Console shmups - pad or stick?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Been playing a lot of Saturn shmups and was thinking about picking up a stick, but not sure if it's worth it. The Saturn pad is pretty amazing and I've always played my other console shmups with pads. But on my blast city, neo shmups feel wonderful, so what do you guys do on your consoles.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I used to do pads on consoles for shooters, but now....I'm all stick.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I use the stick as well. feels great playing shmups, fighters and beat em ups on an arcade stick

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Saturn pads are awesome for street fighter, however I use a Namco PSX stick with a Tototek adapter for shooting.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Stick when at all possible. Still looking for that PCE stick at a good price lol.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Stick when at all possible. Still looking for that PCE stick at a good price lol.

Which stick are you talking about? Cause if your looking for the XE-1, good luck, used ones go for 150+ on YAJ.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Depends on the stick. I'd recommend just getting a decent late-model Hori stick with Sanwa parts and have Lemz dual mod it for you to work with all of your consoles. You'll end up saving money in the long run and will have 1 consistent stick experience across all platforms.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Damn that's a pretty overwhelming response haha. Might have to pick up a stick for the Saturn now =)

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
One more vote for arcade stick.

Find one you like, and multi console mod it. Consistency across platforms is awesome.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
It really depends on the mood. I use both for PCE shooters. Whenever I play The Soldier Collection on my PSP, I obviously use a gamepad. My stick of choice for PCE is the Hori. Since I'm not picking up an XE-1 any time soon, it was the most cost effective and useful stick out there for the system.

The only game that I've tried to play with a pad that didn't feel right was the emulated version of Armed Police Batrider. The control of the shots and bombs felt foreign when compared to playing the PCB in my cab.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I have always used the NGCD pad, but I have a stick lying around that I'd like Lem to dual mod for me for everything possible. Then I'll be set

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
I find it easier to do fast nudges to avoid bullets or graze them with a stick...but it's all relative. You now have top fighting game players (a genre of game which had people crying for AGES about the benefits of using sticks) using pads all the time.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Console fighters or shmups: pad all the way.

Sticks are just so much fucking hard work. I like the advantage of finger access to all the face buttons at one time for quick combo-ability, but on the whole, I just find Pads so much less work. I also have have much better accuracy and execution of moves etc on a pad.

I attended a retro gaming event in the Uk recently and, in vs or shmup situations, sucked hard with a stick...

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Console fighters or shmups: pad all the way.

Sticks are just so much fucking hard work. I like the advantage of finger access to all the face buttons at one time for quick combo-ability, but on the whole, I just find Pads so much less work. I also have have much better accuracy and execution of moves etc on a pad.

I attended a retro gaming event in the Uk recently and, in vs or shmup situations, sucked hard with a stick...

At the end of the day it's personal preference, but I find buttons (especially multi button combos) way easier to access on a stick than a pad.

Microswitches fo lyfe.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
This may seem a bit weird, but I prefer horizontal shooters with a pad, but vertical ones with a stick.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
If there's a single bullet on screen I'd crash into it playing with a stick. Always pads for me.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Pads are for bleeding vaginas... or platformers, but mainly vaginas.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Pad is beyond terrible. I use it for PCE caravan games only.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not super picky with shooters to be honest. Pads suck in general, but the Saturn pad is read and I rarely desire a stick when using it. However, auto fire is a must when using pads for some games,I simply can't mash the button like a madman on a pad, but few shooters I play really require it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Depends on the console really.

PCE, Saturn, SNES & MD pad

PS1/2, DC and up stick

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Stick. Back when the SNES port of Fatal Fury Special was released, the Capcom Fighter Power Stick was the only controller I could reliably pull off desperation moves with.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Depends on the stick. I'd recommend just getting a decent late-model Hori stick with Sanwa parts and have Lemz dual mod it for you to work with all of your consoles. You'll end up saving money in the long run and will have 1 consistent stick experience across all platforms.

I agree, with a custom stick I'm in heaven, it's not just the speed in execution or the comfort for the layout, it's a question of user experience.
Nothing beats the "clickness", it gives phisicity to the game, for me.

On the other hand, between a scarce (or old/dirt/not in perfect working order) stick and a regular pad, I prefer the pad which with its durabilty at least doesn't affect the performance.