NES Multiout

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is the multi out from an AV famicom a direct swap with the US NES toploader?

What other systems can I harvest this connector from? It looks like Helder isn't going to make any more of the 3D printed ones.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Is the multi out from an AV famicom a direct swap with the US NES toploader?

What other systems can I harvest this connector from? It looks like Helder isn't going to make any more of the 3D printed ones.

Yes the back plate is a direct drop in but please don't harvest one from an AV Famicom to a use in a top loader :(. The AV Famicom costs a bit more then they do and are a better system IMO. I had a few people ask me to remove the back plate/connector from an AV Famicom (working ones at that) to use on a US top loader. I refused to do it on the grounds that it defiles the AV Famicom. If you just need the connector though there are tons of dead SNES PCB's out there from which the ports can be harvested from, you would just need to find a solution for the back plate and mounting the connector. AV Famicoms keep going up in price and although you can still find them on eBay there are not nearly as many of them around as there were 3-4 years ago. When people ask me to swap an AV Famicom back plate and av port into the top loader I simply recommend they use the AV Famicom with a converter if they HAVE to have an SNES style av port.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Helder should just open up that 3d printed back panel for people to freely print off. Sell the connector, open source the panel.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yes the back plate is a direct drop in but please don't harvest one from an AV Famicom to a use in a top loader :(. The AV Famicom costs a bit more then they do and are a better system IMO. I had a few people ask me to remove the back plate/connector from an AV Famicom (working ones at that) to use on a US top loader. I refused to do it on the grounds that it defiles the AV Famicom. If you just need the connector though there are tons of dead SNES PCB's out there from which the ports can be harvested from, you would just need to find a solution for the back plate and mounting the connector. AV Famicoms keep going up in price and although you can still find them on eBay there are not nearly as many of them around as there were 3-4 years ago. When people ask me to swap an AV Famicom back plate and av port into the top loader I simply recommend they use the AV Famicom with a converter if they HAVE to have an SNES style av port.

Should I sell my Toploader and get an AV Famicom instead? Maybe I should RGB mod it then buy an AV Famicom.

Helder should just open up that 3d printed back panel for people to freely print off. Sell the connector, open source the panel.

I totally agree, if he doesn't plan on making any more then he should release it to the community to prevent destruction of other NES family systems for the part.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Should I sell my Toploader and get an AV Famicom instead? Maybe I should RGB mod it then buy an AV Famicom.

I totally agree, if he doesn't plan on making any more then he should release it to the community to prevent destruction of other NES family systems for the part.

That is what I personally recommend. It gives you a top loading system and SNES multiout without sacking an AV Famicom. If RGB modded you can easily sell the top loader for $300-$350 if you include a controller and power supply. I sold my last front loader for $300. An AV Famicom and kit will cost you about $200 if you shop with some patience so you will still walk away with $100 from the top loader sale.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Yup he sad he will still be selling them at an increased cost

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I think Helder only designed the PCB. Buffalowing designed the 3D printed stuff.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
$33 is for just the plastic or does that include the PCB?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Should I sell my Toploader and get an AV Famicom instead?

This is exactly what I did. I got the AV Fami, and put an av Everdrive almost permanently in the cart slot. The AV Fami is so easy to do the mod to and it looks clean and stock even you're done if you don't install a palette switch.

Then I sold my av modded nes2 to a bud for $100.

Last edited: