Sega Saturn Hitachi Laser

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
So my laser is shot. The lens itself is all cloudy on what it appears to be on the inside and it doesn't even spin up. Anyone know where I can find a replacement for the Hitachi laser? It's a HOP E-1 and I've already tried one place, but of course it didn't work.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
was it used for any CD Walkman's or other devices? Sometimes it's easier to just buy a walkman on ebay, and then take that laser. That's what I have to do for PCE and TG16 CD drives.

Fox1

20 Year Member
I have no idea. Searching for the part doesn't come up with much.

Fox1

20 Year Member
The one here looks to match the pics on gamesx. Shipping from Hong Kong though unfortunately...

The thing, I just tried one from what I'm guessing is a Chinese pos and it didn't even move. So I don't know about trusting another...$30 here and there adds up lol.

Fox1

20 Year Member
In my experience, no. You can't use a Sanyo drive on a Saturn that uses a JVC, vice versa.

Oddly enough, on a SKC-1000C saturn you can. It has a JVC and Hitachi jumper inside of it. Problem is the JVC laser physically won't fit.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a laser from a white Saturn, let me know if you can use it.

Fox1

20 Year Member
I have a laser from a white Saturn, let me know if you can use it.

I appreciate it, but I think very few white saturns had Hitachi lasers in em. If it is a hitachi laser, it would say HOP E-1 on it

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I have been very curious on Saturn lasers. Most times I look it up, people tend to throw their hands up and call it a lost cause.

Fox1

20 Year Member
I have been very curious on Saturn lasers. Most times I look it up, people tend to throw their hands up and call it a lost cause.

Problem is most if not all the new ones are some chinese made pos

Fox1

20 Year Member
So I got a replacement Lens from the first place I ordered from and it still does not work. It's like it doesn't even see the damn thing. It doesn't even move the laser on the track...just stays there. If I put in the old one it works fine, but it doesn't read CDs. They are the exact same part number...GAHHHH

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So I got a replacement Lens from the first place I ordered from and it still does not work. It's like it doesn't even see the damn thing. It doesn't even move the laser on the track...just stays there. If I put in the old one it works fine, but it doesn't read CDs. They are the exact same part number...GAHHHH

Check for any jumpers or jumped connections on the replacement that might need to be made/set like on the stock one, plus you might need to tune the new one.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Yeah I made sure to do that...I see a red beam from the laser, but it doesn't move.