for 36 to see how it differs.

And on I go...what can I say, I'm a dork and I love shit like this.

I may try a 3-day in the fridge batch to see how it comes out...

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ok…so, the 36hr test set did not produce any significant results, it tastes nearly identical to the 24hr cycle. Once again, these results are great…but fall short of what I really am chasing (you know, chasing that damn dragon).

My stagnant results have lead me to consider alternative methods of extraction. I noticed that BB0tE guy uses cold vacuum extraction which sadly, after research, I do not wish to pursue. Way too much $$ for a setup of that nature.

So…….how about pressurization?

I did some "light" reading last night and found that people have been successful using a pressurized container to make cold press coffee. Refusing to buy a $100 whipped cream flask and CO2 carts, I decided to rig up my own.

DSCN2614_zps2d1503e4.jpg

(A $3 bike inner tube and a partial bottle of V8 had to give their lives for this monstrosity)

Either way…I managed to safely take the pressure up to 40psi (I wanted 100)…although I'm not entirely convinced about the prolonged exposure to such pressure. The bottle is residing next to our water heater and wrapped in a towel in the basement should a rupture occur.

I will let this sit until tomorrow after work and check it periodically to see if it is holding pressure properly…

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Either way…I managed to safely take the pressure up to 40psi (I wanted 100)…although I'm not entirely convinced about the prolonged exposure to such pressure. The bottle is residing next to our water heater and wrapped in a towel in the basement should a rupture occur...

Coffee bomb! Interested to see how this works, but
not sure I'd try this one at home ;)

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
from what I've read pressurization should produce a richer extraction

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
from what I've read pressurization should produce a richer extraction

That's my goal. I really want to try high pressure though, that valve is easily good to 150psi (hell, I run my bike tires at 110) and my pump can do 200. I'd be happy with anything over 100. The setup in the pic is the only thing I had on hand yesterday, I may go to the store today and see if I can find a metal container that should hold more pressure.

The coffee has settled nicely, the pic I took was right when I first saturated the beans...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
what does cold brew mean? that it's brewed without using heat?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
what does cold brew mean? that it's brewed without using heat?

Technically...I was wrong, i guess it's called "cold press" coffee.

Yes, it uses no heat. You basically immerse coarse grounds in room temp water for long periods of time. Leaving heat out of the mix produces an extremely smooth, extremely low acid coffee...that happens to be high in caffeine (caffeine is water soluble so sitting there for 24hrs really gets every bit out).

Its a labor of love so I am not only trying to get larger yields out of one batch, but the strongest brew I can get as well. It can be consumed straight/cold, mixed/cold or mixed with some hot water to produce a more traditional cup. The last method requires a very strong brew though and I have not yet been able to get that. At this point, my yields have been near espresso strength.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wanted to update this...

Been screwing around and I think I found what I like best. Tried a pressurized batch at 100psi for 24 hrs (in a different rig)...result was no different.

For the batch I just filtered, I went with a much finer grind than most will recommend. Most will say grape-nuts consistency...and now I strongly disagree. I went with a finer grind, pretty close to automatic drip grind. A 24-hour soak yielded a great result...extremely potent and full flavored. I will say that filtering it really is a labor of love though...unless you want to drink soot. I had to run it through a wire mesh coffee pot filter then through a piece of t-shirt cloth. What is left on the cloth can only be described as "coffee paste"...it has a Nutella'ish consistency to it.

The yield is very clear save the coffee oils and is highly potent. I am beyond pleased.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Bought some trader joes cold brew. Will try in the morning and report back.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Never heard of this cool brewing, I usually make coffee this way:

(don't know what I was thinking using that app to make the vid)

Last edited:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i love coffee. cant live without it. and yes i drink a lot of cold coffe here in china. with no milk. straight coffe.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ok…more than likely the last post on this subject…unless anyone has any ?'s.

Going with a finer grind (auto drip or finer), room temp filtered water for 20-24 hrs seems to be the ticket. I've been using 3.0-3.25oz of coffee to 4-4.25 cups of water. This is consistantly producing great results, very strong busy and amazing flavor. I have also had the best luck with lighter roast coffee, darker roast seems to yield that typical "coffee" taste no matter what you do to it. Lighter roasts really shine with this method, most are very fruity and have an amazing taste. I use only glass jars to the brewing/storage BTW…no plastic. I'll also agitate the mix once or so an hour or every time I pass the jar when I'm at the house. Not sure if this does much…but I do it anyway.

Another note, I've found that a bit of sugar really brings out the flavor…not sure how this works but it really does (and I love straight coffee). For something amazing, I'll add about 1oz of 1/2-1/2 to 6oz of the coffee…holy shit, is it amazing. I don't do it often because it is not the best for you…but good grief is it good.

Either way…I thing I've exhausted my expirementing. I've been able to produce consistent, delicious results now and besides filtering it and cleaning up, its pretty damn easy to do.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Smoke, i've really been enjoying this thread.

Been drinking more coffee lately, but don't yet know what I like. Feel like i'm at that stage in my life where i first started drinking beer.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Smoke, i've really been enjoying this thread.

Been drinking more coffee lately, but don't yet know what I like. Feel like i'm at that stage in my life where i first started drinking beer.

Coffee is a large world and the more you get into it, the more you find it's a large world. I really like the light, low acid fruity roasts. The batch I just made used these beans:

http://www.theroasterie.com/coffee/origin/ethiopia/ethiopia-sidamo

Very fruity, strong fermented taste, very smooth...one of my favorites.

A local roaster makes this:

http://www.thirty-thirtycoffee.com/product/costa-rica-los-robles-de-naranjo/

Absolutely superb coffee...with a strong chocolate taste, (it made a beautiful red/brown brew). I would have a cup sitting on my desk and it would literally make my office smell like hot-chocolate. Quite possibly one of the best roasts I've ever had. Sadly, at $21/12oz there's no way I'll buy it again. The other bean I listed is $13/12oz and 90% as good...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Bumping this thread.

Made a brew of some cold brew coffee yesterday. Let some finely ground Colombian coffee (something waifu got at whole foods so I can't pronounce it) and let it seep for 12 hours. Very bold but delicious, was tempted to drink the whole liter but that would have been bad lol.

If anyone is curious about this, it is very yummy. I also received for Christmas a small thermos for on the go cold coffee and my caffeine addiction continues.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
the funranium brews are really great. about a year ago someone started at my work that new the distributor in the loop area (Chicago), so we would do group buys. mostly did the deathwish a few times and then the kenya one once (when we were low on deathwish bottles). really good stuff.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
the funranium brews are really great. about a year ago someone started at my work that new the distributor in the loop area (Chicago), so we would do group buys. mostly did the deathwish a few times and then the kenya one once (when we were low on deathwish bottles). really good stuff.

I will tell you…you can achieve nearly a 90% identical product at a fraction of the cost just by making your own. I was impressed with their stuff…but holy shit, those prices. Their 750Ml bottle is $40+…then there's the shipping. 750ML is just over 3 cups…I've found:

Very strong yield: 12 cups raw, 9 cups (2100ML) product out of a 12oz bag of coffee.

Strong yield: 16 cups raw, 12 cups (2800ML) product out of a 12oz bag of coffee.

The price per bag being an average of $12 ($20 on the very high end)…it's a substantial cost savings. Hell…I don't even know if substantial cuts it. If I sold my stuff for their asking price, my one bag of coffee would yield about $120 worth of product if done on the strong side...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Cold brew, eh... ah well.

The best coffee I know gets served in Napoli. Strong, black, almost sirupy, kicks you like a mule and tastes heavenly. Sorry, no cold brew for me, guys.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Cold brew, eh... ah well.

The best coffee I know gets served in Napoli. Strong, black, almost sirupy, kicks you like a mule and tastes heavenly. Sorry, no cold brew for me, guys.

Save being hot…it is strong, black and sirupy. I actually gauge the quality of the brew by how long it clings to glass when swirled in a cup. You can warm it up if you like. Funny enough, the term "cold brew" is actually pretty limp. I use room temp water for mine…and its stored at room temp.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm super conservative when it comes to coffee. It has to come in espresso format or pure in a normal cup, black, strong, no milk, no sugar or any other additive whatsoever. Not after 10 am anyway.