Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Help building a supergun

  1. #1
    AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    aha2940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colombia

    Posts
    2,409

    Help building a supergun

    Hi

    I already read some documents on how to do it, and I think I have a clear understanding of it. I would like, however, a recommendation from you guys on the parts to use to get best results. The SG would be used with a Neo MV1C and also would like it to work with CPS1/2 boards. So far, I have selected these parts, would like to know your opinions:

    Video Encoder: Neobitz

    Power supply: PicoPSU 80: http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80

    Jamma harness: http://www.jammaboards.com/store/jam...-jamma-h1.html

    Stick and buttons: These SANWA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261313749906...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

    I believe these are the important parts, the rest are pretty standard connectors and solder which should be all the same.

    Recommendations/opinions are very welcome guys.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Edo Express Delivery Guy
    giggsy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Treadstone

    Posts
    338
    Just dont smoke any Colombian weed beforehand and everything should go wellGreat project im planning to put 1 together myself soon.Good luck..
    Last edited by giggsy07; 10-18-2014 at 06:31 AM.
    Eire..

  4. #4
    AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    aha2940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colombia

    Posts
    2,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Why a Pico? It's also a DC-DC So what other DC power supply would you be running with it?
    I was thinking of it because of the size, I would like to try and keep it all inside the enclosure of the SuperGun. I would like to use something like the power supply of the Omega, since it's small, uses a standard PC cable and outputs good filtered power, but so far the picoPSU has bee the closest I've got. I'd appreciate suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by giggsy07 View Post
    Just dont smoke any Colombian weed beforehand and everything should go wellGreat project im planning to put 1 together myself soon.Good luck..
    Oh no problem man, I won't :P

  5. #5
    King's Bartender
    Lemony Vengeance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A dried up lake bed

    Posts
    5,040
    I've been thinking of making my own as well.. would a Pico PSU be able to power all the boards you'd want to play? CPS2/3, etc.. ?
    It's impossible to be a nice guy on the internet.

  6. #6
    AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    aha2940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colombia

    Posts
    2,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemony Vengeance View Post
    I've been thinking of making my own as well.. would a Pico PSU be able to power all the boards you'd want to play? CPS2/3, etc.. ?
    I believe so, they have different wattages: http://www.mini-box.com/Power-Supplies-Kits . My only concern would be with the boards that require -5, because the picopsu is a computer power supply, therefore it has only +5V and +12V, but AFAIK no CPS1/2 nor Neo boards require -5V.

    Regards.

  7. #7
    Camel Slug
    BLEAGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arkanistan

    Posts
    672
    Sounds like you have most everything planned out. I would recommend adding a jrok sync cleaner just in case you ever want to run a pcb that might have a weird sync or something.

    Cps2 boards are already big so why not just make the enclosure big enough for them to sit on top of and use a real arcade psu. That way you'll have all the voltages you would ever need and be able to fine tune them if necessary.

    How Will you handle audio?

  8. #8
    . Yodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    2,733
    I use a picopsu in my supergun.

    Tested it so far with 1 slot MVS, PGM, cps1 and cps2.

    Works fine on all of them. Just make sure to buy an authentic one. Don't save a couple bucks for the knock off one. Those are shit.
    Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!


    [Rot] 1:50 pm: ladyboys are HAWT!

  9. #9
    AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    aha2940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colombia

    Posts
    2,409
    Quote Originally Posted by BLEAGH View Post
    Sounds like you have most everything planned out. I would recommend adding a jrok sync cleaner just in case you ever want to run a pcb that might have a weird sync or something.

    Cps2 boards are already big so why not just make the enclosure big enough for them to sit on top of and use a real arcade psu. That way you'll have all the voltages you would ever need and be able to fine tune them if necessary.

    How Will you handle audio?
    For the enclosure I will be using a beat up NES Toaster I found, so space should not be an issue. However, I wanted the MV1C to stay inside at all times (disconnect it to use other boards) so I am not sure if a proper arcade power supply would work for me. Regarding the audio, I was thinking on keeping it mono (JAMMA compliant) and take the output from teh JAMMA edge to the audio in of the TV, but your question leads me to believe I am wrong with that

    Quote Originally Posted by broken View Post
    I use a picopsu in my supergun.

    Tested it so far with 1 slot MVS, PGM, cps1 and cps2.

    Works fine on all of them. Just make sure to buy an authentic one. Don't save a couple bucks for the knock off one. Those are shit.
    Thanks for the info broken, very valuableto know for sure the pico can handle my needs. Mind if I ask you the wattage of your picoPSU? also, I believe the original ones are sold on www.mini-box.com, am I right?

    Thanks!!

  10. #10
    . Yodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post


    Thanks for the info broken, very valuableto know for sure the pico can handle my needs. Mind if I ask you the wattage of your picoPSU? also, I believe the original ones are sold on www.mini-box.com, am I right?

    Thanks!!
    I am using a 80 watt Pico and 60 or 80 watt 12v brick. And yeah, mini-box.com is where you want to buy it. Ebay is a gamble. There are some legit US sellers of Pico psu's, but pretty much anything being sold from China is a clone.
    Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!


    [Rot] 1:50 pm: ladyboys are HAWT!

  11. #11
    Krauser's Henchman

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    my crack den with Dr Shroom

    Posts
    1,089
    20141014_211815.jpg
    20141014_211751.jpg

    Suzo-Happ 130watt PSU

    Jrok video converter

    Jasenhicks custom case

    RGBs passthrew (PVM direct support) via 220 resistors+lm1881 sync stripper+low pass noise filter.

    Because I posted it... Prepare for incoming messages of hate/squirrel pictures/etc.

  12. #12
    MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak DangerousK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Phillip Island

    Posts
    10,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassin000 View Post
    Because I posted it... Prepare for incoming messages of hate/squirrel pictures/etc.
    Then why post anything you worthless sack of shit?

    Still mad no one wanted you in Slashchat you fucking yokel?

    Or are you mad that no one wants you within 50 yards of any MA meet-up?
    Last edited by DangerousK; 10-18-2014 at 09:35 PM.

  13. #13
    King's Bartender
    Lemony Vengeance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A dried up lake bed

    Posts
    5,040
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousK View Post
    Then why post anything you worthless sack of shit?

    Still mad no one wanted you in Slashchat you fucking yokel?

    Or are you mad that no one wants you within 50 yards of any MA meet-up?
    Both of you need to chill out.

    Thanks for the tip on the pico PSU. Any particular amperage that would suffice? Did I read correctly that it couldn't do -5v?
    It's impossible to be a nice guy on the internet.

  14. #14
    . Yodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassin000 View Post

    Suzo-Happ 130watt PSU

    Jrok video converter

    Jasenhicks custom case

    RGBs passthrew (PVM direct support) via 220 resistors+lm1881 sync stripper+low pass noise filter.

    Because I posted it... Prepare for incoming messages of hate/squirrel pictures/etc.

    And how is any of that relevant to the thread and the OP's questions?

    That's why people don't like you; you're just dumb.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lemony Vengeance View Post

    Thanks for the tip on the pico PSU. Any particular amperage that would suffice? Did I read correctly that it couldn't do -5v?
    You can look through the spec sheets over each of the different pico's to see which would work best for you.

    And yeah, no -5v rail. Easy enough to rectify with a 7905 voltage regulator and small heatsink or a Negatron.
    Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on Youtube!


    [Rot] 1:50 pm: ladyboys are HAWT!

  15. #15
    JammaNationX
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    27,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassin000 View Post
    20141014_211815.jpg
    20141014_211751.jpg

    Suzo-Happ 130watt PSU

    Jrok video converter

    Jasenhicks custom case

    RGBs passthrew (PVM direct support) via 220 resistors+lm1881 sync stripper+low pass noise filter.

    Because I posted it... Prepare for incoming messages of hate/squirrel pictures/etc.
    You passed up my supergun for a Jasen model? Thanks.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL

    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    You passed up my supergun for a Jasen model? Thanks.
    Well it is jassin if that's saying anythin

  17. #17
    Baseball Star Hitter

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Arizona

    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    You passed up my supergun for a Jasen model? Thanks.
    You know you gone and fucked up when even Jame's makes a small stab/jab.
    Last edited by Skips; 10-19-2014 at 02:55 AM.

  18. #18
    Krauser's Henchman

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    my crack den with Dr Shroom

    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    You passed up my supergun for a Jasen model? Thanks.
    I decided the time had come for me to build my own.

    Jasen made (I've mentioned before I do not do powertools) the case, and thats it (btw it was also the single most expensive part in that build coming in at 2x the price of the Jrok).

    It was not pre assembled in the slightest... Have you seen his prices for a complete working out of the box SG??? Damn!

    I made the stripper/clamping board from single components.
    Something I gained experience doing while working with the Omega (see image below) on my PVM... I have YOU alone to thank for that!

    Note the signature hotglue
    20140807_093833-1.jpg

    When it comes to pre-made, ready to go SG's XX/JNX is still/always my first choice and thats no BS!

    To my fan club (DK/Broken/Skips)... Incoming messages of hate? You guys do not disappoint! Oh wait, where is NeoTurf with my squirrel pics?


  19. #19
    Baseball Star Hitter

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Arizona

    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassin000 View Post
    I decided the time had come for me to build my own.

    Jasen made (I've mentioned before I do not do powertools) the case, and thats it (btw it was also the single most expensive part in that build coming in at 2x the price of the Jrok).

    It was not pre assembled in the slightest... Have you seen his prices for a complete working out of the box SG??? Damn!

    I made the stripper/clamping board from single components.
    Something I gained experience doing while working with the Omega (see image below) on my PVM... I have YOU alone to thank for that!

    Note the signature hotglue
    20140807_093833-1.jpg

    When it comes to pre-made, ready to go SG's XX/JNX is still/always my first choice and thats no BS!

    To my fan club (DK/Broken/Skips)... Incoming messages of hate? You guys do not disappoint! Oh wait, where is NeoTurf with my squirrel pics?

    Only shitty modders hot glue solder joints like that. Hows that instead of squirrel messages? At least you did not candle heat an x-acto blade to butcher holes in it.

    P.S. Didn't you say you were leaving after leaching off the community or did you decide to stick it out and keep being a member here.

  20. #20
    Unholy Trinity.
    ReplicaX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mass

    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassin000 View Post
    I decided the time had come for me to build my own.

    (I've mentioned before I do not do powertools)
    I'd say man up and at the very least use a Dremel man.

    Clean up the JAMMA harness, plenty of wire management options out there.

    See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    Recommendations/opinions are very welcome guys.
    - Don't use hot glue when it isn't necessary at all.

    - Take your time and don't go halfassed. To include money wise.

    - You are already asking for advice from experienced modders which is a good start.


    The Unholy Trinity

  21. #21
    AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    aha2940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colombia

    Posts
    2,409
    Quote Originally Posted by ReplicaX View Post
    I'd say man up and at the very least use a Dremel man.

    Clean up the JAMMA harness, plenty of wire management options out there.

    See below.



    - Don't use hot glue when it isn't necessary at all.

    - Take your time and don't go halfassed. To include money wise.

    - You are already asking for advice from experienced modders which is a good start.
    Thanks for your help, ReplicaX. I generally try to follow these guidelines, especially regarding hot glue (do not want to be the next Drakon, hahaha) and try to take the time to get good results both from a working and appearance point of view.

  22. #22
    Mr. Big's Thug
    mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ontario

    Posts
    222
    Another addition for superguns is to include a pseudo stereo circuit for the mono output. You can make it switchable to support stereo games as well. It takes the mono sound, bypasses the low and high end to a second channel, but puts some of the mid frequencies out of phase in the process, creating a simulated stereo effect. Definitely not necessary, but I put it in my supergun just for kicks and it's kind of cool. I built on of the ones off this site:

    http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Publi...th/pench4.html

    I also found the RGB to component converter they've been working on over at Sega-16 works really well. It's worked perfectly with every console and arcade pcb I plugged into it. Also, it can be made really cheaply. I think I built mine for $15 or so. Might be a good alternative if you're looking to save some money on the build.

    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...g-the-BA7230LS
    Last edited by mikey; 10-19-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Forgot the link to the component converter...

  23. #23
    Hades Gate Keeper
    Tyranix95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    LA, CA

    Posts
    5,416
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Another addition for superguns is to include a pseudo stereo circuit for the mono output. You can make it switchable to support stereo games as well. It takes the mono sound, bypasses the low and high end to a second channel, but puts some of the mid frequencies out of phase in the process, creating a simulated stereo effect. Definitely not necessary, but I put it in my supergun just for kicks and it's kind of cool. I built on of the ones off this site:

    http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Publi...th/pench4.html

    I also found the RGB to component converter they've been working on over at Sega-16 works really well. It's worked perfectly with every console and arcade pcb I plugged into it. Also, it can be made really cheaply. I think I built mine for $15 or so. Might be a good alternative if you're looking to save some money on the build.

    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...g-the-BA7230LS
    Which schematics did you use?

  24. #24
    Mr. Big's Thug
    mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ontario

    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranix95 View Post
    Which schematics did you use?
    For the pseudo stereo circuit? I used this one:
    Fig53.gif

    Here is a perfboard layout for it I drew up:
    Pseudo Stereo LF353.png

    The light blue lines are jumpers, and the black lines are traces under the board. Here is a parts list for the project as well:

    Group Name Value Part # Quantity

    Capacitors C1 100uf 1
    Capacitors C2 0.47uf 1
    Capacitors C3, C4 22nf 2
    Capacitors C5 10uf 1
    Circuit boards Board 14x14 1
    Integrated circuits IC1, IC2 LF353 2
    Resistors R1, R2 4k7 2
    Resistors R3 100k 1
    Resistors R4, R5, R6, R7, R8, R9 10k 6

    You don't have to use an LF353 either, any other dual opamp should work fine. I used NE5532's in my build.

  25. #25
    AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    aha2940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colombia

    Posts
    2,409
    How does this pseudo stereo work? is it like the NES one where some shannels sound left and the rest right? I didn't get your explenation before, sorry.

    Thanks!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •