Time to ask: YouTube video "stars" and the rising cost of games

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There is a general trend in retro games going up in price. I don't think this is tied to any one group of people.
The market is starting to think anything old is valuable. You can see real value in actual ebay auctions and not BIN. Most common and uncommon boxedSNES games are going for very little right now.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
It's sometimes just as bad when retro game shops won't check the internet for prices. There was a flea market near me with tons of Neo stuff about 7-10 years ago, and he wouldn't sell any of it for less than a few hundred bucks. We're talking NAM 1975 for $300, no haggling.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
It's funny how resellers treat video games like a commodity. It's not enough to just slap an inflated price tag on it. They need to look up what it's selling for RIGHT NOW to get the up-to-date market price. That's why they're no price tags on stuff. What if they priced Mega Man at $30 when it came in to the store, but then it sold on eBay the following week for $42? Shit, they might have lost that extra money because they weren't on top of market trends.

If this follows the trend of other collectables like baseball cards and comic books, the bubble will burst.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
A thrift store near me has a boxed Rayman (only the top of the plastic is cut) and a sealed Missile Command 3D for the Jaguar for $40 each, among other Jaguar games. Super-tempted to flip it for MUCH needed $$ on eBay. Anybody interested in either for a non-raping price? I'm tempted to see if they'll negotiate the price down for both, but afraid they'll look up the crazy price of Rahman if I do so.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A thrift store near me has a boxed Rayman (only the top of the plastic is cut) and a sealed Missile Command 3D for the Jaguar for $40 each, among other Jaguar games. Super-tempted to flip it for MUCH needed $$ on eBay. Anybody interested in either for a non-raping price? I'm tempted to see if they'll negotiate the price down for both, but afraid they'll look up the crazy price of Rahman if I do so.

I actually need both for Jaguar. Was waiting for prices to not be crazy. I can throw in a finders fee if it's mostly complete.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
It's funny how resellers treat video games like a commodity. It's not enough to just slap an inflated price tag on it. They need to look up what it's selling for RIGHT NOW to get the up-to-date market price. That's why they're no price tags on stuff. What if they priced Mega Man at $30 when it came in to the store, but then it sold on eBay the following week for $42? Shit, they might have lost that extra money because they weren't on top of market trends.

If this follows the trend of other collectables like baseball cards and comic books, the bubble will burst.

They probably know it's not a long term sustainable business and are cashing in while they can. Ironically they are perpetuating the advent of things like everdrives etc by pricing things like this.
Eventually it's going to be like classic cars, some people want a shelby cobra roadster but 95% of the people will be happy with a fiberglass kit.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
I actually need both for Jaguar. Was waiting for prices to not be crazy. I can throw in a finders fee if it's mostly complete.

I haven't been by there in a month, but the Jaguar games haven't moved in monthS. When I get to the office tomorrow, I'll post the list they had on hand and the prices they had them marked for, in case there are other titles you want. They're behind glass, and all boxed, so I'll check conditions once I get the wish list (and be specific about what's acceptable, before they get the notion to research the prices, as I think it best to buy them then and there upon inspection). FYI sales tax is 10% here, no friggin' lie, so add that into the cost.

Live music is my #1, and I believe in "ticket karma", thus I'm stupid about making $$ off of things I love, and games seem to be the same way. Dumb financially, but it makes the soul feel better. In short, I'll do what I can to help, and any 'profit' we'll discuss at another time.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
On the other hand we have GameXChange that wasn't pricing things by ebay listings, but then people came in with smart phones and checked prices, buying anything priced below ebay and probably flipped 'em. The first time I went there at the opening it was well stocked, but the second time I went a week after, all the good stuff were gone.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Christ, how did my thread turn from how Youtube stars are making game prices go up to "boy, the game store near me has really bad prices"?

LOL. Carry on.

Jon

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't watch these YouTube Celebs.

Me neither. I have no idea who these AVGN, Pewdiepie, etc... people are, nor have I any incentive to find out.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy

Possibly outdated list, in shorthand. Seems the boxes looked in good shape, but may have had some sun fade:

Dragon $10
Tempest $25
Bubsy $15
Cannon Fodder (sealed) $30
Brutal Football $13
Rayman $40
Iron Soldier $10
Missile Command $40 (sealed?)
Ultra Vortek $25
Kasumi Ninja $25
Trevor McFur $20
Syndicate $25