For the coffee fanatics...cold brew? Anyone else drink it?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Holy hell...I'm in love.

For the life of me, I don't know why I never thought of this.

I tried honest to god cold brewed coffee this week and it was freaking amazing...easily the best tasting (and strongest) coffee I've ever had.

Huge flavor. Rich and fruity in nature with zero bite...

My co-worker bought it from this site here:
http://www.funraniumlabs.com/

At $50 for 1000ML (before costly shipping), it's too rich for my blood but now I am really intrigued in attempting to make it myself...anyone else make this already? Any tips?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
As a self proclaimed coffee affecionado (addict) I tried this once and was astounded by it. At first, the sound made it seem like that nasty iced coffee that's served at Dunkin' Donuts, with a bland washed out flavor and hardly any enjoyment (I take mine black, so after a while it just turns into watered down cold coffee).

This was actually delicious. I had some with some dark chocolate and it was a pleasant experience. Its bold, robust and smooth, without any bitterness or over roasting flavor. I would definitely try it again, but I can only have it in social interactions versus my every day cup.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
stumptown does a nice cold brew out of portland I used to get a bottle now and then when I lived in boise

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
stumptown does a nice cold brew out of portland I used to get a bottle now and then when I lived in boise

Stump town is ok. It's not a concentrate which is good if you want something on the go. But I feel the other two I mentioned blow it away.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The closest I've had is the cold coffee in a can you can buy in the supermarket...which actually tastes pretty good. Its like a buck for a little can. Not bad.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Holy hell...I'm in love.

For the life of me, I don't know why I never thought of this.

I tried honest to god cold brewed coffee this week and it was freaking amazing...easily the best tasting (and strongest) coffee I've ever had.

Huge flavor. Rich and fruity in nature with zero bite...

My co-worker bought it from this site here:
http://www.funraniumlabs.com/

At $50 for 1000ML (before costly shipping), it's too rich for my blood but now I am really intrigued in attempting to make it myself...anyone else make this already? Any tips?

You may want to try your local Whole Foods, Trader Joes or equivalent, as the ones out here all carry the concentrate and ready to drink versions of cold brew coffee. It should save you on the shipping, at the very least.

I've seen a few, like Secret Squirrel Concentrate and a few others in the Whole Foods around here.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Proper cold brew takes a finer grind and about 10 to 12 hours to make properly. BBotE sounds like a decent extract. I'm going to order some.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i usually grab a cold coffee when I'm at a Vietnamese restaurant. All that cream is tasty.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I haven't had cold brew from anywhere, but I used this method to make concentrate all last summer:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-make-amazing-cold-brew-coffee-2013-9

It comes out pretty amazing but as I mentioned I haven't tried any commercially available cold brew coffees, so I'm not sure how it compares. It beats the pants off of any coffee I've ever made at home though, and have turned a couple friends on to it too.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I started my first batch tonight...simple simon. Got a med-coarse grind from a favorite local shop...1/3c coffee to 1.5c water, immersion brewing in a simple, glass jar. I'll let it go for 24 hrs and see how it comes out...

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
not a big fan of coffee but it seems pretty promising. I will keep my eye out for this!

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I work across the street from Brooklyn Roasting Co. which makes a pretty mean cold brew.
I used to get one daily (esp. in the summer) till they jacked the price up to $4.50 for a large - insane even for NY prices!
Been meaning to get a cold brew pot like this and make it at home..

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I work across the street from Brooklyn Roasting Co. which makes a pretty mean cold brew.
I used to get one daily (esp. in the summer) till they jacked the price up to $4.50 for a large - insane even for NY prices!

My only beef with that design (a co-worker actually has that very model) is that the water passes through the beans...then runs out.

I may not have a huge background in coffee...but I do in tea. The only way to make proper tea is with leaf tea...NOT in some sort of strainer. It needs to be immersed to fully bloom.

I literally went out and got a seal-able glass jar and dumped the water straight into the coffee. Stirred it last night and once again this morning. I'll taste it at 6pm tonight (24hrs in) and see what I have. I did this morning (12hrs in) and it was still too weak.

As I did with tea...I'm going to mess with this one until I get it right...or at least "right" in my mind.

The $$ people are asking for ready-made is just pure insanity, these people are out of their minds to pay that much.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
My only beef with that design (a co-worker actually has that very model) is that the water passes through the beans...then runs out.

I may not have a huge background in coffee...but I do in tea. The only way to make proper tea is with leaf tea...NOT in some sort of strainer. It needs to be immersed to fully bloom.

I literally went out and got a seal-able glass jar and dumped the water straight into the coffee. Stirred it last night and once again this morning. I'll taste it at 6pm tonight (24hrs in) and see what I have. I did this morning (12hrs in) and it was still too weak.

As I did with tea...I'm going to mess with this one until I get it right...or at least "right" in my mind.

The $$ people are asking for ready-made is just pure insanity, these people are out of their minds to pay that much.

What's your grind setting? I normally do full immersion in a French press after grinding at the coarsest setting on my burr grinder. A French press might be better for this than the above cold pitcher, since you can stir and check the strength as the day goes on, then press and pour when it is ready. I actually have a couple presses. I should try a cold brew in one of those over night.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
The funranium labs stuff looks cool. I might buy some to try it out since you can't really make cold vacuum extracted coffee at home.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I went to my regular watering hole and got some stuff that they supposedly make just for cold brewing. It's a mix of their Colombian and tanzanian peaberry, two coffees that I never get because they produce a harsh, acidic coffee (harsh in my mind). BUT...being that cold brewing brings out a completely different taste and is such low acid, I figured it was worth a try.

It was ground too fine in my opinion, even after I ran it through my normal wire mesh basket, it still had a bit of soot in the bottom of the cup...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

not a fan. Their coffee shop on Flushing (fort greene?) is pretty shitty looking as well.

4.50 is redic

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Strained first patch last night...it took a coffee maker "gold" metal mesh filter as well as a t-shirt to get it 100% crystal clear.

Not as thick as the stuff my co-worker bought but it was good for a first try. Tried a 50/50 brew/hot water mix and it produced an extremely smooth cup...a bit weak though. Straight up with a touch of 1/2+1/2 was extremely tasty. I'm assuming the caffeine content must have been sky-high as the 6-8oz I consumed hit me hard, and I'm not all that caffeine sensitive anymore.

This batch was made in the fridge and left for 24 hrs, I started another last night and left it out at room temp to brew...I'll strain it out tonight and see how it goes...

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
This thread has inspired me to brew my own. I'm excited now simply for some thing different. Can't wait to hear from you about your results man!

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I saw this thread and decided to give a brew a try. I'll be bouncing off the walls tomorrow if I'm moderately successful.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think I've tried some from Trader Joe's a long time ago.