Neo Geo MVS restoration, done with Formica (pics inside)

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
I have another thread going in tech support about the status of my MVS restoration project, but I thought that this step in my journey has been quite fruitful and can be a benefit to anyone in the community thinking of taking on a MVS restoration.

The cab I bought was in horrible shape, but I got it for pennies the particle board was damaged in many areas from both abrasive damage and moisture damage. The original side-art on an MVS cab is made of vinyl, most people who restore MVS cabs sand it down and paint it.

I personally did not like the paint option and wanted to go with a vinyl wrap, but after doing research I found that vinyl is quite expensive and you only get 1 shot at putting it on, so if you screw up you are outta luck.

A good friend of mine does cabinetry and he suggested that I coat it in formica, mind you formica is not cheap either and neither is paying someone to install it for you. I opted to go this route because I wanted the restoration to look right, and I had a good amount of birthday money to spend, so I bit the bullet.

Here are the pics I took of the process and let me tell you I am glad I chose this route, because it looks FANTASTIC!

Tearing down the cab

Naked cab

Bondo patchwork

New roll of formica $76 worth

Application of adhesive (contact cement)

Here is video of my buddy frank cutting the formica, watching it take shape was fascinating!

[video]http://vid684.photobucket.com/albums/vv210/famicom-fan/IMG_1512.mp4[/video]

and the other side

The finished product! I am waiting for some stencils that my brother in law is making for me so I can spray on the Neo and MVS logos on the side, but so far this project is coming out amazing!

George

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That looks awesome. Formica was a great idea!

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Wow. That looks outstanding. Gonna be a great looking cab when you're through.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
that is beautiful to see. i love to see people restore things to better than new condition. it is so Awesome. i salute you...

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Great job! I'm hesitant to restore my cabinet because it is in good shape. Probably a 7-8 / 10 condition-wise. It's good to know about all the options for restoration materials, so thank you for sharing!

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Looks good, ball bearing bit & sandles are all you need!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Guys, this thread is from 2014.

That said formica is baller. I used to use it in skateboard decks.

That's really cool man. Is this your first time doing this? I really want to try restoring cabinets as a hobby but it takes a lot of different skills like wood working, soldering, etc and I don't really have any experience with that sort of thing let alone the tools lol. Any tips for someone else who wants to learn? :)

Speed3

Marked Wolf
I know this is an old thread but the Formica looks awesome. I want to do this to my big red so bad.