Ze Cherry! Help Me Pop It! First Neo Geo Game!

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Don't worry, I know that the AES stuff is mega expensive compared to MVS you don't have to save me from myself. :) I have wanted an AES since I first heard a rumor about a game system where each game was $250 and made the NES look like crap back in grade school. I'm sure I'll move to MVS eventually, but for now I'd like to bask in the glory of owning one of these for a while. I know the "newness" has worn off for most of you, but even if I only own a couple games I'll still be living the dream. :)

I thought long and hard about saving up some more bucks for an Omega, and that's probably what I will grab when the day comes. As for emulation? Yeah, and this electronic vagina over here feels even BETTER than the real thing!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
As for emulation? Yeah, and this electronic vagina over here feels even BETTER than the real thing!

Sadly it does... It really does... and that's going to be one of those really sad moments in your life. You know, when you realize the best sex you ever have is with yourself, and your MAME box.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I did this, and started with NAM and Magician Lord on my AES. Soon I realized MVS was the way and I bought a converter for the AES to use MVS carts. Never looked back.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Sadly it does... It really does... and that's going to be one of those really sad moments in your life. You know, when you realize the best sex you ever have is with yourself, and your MAME box.

Lol.

I did this, and started with NAM and Magician Lord on my AES. Soon I realized MVS was the way and I bought a converter for the AES to use MVS carts. Never looked back.

Which one did you end up buying?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
be on the lookout for loose AES carts too. They are often significantly cheaper than their CIB counterparts. My loose kof98 was $40. :-)

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The best first game you should get for your NeoGeo is Fatal Fury Special.

Thereafter, I recommend Real Bout Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown III and King of Fighters 95 & 96... all well within $100 budget.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
but even if I only own a couple games I'll still be living the dream. :)

pretty much how i feel. and a couple/few AES games are all but guaranteed to be all i'll ever own, what with these extremely exclusive price points and all.

bear in mind; the price to value ratio was poor back in the day, and even worse now. these games were by and large Coin-Ops for adolescent boys
whom were insecure in their masculinity and in desperate search for a means in which to "prove themselves" in modern, mundane, "pussy-whipped" society.
they were Video Games ultimately designed less for entertainment and recreation and more for milking the player out of money, one quarter at a time.

as such, i consider their price/value ratio to be exceptionally LOW, especially against all the halfway decent home-console-specific games out there,
to say NOTHING of the true classics. ultimately, THOSE are the games TRULY worth sinking serious coin into...

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
these games were by and large Coin-Ops for adolescent boys
whom were insecure in their masculinity and in desperate search for a means in which to "prove themselves" in modern, mundane, "pussy-whipped" society.

Please explain. I never felt that way. What are you attempting to tell us???

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
This will be my 17th console, and the "Arcade at home" promise with this is what is appealing. Being a Dad of 2 very young kids the whole pick-up-and-play thing is just what the doctor ordered. I don't have time for 80 hour epic's, or 4 hour endurance races in Gran Turismo, etc. :)

I was reading over the Omega thread again and I have to say it is tempting to just grab an MV-1C and throw it into an Omega kit all for less than $400. That's probably what I'll do semi-soon.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
these games were by and large Coin-Ops for adolescent boys

Sans the "pussy-whipped" comment, you sound like a 50 year old Women's Studies Ph.D. demonstrating her video game expertise.

EDIT: Also, as a whole, arcade games in general are superiorly designed when compared to console games out of necessity.

I get the "Durrr it is a quarter mucher that takes yer money!!" mentality, but these games were designed to continuously earn. If a game is a true dud, it won't earn a quarter past it's debut.

Console duds on the other hand….

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
pretty much how i feel. and a couple/few AES games are all but guaranteed to be all i'll ever own, what with these extremely exclusive price points and all.

bear in mind; the price to value ratio was poor back in the day, and even worse now. these games were by and large Coin-Ops for adolescent boys
they were Video Games ultimately designed less for entertainment and recreation and more for milking the player out of money, one quarter at a time.

as such, i consider their price/value ratio to be exceptionally LOW, especially against all the halfway decent home-console-specific games out there,
to say NOTHING of the true classics. ultimately, THOSE are the games TRULY worth sinking serious coin into...

A tire iron to the face would be less painful than reading this post was.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
SO I'm basically fucked if I want to start AES collecting now huh? :lolz:
Pretty much, yeah. I really only recommend it if you also play games on another format. I collect the odd home cart here and there, but I primarily use a CDZ and a cmvs with the multicarts.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Pretty much, yeah. I really only recommend it if you also play games on another format. I collect the odd home cart here and there, but I primarily use a CDZ and a cmvs with the multicarts.
That's probably what I'm gonna do. Get a few homecarts that I really enjoy or if I find em for cheap, then the rest will be mvs with shockboxes.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Kof 95, kof 96 (that ones a bit over 100, it depends which seller), samsho2 (best bang for you're buck), fatal fury special.

Don't even bother collecting american copies, they go for much higher than there japanese counterpart.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
So in other news, the person selling me my AES had a delay in shipping and I had the opportunity to cancel the order... I did. Whenever Quan gets an Omega DIY kit in stock I am buying one, and a MV-1C. :) At least it will look like an AES, but I am excited to get in on the cheap(er) games the MVS has to offer. Touche' Neo-Geo.com...touche'

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
So in other news, the person selling me my AES had a delay in shipping and I had the opportunity to cancel the order... I did. Whenever Quan gets an Omega DIY kit in stock I am buying one, and a MV-1C. :) At least it will look like an AES, but I am excited to get in on the cheap(er) games the MVS has to offer. Touche' Neo-Geo.com...touche'

That's good to hear. Sorry that you couldn't get the AES however. MVS is a much more financially viable option :D

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Which one did you end up buying?

I bought a Magic Key MVS Converter II. Whatever the name, it's the blue one, with scaling issues fixed. Never had an original game not work with it, including Metal Slug X. Even the 161 works, but the keep-start-to-menu trick does not work.

Using an original MVS board has the advantage that 100% of the games will work with it. There are some MVS-exclusive games that you cannot play on the AES unless you have a converter (or an expesive converted version of the game). Also, IIRC there are a few homebrew games that require the backup RAM that the MVS has but the AES doesn't, so these games won't work on AES, even with a converter.

Regards.

Last edited:

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks for the reply. I had looked at that converter, but it came down to price of entry. I'll be in about $380 with a functional CMVS (no joysticks, no games) and comparing that with even a bare AES plus a converter and I just couldn't do it. I play games on all platforms and wince when I pay more than like $5 for a game. I'm just too damn cheap. :)

BTW, I placed my order for the Omega kit today. I'm O-mega excited. Get it?

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
If you want something that will last due to being ridiculously hard, Magician Lord is a great choice.

If you are into fighters, grab SS2 and/or an early KOF game. You'll get plenty of play with them.

ahuffman

n00b
Congrats on the Omega purchase. I just bought a CMVS also, so these recommendations should be helpful. I have quite a few games in mind, but some of them have been really difficult to find from a reputable seller. I cannot really offer recommendations of my own yet, but I certainly hope you will enjoy your new Omega!

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
If you want something that will last due to being ridiculously hard, Magician Lord is a great choice.

If you are into fighters, grab SS2 and/or an early KOF game. You'll get plenty of play with them.

Happy Console Gamer gushes about Magician Lord and we usually have the same sort of taste so I want to try that one, looks a bit spendy for MVS as others have said, but who knows! I am definitely into fighters and am planning on picking up either a RB-FF or KOF. SS2 sounds good too, but I have a hankerin' for beating some peeps down with my man Terry. :)

Congrats on the Omega purchase. I just bought a CMVS also, so these recommendations should be helpful. I have quite a few games in mind, but some of them have been really difficult to find from a reputable seller. I cannot really offer recommendations of my own yet, but I certainly hope you will enjoy your new Omega!

Uh, thanks.

Congrats on your Omega purchase as well, and take this advice in mind. There is some good content on this site, and some people trying to get their post count up. I cannot really offer advice of my own yet, but I certainly hope you will also enjoy your new Omega as well, also, in addition to myself.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Going with the Omega was probably the best decision you could have made in your Neo journey. You're still going to spend way too much on games, but relative to what it would of been on home carts (for the exact same game, played with the exact same sticks, on your exact same TV, the exact same way) you'll be coming out way ahead. Now, the games under a $100 list has also multiplied by 10.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Going with the Omega was probably the best decision you could have made in your Neo journey. You're still going to spend way too much on games, but relative to what it would of been on home carts (for the exact same game, played with the exact same sticks, on your exact same TV, the exact same way) you'll be coming out way ahead. Now, the games under a $100 list has also multiplied by 10.

This. However make sure you get the model with the incorporated memory card. You never know how great the memory card is until you get one. Coupled with the lates UniBIOS, they improve the NeoGeo experience a lot.

Regards.