Hatred... Eesh

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Makes you wonder who does?

On one hand, this games mere existence has (reluctantly) pushed many of us on the same side as prudish twats who piss and moan about things like Mortal Kombat and GTA.

But on the other hand, is unfettered freedom of expression truly worth it when shitty games like this happen?

?

What if it was a game where you chainsawed small kids in half or tortured animals? Or committed rape?
Of course its just a game and you aren't really doing anything, and yet many here are saying we'd be uncomfortable with triggering some of these depictions in a game.

To me that's "real" enough and the mere idea of killing innocent people and getting used to it carries an unseen psychological price....one that is way too steep for my already damaged psyche.

TLDR; fuck this trash

As always, Spoon mans up and asks the real questions. Thanks:)

My answer to all of this:

Yes, this game has a right to exist.

I believe that everyone has the right to create something. If things of differing views weren't allowed to exist in the same space, it would signify a lack of freedom and I'm really not comfortable with controlling freedom of expression.

The game has the right to exist whether we like it or not, and the shit storm that will come if/when it gets released will be the talk of the industry for months, if not years.

My pie in the sky hope is that the dialogue that comes from this will be productive, but it won't be. It'll just become more click bait fodder and witch hunting. It will grow appendages and take on a life of its own in eight different directions, like the symbol of chaos, and everyone will take away what they believe is the 'correct' viewpoint, and those views will do battle on the internet and in both old and new media.

So, in other words, nothing is really going to change. People will just be pissed off for a long time, will draw lines in the sand and weaponize their particular points of view. That is the saddest realization of the whole thing: the subversion, either willful or ignorant, away from progress. None of this, ultimately, will mean anything.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This game should have been called "The Evil Within" oooooo

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm going to hold out for the Jihadi John game.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/post/100204212288/hatred-is-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by-neo-nazis

*Yawn*

Some interesting backgrounds of the makers, but fuck me. Half of me hates that the developers have somewhat questionable (far-right) views. Half of me thinks: who fucking cares?

I see the CEO is a fan of Black Witchery, lol.

This is Poland we're talking about, I am not at all surprised. Next to Russia they have some of the largest neo-nazi groups of the 21st century.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Nathan.png

some people have issues?
granted hating/blaming everyone for what may have happened to ''you'' is wrong but what harm could actually come from someone playing this game because they want to do horrible things. I don't think they'd actually be anymore more likely to actually do anything than before? someone could actually get over some real traumatic stuff thats happened to them like witnessing close people murdered or having been abused somehow?

desensitized by it?- really, don't believe anybody would cross over from playing a game...you'd have to actually have the will in the first place so why try to blame a game-they wouldn't bother with it, they'd already be taking care of business? pretty sure you would end up on a list if you buy it_maybe it will help preemptively catch some crazies(maybe just subject a ton of innocent angry folks to more bs though) that actually are on the verge?

I bet if I was younger I'd want this.

why not a game theres movies with bad guys doing stuff like this that someone can already identify with...just because you're controlling the character doesn't make it more desensitizing, I think identifying as a bad guy is probably worse because then they can get disassociative or something?

I haven't watched the purge but how is this any worse than what I presume that to be from commercials?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
My pie in the sky hope is that the dialogue that comes from this will be productive, but it won't be. It'll just become more click bait fodder and witch hunting. It will grow appendages and take on a life of its own in eight different directions, like the symbol of chaos, and everyone will take away what they believe is the 'correct' viewpoint, and those views will do battle on the internet and in both old and new media.

So, in other words, nothing is really going to change. People will just be pissed off for a long time, will draw lines in the sand and weaponize their particular points of view. That is the saddest realization of the whole thing: the subversion, either willful or ignorant, away from progress. None of this, ultimately, will mean anything.

All you're describing here though is debate. People taking their opposing views and then arguing them is pretty much as productive as you can be about a question that has no right answer.

What I guess I'm asking you is this progress that you are looking for, what is it? Progress towards what?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
All you're describing here though is debate. People taking their opposing views and then arguing them is pretty much as productive as you can be about a question that has no right answer.

What I guess I'm asking you is this progress that you are looking for, what is it? Progress towards what?

That's a difficult question to answer. Without actually being in that discussion in a way that the end result is a change for the better, I wouldn't be able to tell you what that answer is. I'm not nearly wise enough to know every angle, every argument, every position on the stance. There's stuff I know I haven't thought of in all this.

I'm just one person that knows he doesn't want to play a game where they're killing soccer moms that are forced on their knees and begging for their lives. But that doesn't mean I want to stop others from releasing or playing it, either. Even if I personally object to something like that, I don't feel right telling others what they can or can't do. So long as they aren't hurting other people (in a broad sense.)

That's about the best answer I can give you in this one.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I was just preparing an egg breakfast lol.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Most popular media that portrays extreme violence has some mitigating factors. Humor, ridiculousness, implausibility, or hardships. It's hard to really want to be like someone in a mafia-style drama or game because who even lives near organized crime, who can really get their attention? Who can even commit one crime without being tossed in jail? Who wants to live through the stress of a Tony Soprano or Michael De Santa? Well in Hatred it looks like you're just an angry guy who grabs a gun one day and blows everyone away. It's not mitigated by humor or anything. It's just something that any gun owner could do. I think that's what makes it sit a little less well with me. I want to play this about as much as I want to play Depression Quest. It's too real. Does that mean it shouldn't be allowed to exist? Nah. I just hope it doesn't become more than a backpage story.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
. It's just something that any gun owner could do

good point! in reality though I'm glad there are still ''any gun owners'' out there that act as a deterrent to folks thinking they could get away with what happens in the game. swayed my opinion slightly more to the negative for the game having it pointed out that a person could even imagine ''It's just something that any gun owner could do''. do you think the same of cars when people get runned over in a game? OMG anybody with a car could do this???! guns make alot of noise he'd be his own siren and just strolling around he would be done for in less than half an hour. folks can't even walk in a rural area of Texas with a scary black rifle (note-in a legal open carry area+not even firing once)without being apprehended by police in reality.

Last edited:

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
good point! in reality though I'm glad there are still ''any gun owners'' out there that act as a deterrent to folks thinking they could get away with what happens in the game. swayed my opinion slightly more to the negative for the game having it pointed out that a person could even imagine ''It's just something that any gun owner could do''. do you think the same of cars when people get runned over in a game? OMG anybody with a car could do this???! guns make alot of noise he'd be his own siren and just strolling around he would be done for in less than half an hour. folks can't even walk in a rural area of Texas with a scary black rifle (note-in a legal open carry area+not even firing once)without being apprehended by police in reality.

My comment was nothing to do with guns, sorry if I sounded like I was attacking gun ownership. I'm saying that there's not enough fantasy element to the game. It's just pick up your gun, knife, bat, whatever, and go hurt people. Most other violent games have much more depth to them. In GTA the goal is never to run random people over, even though you can. The car physics aren't really realistic, anyway. There are just layers of surrealism that help make it not feel quite like real life. This is a game which is supposed to be a mass murder simulator. It's too real. That's all I'm saying. (Of course, the end result is probably going to be a glitchy unplayable pile of shit with unintentional surrealism)

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
ehh, id play it if it didnt look like the gameplay would get boring hella fast.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They don't shoot back? Well that's gonna be a boring game, no matter the premise.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
...just because you're controlling the character doesn't make it more desensitizing...

this might be something of a naive/childish/uninformed/regressive/idiotic point of view, but i think the real point being driven at
is that if the prospective audience/player were well and truly "decent people" then why in heaven's name would they ever wish
to give a game with subject matter such as this the time of day for even the barest moment?

i mean, curiosity IS a thing, of course, but there is such a thing as a line that most "well adjusted" people tend to feel shouldn't ever be crossed
under any circumstance, and it does seem like "Entertainment" such as this rather leaves said line quite distantly in the dust...

They don't shoot back? Well that's gonna be a boring game, no matter the premise.

for the Sadistic Sociopaths this game is rather clearly aimed to appeal to, i would imagine "Boring" is a descriptor
a concept such as this would most certainly be anything but. the most disturbing aspect of all this however
is of course the possibility that there actually might be enough of these sorts of "people" out there in the world
to actually make a project such as this seem a viable business venture to someone...

Last edited: