Ze Cherry! Help Me Pop It! First Neo Geo Game!

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Wondered if you guys could help me choose what my very first AES game should be? Limited budget of 100 dollars helps narrow it down I'm sure. I also don't care for shooters. :) But I'm open to suggestions! I have a standing offer for a complete English Samurai Shodown for 85 shipped, maybe I should just grab that? Thanks!

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
$100 should enable you to get King of Fighters 95, still a top notch game with killer graphics and music.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
better to go with JPN SAM. SPIRITS I and II; considerably less expensive, and packaging with far superior presentation to the generic-looking U.S. versions.

either or both would make fantastic foundation installments to a budding AES collection...

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sam Show 2, Nam 1945, Mag Lord, FF Special, and Sengoku.

Now go!
/thread

I always say Samurai Shodown (1 or 2) and Fatal Fury Special should be your first purchases, best bang for the buck on the Neo.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Wondered if you guys could help me choose what my very first AES game should be? Limited budget of 100 dollars helps narrow it down I'm sure. I also don't care for shooters. :) But I'm open to suggestions! I have a standing offer for a complete English Samurai Shodown for 85 shipped, maybe I should just grab that? Thanks!

Here's the thing, stay away from English carts. If your AES is US then a JP cart will still paly in English, that being said, 85 for SS is WWWWAAAAAYYYYY too much. Get SS2 instead, then get Nam 75.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
SamSho2 is one of the best cheaper games. Don't start out with Nam 75 or any of the other really early games. They suck ass IMO and will turn you away from the system.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Great suggestions so far, thank you! Im finding some SSII's for like 35 + shipping! Totally affordable! Also, my AES is JP, but I will be looking for someone to install unibios for me at some point.

Last edited:

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Great suggestions so far, thank you! Im finding some SSII's for loke 35 + shipping! Totally affordable! Also, my AES is JP, but I will be looking for someone to install unibios for me at some point.
I will suggest Blue's Journey for a Mario esque game. You should be able to find it for under $50.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
ss2 and fatal fury special are great choices. I would also try to get kof 94, aof 1 and 2, world heroes 1 and 2. easily under 100 bucks a game

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Magician Lord, which is cheaper than the mvs counterpart.

Master Tasuke

Magician Lord, which is cheaper than the mvs counterpart.

paradoxically, there's probably a whole hell lot more AES copies then MVS out there, huh?
SNK really did produce the living shit out of those early titles, i suppose.

i guess SNK was forecasting pretty brisk sales then, and really had no clue just how much a turn-off to damn near everyone
those premium prices actually were.

they were clearly up to their necks in U.S. MAGICIAN LORD, NAM-'75 and BASEBALL STARS stock,
and thinning that heard down that was probably their prime impetus behind the GOLD SYSTEM set with it's two pack-ins.

perhaps they should have sold the GOLD SYSTEM at a good discount; then they might have actually moved some units...

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
You haven't bought anything yet?

Good, you can stop while you're ahead.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
SS2 is still one of my favorite games on the system. Just the presentation, and good-old-retro arcade graphics. For $35 it's a must have. I'd skip the first game completely. Especially on home cart, be choosy. Like was said, grab Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown 2, I'm not sure which KOF you can get for $100... '96 or '97? A lot of people bag on '97 for its lack of music, but I dig the ambiance stuff and it's the best single player KoF out there with tons of different endings and secrets to find. Magician Lord, NAM 75, Cyberlip and etc, are also great, but the graphics are really dated, and as was said may take some of the sheen off your new baby. Those games are better appreciated as compliments to a nice small classics collection.

Master Tasuke

You haven't bought anything yet?

Good, you can stop while you're ahead.

you've quite a point there, after all, most of the "best" games, that "everyone" wants, all, -ALL- command positively mad money these days,
and they're all but guaranteed to be going nowhere from here on in but ever upwards...

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If I were starting today... Like, seriously, 2014 starting my Neo stuff, I'd probably just go CMVS and a 161 in 1 cart, and maybe pad that out with a few games I want that either don't play well on the multi or are worth owning that aren't on there. Probably. Some of us remember buying these games for under $20 a pop shipped from eBay before that went to hell. I doubt I'd get into the whole cart collecting thing if I had to start in today's markets. Plus, in the late 90s and early 2000s SNK was still releasing a few games here and there so it was kind of a fun time to be into the Neo. Now... Now... I don't know why you all just don't MAME this shit up ;) Or buy a nice CMVS from Quan or James and... Multi-cart this shit up.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
SO I'm basically fucked if I want to start AES collecting now huh? :lolz: