Console shmups - pad or stick?

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I prefer pads for 2D games in general, but real arcade sticks are fine for most shooters. I've never liked console joysticks.

Frenetic

New Challenger
I recently acquired some consoles and pads aren't that bad for shmups. However, I would like to get a that XE-Pro 1 for PC Engine, but they're harder than hen's teeth to find. What are the good sticks (if any) for Genesis, SNES, NES?

I hear those XE-Pro 1 feel the same as a nes advantage so Ive stayed away from them. Anyone care to say they feel differently? As far as stick for those older consoles I would start with one of the higher quality and more customizable sticks for a PS2 like a HRAP2 and buy yourself a handful of tototek adapters.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23&zenid=31lmmjnoprr3cjblo80if8ef85

Or convert a similar stick with a multi console pcb. Either will feel much more like and arcade rig than the stiff plasticky sticks and buttons that were available for the early consoles.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I have this joystick for PC Engine, SNES and Genesis, it's perfect and not so hard to find.

DSC08119.jpg

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
I've always been a hardcore joystick guy for any arcade style game. But I recently got a Saturn with a Japanese first party pad and damn if using it for shmups isn't bad at all.

Fighters though, stick all the way.

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
I play almost everything with a stick and have modded namco sticks which i can use on every console. No compromises!