Console shmups - pad or stick?

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Ok, it's not the Cthulhu. It happens with the pad as well. The game just has random sections where the ship rebound doesn't happen. It's pretty annoying.

For example:

In stage 2 just before the lava section there is no rebound, it comes back in the lava section, and then stops happening again right after the lava section.

The very beginning of stage 3 before the small spider there is no ship rebound

Right before stage 4 boss, no rebound.

Jreach

n00b
Anyone have any experience with the Saturn Virtua Stick HSS-0136? How the quality? Play better for fighters or shmups? Thanks

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Having played so many shmups on my candy cab, it just feels wrong to play console ones with a pad. Especially Cave games...it just feels unnatural.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It depends on the control pad for me. Having played a lot of Shmups on the Saturn, I didn't once even consider getting an arcade stick, the pad was so good.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Having never owned a decent stick for any of my consoles, I always stick to the pad.

mr.2jz

n00b
It's usually an arcade stick most of the time.

But the saturn pad was pretty spot on, damn near perfect.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
I like the PC engine pad for shmups a lot. For most other home consoles I'd prefer a stick.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I go with a stick unless I don't have one for whatever system I'm playing on.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Mostly pad, especially when playing on the PC Engine. I'm not a fan of the Megadrive pad for shooters for some reason, but the Saturn pad is good as well (and, I suppose, the 6-button Megadrive would be good as well, although I've never used it). Every other console is stick only.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
There are a few versions of the 360 pad, honestly they aren’t so bad like people make it out to be. Lots of great players use them.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Depends on the game and if there's a need of turbo/auto fire.

I can't visualize myself playing Axelay on a stick nor Strikers on a pad.
It really depends on how the gameplay is focused or meant to be played.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
There are a few versions of the 360 pad, honestly they aren’t so bad like people make it out to be. Lots of great players use them.

It just takes some getting used to, but yeah they are pretty solid. I'd still prefer a stick though, given the choice.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
It depends on the control pad for me. Having played a lot of Shmups on the Saturn, I didn't once even consider getting an arcade stick, the pad was so good.

Agree with this 100%. The Saturn pad is my favorite pad for Shmups by far, because it doesn't destroy my thumb and because it's "clicky" and tactile. Every other console, I prefer the joystick. The PC Engine / TurboGrafx pads are by far the worst on my thumbs.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
When the NES was going out of style and getting dumped at the used stores, I managed to pick up two Advantage joysticks which I used for pretty much everything on that console. After that I was pretty much corrupted and ended up getting sticks when I could.

But hey there are people who counter stop Futari Ultra using a 360 pad and no tate so there are definitely different ways to learn.