MV1C\Wells Gardner D9400\Super Neo 29 Type II Woes

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Hi Guys,

The short version of my issue is that I have sound, but no image, using an MV-1C on my Type II cab.

To complicate matters, my MV-1F, CPS2, and Cave (Deathsmiles) PCBs all work great.

Before you say that perhaps I have a bad MV-1C, I have now tried 3 different MV-1C motherboards, all with the same result. In fact, one of them in brand new.

History: To give some history, about 5 years ago I bought my cab with a Wells-Gardner D9400 tri-sync display.

In my early days as a cab owner, I once plugged in a game with extremely loud volume. In my hurry to turn the volume down, I incorrectly turn the voltage pot. Eventually breaking the pot before I realized that I was not adjusting volume. Lesson learned, I dug out my multimeter and replaced the PSU (with the same model PSU that came with it).

Ever since that event, I cannot get an MV-1C to work. The marquee LCD will display an image from an MV-1C (or any PCB), but to simplify troubleshooting, I have removed the marquee LCD from the harness and the result is the same: no image on the CRT.

I have verified my PSU voltages, checked the pins on the Jamma harness, checked the pins to the monitor input. I'm stumped!

If it helps, the D9400 monitor will display "No Image" if there is no source input. Instead, I am just getting a black screen with nothing on it.

Last edited:

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Well, I'm baffled. Got an MV-2F today and it works fine. So... MV-1F and MV-2F work, MV-1C, not so much.....

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
In a nutshell your problem is.....Wells D9000 chassis suck ballz. I should know cause I own two of the damn things. :annoyed:

Mine are super picky about sync and have had problems with numerous boardsets. Most of the time I will get the NO IMAGE screen and on some boards there will be severe image tearing.

I read a while ago that terminating sync to ground with a 4.7K-10K resistor may help on some boards.

GL

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
In a nutshell your problem is.....Wells D9000 chassis suck ballz. I should know cause I own two of the damn things. :annoyed:

Mine are super picky about sync and have had problems with numerous boardsets. Most of the time I will get the NO IMAGE screen and on some boards there will be severe image tearing.

I read a while ago that terminating sync to ground with a 4.7K-10K resistor may help on some boards.

GL

I have read about some of the issues with the D9000 series. In taking my cab apart and looking at the actual numbers, it would appear I have a D9800, but that is not terribly different from the D9400 from what I see written online. Chassis looks identical.

Part of me wants to cut my losses and try to find a different tube, but it works fairly well and having tri-sync with a VGA connector makes it a good "all-in-one" cab for me. Maybe it's time I find a nice MV-4F and abandon my plans to use an MV-1C. Now to figure out how to buy some of the weird JST connectors in this thing.