Multi Slot Restart issues

halfelite

n00b
Hello,

Hopefully someone has some ideas. I have a 4 slot board running unibios v2.2. with KoF 94,95,96,98 loaded up in the slots. The cab worked great and ran smooth but was turned off for a long period of time. I recently turned it back on and now I get constant rebooting during game boot up or in the middle of a game. I cant access the unibios screen by holding down ABC at boot either.

I pulled all the carts out cleaned the contacts. I checked all the wiring connections except dont have my multimeter handy to check power supply I will bring it home with me tomorrow. Just hoping for some more ideas I could look at.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
In my experience, rebooting during the game is caused by a bad/weak power supply, dirty cart slot(s) or sometimes a problematic BIOS.

halfelite

n00b
Thanks I will test out the Power supply tonight with a multi meter. And try swapping it with another. And if I must I will swap the unibios chip with my other cab as well. I was hoping to avoid ripping them apart but looks like that is what it will take.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Real quick, you can do a small test for the power supply. Put in just one small meg game, see if you get the resetting. Then try loading up the cab with 4 of your highest meg games, then test again. If you have more resetting the more stuff you load into the 4-slot, then yeah the power supply is inadequate.

halfelite

n00b
Finally got around to working on this. I cleaned all the carts and the board took everything apart and still getting a reboot. I took the carts out and put them in my other 4 slot cab and they played without issue. I noticed on the problem board I cant access unibois options either if I hold down ABC. Could it be corrupt bios or maybe bad board?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Check to see if the battery leaked and whether the board is getting enough power from the PSU.

halfelite

n00b
Checked battery no leakage. Checked voltage all is well. I remembered I had an original bios chip swapped it in and it played much better with no restarts. I did not buy this uni chip it came with the board years ago so wonder if its a fake. I will order up a real one right now.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
are all your buttons working?

you may have your jamma edge connector not well connected.
a bad contact might be the occurence of your non-ABC UNIBios restart.

Go to your test menu without any cart and check the I/O first.
If it's ok, then try again and try another bios also.

halfelite

n00b
All I/O is good. I made sure the jamma edge connector was seated correctly multiple times. I put an Order in for a new Unibios chip. It was an old version anyways like v2.2 so an upgrade was in order. Hopefully once it comes in all will be well.

halfelite

n00b
I installed new uni chip and still having issues. This is the error I get. These carts work fine in my other 4 slot. So lm thinking maybe its something wrong with the 4slot board itself now

rsz_20141101_213640.jpg

This is what happens when I try to enter uni bios menu just goes into a loop of sorts.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The youtube video is private, so I can't see it.

Regards.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I just noticed your BIOS shows no region. Maybe the EPROM is corrupted. Have you tried with an original BIOS chip?

halfelite

n00b
I just noticed your BIOS shows no region. Maybe the EPROM is corrupted. Have you tried with an original BIOS chip?

I did the original chip did function better but still had a couple carts crashing.

I assume no region is set because its a new unibios chip and I cant get in the unibios screen to set it

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I assume no region is set because its a new unibios chip and I cant get in the unibios screen to set it

I think that's not correct. If you select no region, the BIOS has one by default (Europe IIRC) so not showing any is odd.

Regards

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
From the looks of it I'm thinking there is a backup RAM issue on this board.

Also I guess you have enabled the hardware protect feature maybe, you have to hold testmode+a+b+c+start to get into the unibios mian menu if you have.

Also go into testmode and clear the backupram.

Last edited:

halfelite

n00b
From the looks of it I'm thinking there is a backup RAM issue on this board.

Also I guess you have enabled the hardware protect feature maybe, you have to hold testmode+a+b+c+start to get into the unibios mian menu if you have.

Also go into testmode and clear the backupram.

I tried using dip switch 1 and entering uni still a no go, and clearing the backupram. Guess I will shop around for replacement ram chips. I will pull the battery when I get home and inspect the board in great detail.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
You have to hold a+b+c together, if you press a on its own slightly early it will skip the unibios splash screen like your video shows.

halfelite

n00b
You have to hold a+b+c together, if you press a on its own slightly early it will skip the unibios splash screen like your video shows.

I tried it multiple times. putting the chip in my other 4 slot I could get in with ease. I checked button mapping and everything seems fine.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Then your backup RAM has problems. Like others have suggested look around the battery area, even though you see no leakage does not mean there has not been corrosion in that area.

An easy way to confirm that is to simply goto the unibios ingame memory viewer and scroll to the 0xD00000 region. Take a picture of the what you see and post it. That will confirm it one way or another.

Raz