Console shmups - pad or stick?

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
Depends on the game, i usually prefer stick but on some games i prefer pad.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I think I prefer sticks. Controllers are fine but when I get down to the nitty gritty, I always go for the arcades stick.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I really really like the Saturn pad. Such a simple and good-feeling pad that doesn't wear on you. I'm going to make a cable for my stick for Saturn compatibility and see if I get spoiled or not.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I really really like the Saturn pad. Such a simple and good-feeling pad that doesn't wear on you. I'm going to make a cable for my stick for Saturn compatibility and see if I get spoiled or not.

Oh man I do not like using Dpads for shmups. Analog all the way.

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
I use Arcade Sticks on all my consoles but the pce system for shmups :buttrock:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Stick for everything that can be used with.

When it comes to pads I'm a fan of the NES, SNES, Saturn, Neo CD, Logitech Precision, PSX (Digital only). However I'd only play with them if I have to, stick all the way.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Sadly, so far I can only use the stick with the Neo. I like the Genesis 6-button pad and the SNES pad. Not much of a fan of the NES pad, I find it uncomfortable because of it being square. I like the famicom pads better.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
This thread just made me realise, I really need to get one of the talented NeoGeo tech-types (i.e. Xian Xi, for example) to DB15 me some 6-button MD/Gen pads for use on the NeoGeo.

Shoulder button would be 'Start' btw, with face button 'Start' being reassigned as 'Select'...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Sadly, so far I can only use the stick with the Neo. I like the Genesis 6-button pad and the SNES pad. Not much of a fan of the NES pad, I find it uncomfortable because of it being square. I like the famicom pads better.

Parcero, pana del obrero! You ought to try the dog bone pads, they are extremely comfortable, way better than the famicom pads, they feel like a SNES pad with 2 buttons, so slick!

Que viva Colombia hijueputa!!!

nesdogbone.jpg

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I just got the Capcom Power Stick for SNES - tried playing the 3 different shmups on the system I have. I prefer arcade joystick to gamepad, but unfortunately this particular joystick is not as responsive as I'd like it to be. Anyone ever mod this thing with better microswitches or something? Is it possible?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
open it up let's take a look at it.

As far as sticks for NES go you may like this but it's pretty price, a thing of beauty really.

201010135332065_0.jpg

I decided to make my own NES stick out of a desktop enclosure, you can get them for like 25 bucks online, a leftover stick from a Mad Catz stick I modded 'cause I didn't feel the need for a real sanwa stick for it and of course the PCB, buttons and a bit of wire, I bet I spent under 50 bucks altogether. Just look up desktop enclosures and you'll find it.

Oh yeah, I have 1CC'ed Ninja Gaiden III US and Castlevania with this without a problem, so yes I preffer a stick over a pad but I can play with a pad if I must.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I actually like how the Vs. versions play on the Red Tent more than the controller for a lot of games, Castlevania included.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love the sticks and buttons on those, the original parts have this very peculiar feel to them. Even the playchoice cabs have them, so slick.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I love the sticks and buttons on those, the original parts have this very peculiar feel to them. Even the playchoice cabs have them, so slick.

+1

Always loved how small the stick is. Plus the buttons have such a great tactile feel with the deep dish top

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
With shmups as well as most games I generally prefer a pad/regular controller. I appreciate sticks for the arcade feel and like to use them from time to time but usually do better with a pad. The systems I mainly grew up playing were the Nes, SMS and Genesis so I'm just used to playing with that kind of controller. I usually get further in the game/get a higher score with them.

I've always had some trouble with older joysticks like the Atari and Coleco ones as well as the Nes advantage. The Neo Geo sticks are nice though. I seem to be getting the hang of playing with those.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Hmm, depends, I would normally say an arcade stick, but for Saturn and PCE shooters I only have pads for those consoles.
I also have DeathSmiles for the 360 which I have to use a (Brawl)stick for, but only because the stock pad has the worst D-pad.

That being said, I used to play R-Type on the SMS with this: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/hardware/sega_sms_control-stick_1.jpg

Which is bizzare because the stick and buttons are in the wrong placement.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It depends on what system I have a stick for. The Saturn, PS1/3, and (back when I owned the system) 360 shooters I had/have all get played with sticks, just like the fighters. Oddly enough, I could play Raiden Fighters Aces better with a pad (3rd party of course).

The PCE's controller makes my hand ache. I think it might be the placement of the d-pad. It's smooth as silk, but I could never play anything for long stretches because of it.

damosh

n00b
I love to play with pads, especially snes, neo cd, but when it comes to play shmups you definitely need a stick :-)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes, if only the buttons were

A C
B D

...or if all fighting games had buttons configurations I'd be all set. So sad, I'm actually making adaptors for Karnov's and KOF to work like

LP HP
LK HK

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
I have this amazing ability where my thumb can actually move around though, so I get along just swimmingly with the NGCD pad. :)

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Yeah I get where you're coming from.
I have big thumbs though, so I can hit 2 at once in any direction. Just sometimes takes a few mins if you've been playing 1 game for ages then switch and it's different (MotW vs. every other fighter).

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I've been playing 'Raiden III' on the PS2 recently, and I've begun using the PS1 arcade stick.
A7BF6F9C-0B8E-452D-9F4C-875E2C57131C_zpsknkeu9zt.jpg

I think I'm a bit better with the standard PS2 controller at this point, but I feel the stick has better potential longterm to maximize my ability. I've never been one to use sticks on shmups, but now that I'm trying it, I really like the feel of it. I think I'll try it on some other consoles as well.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Hmm, depends, I would normally say an arcade stick, but for Saturn and PCE shooters I only have pads for those consoles.
I also have DeathSmiles for the 360 which I have to use a (Brawl)stick for, but only because the stock pad has the worst D-pad.

That being said, I used to play R-Type on the SMS with this: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/hardware/sega_sms_control-stick_1.jpg

Which is bizzare because the stick and buttons are in the wrong placement.

Do you like that SMS stick? A local shop has one for 7.99. I didn't pick it up because the stick was on the right, but I've been thinking about going back for it.