Ebola hits Texas: What you should know.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I don't know if this was the case at every school, but I went to a Quaker school and you needed a permission slip to attend sex education. My parents never signed mine, so I had to wait in the cafeteria until the class was over...

I just assumed they never signed it because they didn't want me to have sex....but years later when I asked them about it they told me it was because they thought I would never get laid anyway.

:crying:

woe is moe

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i had one condom in my wallet throughout highschool...Sadly never got a chance to use it. I ended up losing my condom ring dented wallet at a movie theater, i bet some lucky bastard found it & used it.:very_ang:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I don't know if this was the case at every school, but I went to a Quaker school and you needed a permission slip to attend sex education. My parents never signed mine, so I had to wait in the cafeteria until the class was over...

I just assumed they never signed it because they didn't want me to have sex....but years later when I asked them about it they told me it was because they thought I would never get laid anyway.

Oh, and how correct they were.

Just remember guys. When you meet a chick with Ebola who wants to do you, don't go bareback, saddle up and dip your little carrot in bleach when your done. The CDC recommends a 5 minute soaking to make sure your pecker is fully decontaminated.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
eh, no biggie.

All I needed in highschool was my genesis, controller w/ slo-mo, Blaze from Streets of Rage 2 and a little privacy, and I was good to go

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Oh, and how correct they were.

Just remember guys. When you meet a chick with Ebola who wants to do you, don't go bareback, saddle up and dip your little carrot in bleach when your done. The CDC recommends a 5 minute soaking to make sure your pecker is fully decontaminated.

Ebola is like pregnancy, just go up her up butt and you'll be fine

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
I actually live in Dallas now and work in healthcare on the business side of things. Doctors I talk to are all extremely worried about this. If you lived here and walked in hospitals all day like I do you would be paranoid. People that say you shouldn't be worried have no understanding of the disease, or are getting their facts strictly from the CDC or news articles that repeat the garbage coming from the CDC. I could speculate a lot on why they would be doing it but it's not as important as understanding how quickly it can spread. I hate CNN and everything they do, but they actually put out an article called "5 things the CDC got wrong about Ebola" that's fairly spot on.

The whole don't worry it's not contagious if you don't have symptoms crap is exactly why you should be worried. Think about this how many times have you gone to work with a low grade fever and took a Tylenol and pushed through it. The symptoms of Ebola set on slowly and at first are impossible to differentiate from other common viruses like the flu.

I'll lay out a very real hypothetical scenario for you: A healthcare worker comes into contact with a patient that has Ebola. She wears protective gear and the CDC tells her you don't have to worry, you are in the low risk group. Go about your normal life and just "self monitor" by taking your temperature twice a day. She takes her temp, it's 99.0 so no biggie, and go out to a bar and get drunk. She starts to run a fever which means you're contagious, but don't know it because you're hammered. She makes out with a random dude who is also drunk. The next afternoon when she wakes up she takes her temp and realizes that she has a fever and calls and reports it. That evening she finds out she is positive for Ebola. She starts going through everyone she contacted in the past 24 hours. Maybe she remembers the makeout, maybe not. Probably can't remember the dudes name. Impossible to figure out who it is. The information on who she is doesn't make it to the news for 3 days. In the meantime, the random dude starts to run a fever, takes a Tylenol and goes out and makes out with people. He doesn't know he's had contact with someone who has Ebola until he checks the news, or he might not see the news and not even be tested for it until possibly his symptoms worsen and the hospital has to screen for everything to see what it is. And think about all the people he had close contact with in the meantime.

I suggest reading this http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-the-u-s-politics-and-public-health-dont-mix/, written by a real MD, to gain an understanding of why the panic is not totally unwarranted. With something this deadly you take no chances, and by downplaying this the government is encouraging people to take a lot of them.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I actually live in Dallas now and work in healthcare on the business side of things. Doctors I talk to are all extremely worried about this. If you lived here and walked in hospitals all day like I do you would be paranoid. People that say you shouldn't be worried have no understanding of the disease, or are getting their facts strictly from the CDC or news articles that repeat the garbage coming from the CDC. I could speculate a lot on why they would be doing it but it's not as important as understanding how quickly it can spread. I hate CNN and everything they do, but they actually put out an article called "5 things the CDC got wrong about Ebola" that's fairly spot on.

The whole don't worry it's not contagious if you don't have symptoms crap is exactly why you should be worried. Think about this how many times have you gone to work with a low grade fever and took a Tylenol and pushed through it. The symptoms of Ebola set on slowly and at first are impossible to differentiate from other common viruses like the flu.

I'll lay out a very real hypothetical scenario for you: A healthcare worker comes into contact with a patient that has Ebola. She wears protective gear and the CDC tells her you don't have to worry, you are in the low risk group. Go about your normal life and just "self monitor" by taking your temperature twice a day. She takes her temp, it's 99.0 so no biggie, and go out to a bar and get drunk. She starts to run a fever which means you're contagious, but don't know it because you're hammered. She makes out with a random dude who is also drunk. The next afternoon when she wakes up she takes her temp and realizes that she has a fever and calls and reports it. That evening she finds out she is positive for Ebola. She starts going through everyone she contacted in the past 24 hours. Maybe she remembers the makeout, maybe not. Probably can't remember the dudes name. Impossible to figure out who it is. The information on who she is doesn't make it to the news for 3 days. In the meantime, the random dude starts to run a fever, takes a Tylenol and goes out and makes out with people. He doesn't know he's had contact with someone who has Ebola until he checks the news, or he might not see the news and not even be tested for it until possibly his symptoms worsen and the hospital has to screen for everything to see what it is. And think about all the people he had close contact with in the meantime.

I suggest reading this http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-the-u-s-politics-and-public-health-dont-mix/, written by a real MD, to gain an understanding of why the panic is not totally unwarranted. With something this deadly you take no chances, and by downplaying this the government is encouraging people to take a lot of them.

That was a pretty interesting article. I have to say I agree with 95% of it. The part about patients not coming in because of not having insurance does not stop most people. Most people seem to use the emergency as a "free" family practice. And we are required to treat everyone regardless, and even have financial counselors that go to every room for people who have no insurance and give them basically a free ride for 90 days I think. The only time we have people complain is when they want narcotic pain medication and we refuse. Then they say we don't treat them. I do work in a rather large emergency room though. It is currently the largest in Ohio. We see anywhere from 200 to over 300 patients a day. Which is about on par with the ebola camps I saw on the NOVA broadcast.

The hazmat suit being too complicated does make sense. They are very hard to remove and put on. But regardless, the equipment we are supplied is far from sufficient to combat anything of real threat.

I would not mind checking out your article if you have it handy.

Also, are you familiar with the isolation gear I am referring to? If so would you think it would suffice in the event of a ebola outbreak? Would you enter a room wearing it?

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
eh, no biggie.

All I needed in highschool was my genesis, controller w/ slo-mo, Blaze from Streets of Rage 2 and a little privacy, and I was good to go

I feel you there. I was playing Splatterhouse 3, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Landstalker back then. Come to think of it, I could get by with no woman, and just a few games now. Play whatever I want, when I want. No stupid trips to the mall to walk around. Just me and my games.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

And they were right.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Don't ask if you don't wanna know.

Last edited:

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
That was a pretty interesting article. I have to say I agree with 95% of it. The part about patients not coming in because of not having insurance does not stop most people. Most people seem to use the emergency as a "free" family practice. And we are required to treat everyone regardless, and even have financial counselors that go to every room for people who have no insurance and give them basically a free ride for 90 days I think. The only time we have people complain is when they want narcotic pain medication and we refuse. Then they say we don't treat them. I do work in a rather large emergency room though. It is currently the largest in Ohio. We see anywhere from 200 to over 300 patients a day. Which is about on par with the ebola camps I saw on the NOVA broadcast.

The hazmat suit being too complicated does make sense. They are very hard to remove and put on. But regardless, the equipment we are supplied is far from sufficient to combat anything of real threat.

I would not mind checking out your article if you have it handy.

Also, are you familiar with the isolation gear I am referring to? If so would you think it would suffice in the event of a ebola outbreak? Would you enter a room wearing it?

Yes you are absolutely right about people with no insurance not hesitating to go to the ER. I am not familiar with the protective gear you speak of.

I do know the CDC is certainly concealing the dangers of it spreading on surfaces. And when you think about how many surfaces the original Ebola patient could have put his bodily fluids on during his two trips to the hospital it really is terrifying. The other day I saw a giant snot wad someone had coughed into a public water fountain, basically using it as a sink. I couldn't help but think what if Mr. Duncan did that on one of his visits. Everyone who drank from that fountain would have had a potential exposure to his bodily fluids and you could never track that. Same with anything he could have splattered in a pubic restroom.

When I'm onsite in the hospitals I am doing my best to avoid the public restrooms, not using the ones located by the ER, and certainly no longer using the water fountains. People do all kinds of nasty stuff in hospitals outside of patient rooms.

Here is the cnn article. http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/13/health/ebola-cdc/

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Hey greedo,
I agree with you on a bunch of this stuff.
Mostly about the high cost of this kind of care.
Logistically, a hospital probably would have to clear out a wing for an ebola patient.
There are procedures for disposing of hospital equipment for the next patient.
For ebola where everything is in question, sanitizing of the equipment and furniture of the room is pretty thorough.
Hospital tools could be autoclave'd.
Most hospitals do not have incinerators to avoid air permits.
Anything they're disposing of has to be transported away.
Anything ebola related is a category A material per dept of transportation
and has the highest triple packaging requirements.
For a reference point, anthrax is category B.
The waste would probably be taken to an disposal site for incineration.
In this case, the apartment waste which included the linens and mattress of Duncan,
was taken to Veolia to be incinerated.
The same place the Syrian chemical weapons were taken to be disposed.
Reality is these incinerated ashes of Duncan and his waste are now in limbo because the state of Louisiana is
legally prohibiting transporting of his ashes to a landfill in Louisiana.
back to the logistics of it all:
the cost of treatment, protecting your staff, protecting your other patients (customers), and disposing of waste
all while trying to meet public perceptions and regulatory standards is expensive.
This particular case probably happened at the cost of Texas tax payers for a non US Liberian citizen.

This could just be a high learning curve until a better process presents itself,
but until then, I wouldn't argue that if there was an outbreak we would all be screwed.
Just looking at current events, you can venture that all it takes is large public disapproval of something
for large scale riots to happen similar to what happened in Ferguson.
But hey, I could be completely wrong about things.
It wouldn't be the first time.
But this is definitely an issue that's not going away soon.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Doctors I talk to are all extremely worried about this.

Which just means that doctors, despite years of education, are just as bad at risk assessment as the rest of the population.

Think about it once and have the procedure in place just in case sure, but worry? As in, every day go to work in fear that this is the day you'll get ebola? I hope they don't drive a car in to work. If they're over 40 they're probably more likely to have a heart attack that day. God forbid they just slip and fall and crack their head open.

Ebola isn't a pretty death, it also has a very high mortality rate which makes it scarier to people at the thought of getting a 50/50 shot at dying once infected. The flu by contrast will kill many more than ebola this year, but people seem less concerned when by percentage of people infected very few die.

To me, your link says very little about how a panic about ebola is unwarranted and says a lot more about how the current hospital system has been warped and can no longer function as the front line for control for ANY infectious disease. Government grant money has diverted attention to the 'scary' things like bioterrorism that have an almost infinitesimal risk to the public at large, meanwhile basic sanitation and sterilization is forgone and overall patient care is diminished.

It actually read to me as an indictment of how a panic because of poor risk assessment leads to deficiencies in other far more valuable areas.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I can't believe that Hospital healthcare workers who work around MRSA all the time are so freaked out.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I think the thing that bothers me the most about it is the idea that there could be some ass hat out there that would want to spread it around if he got it. Second to that some fellow with amazing work ethic gets it and decides it's nothing and keeps going in to work trying to hide he is sick thinking he just has the flu or such. Those types of things would be very unlikely though, but if happened could be an awful tragedy to a local community.

Unless something seriously awful and unforeseen happens I just don't see this thing getting out of hand yet.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Which just means that doctors, despite years of education, are just as bad at risk assessment as the rest of the population.

Think about it once and have the procedure in place just in case sure, but worry? As in, every day go to work in fear that this is the day you'll get ebola? I hope they don't drive a car in to work. If they're over 40 they're probably more likely to have a heart attack that day. God forbid they just slip and fall and crack their head open.

Ebola isn't a pretty death, it also has a very high mortality rate which makes it scarier to people at the thought of getting a 50/50 shot at dying once infected. The flu by contrast will kill many more than ebola this year, but people seem less concerned when by percentage of people infected very few die.

To me, your link says very little about how a panic about ebola is unwarranted and says a lot more about how the current hospital system has been warped and can no longer function as the front line for control for ANY infectious disease. Government grant money has diverted attention to the 'scary' things like bioterrorism that have an almost infinitesimal risk to the public at large, meanwhile basic sanitation and sterilization is forgone and overall patient care is diminished.

It actually read to me as an indictment of how a panic because of poor risk assessment leads to deficiencies in other far more valuable areas.

You're 100% correct.

I think the main reason people freak out over stuff like this is that ebola is many times more deadly than the flu. Yes, more people will die this year of the flu. But the vast majority of people who die form the flu are over 65 and in poor health. The reason they die is complications because it develops into pneumonia. The percentage of early adults and middle age adults that die from the flu is almost non-existent. And the people who do end up dying are already in very poor health from other major health issues.

The fear is ebola could spread or even mutate. Ebola kills without regard to age. I'm sure younger people are more likely to recover, but they are still at a very high risk for expiration.

In a way the "panic" is a good thing. It makes people aware, and aware people are more likely to be educated, or even donate money to help research cures. It also makes health care organizations get off their ass and make things happen. No doubt if there was no panic ebola would spread through the USA and kill MANY more people than any flu ever has.

Another reason for fear is that ebola is the most contagious and deadly parasite in the history of man kind. Mutating to airborne would make it even worse. If it is not already.

here is a link to the press conference broadcast - on fox news unfortunately. But very informative. We are doing a good job thus far if all this is true. The main problem will not be containing the virus in the USA, but preventing it from spreading overseas so we are not to a point where people are constantly entering the USA spreading ebola.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/14/cdc-lays-out-new-battle-plan-to-stop-spread-ebola-in-us/

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I think the main reason people freak out over stuff like this is that ebola is many times more deadly than the flu.

I only see you freaking out over this.

In a way the "panic" is a good thing.

You started this thread because you said there was no panic.

No doubt if there was no panic ebola would spread through the USA and kill MANY more people than any flu ever has.

In 1918 Spanish Flu killed between 50-100 million people. That's 5% of the worlds population at the time. In one year the average life expectancy of an American dropped by 12 years. You have no knowledge of history.

Another reason for fear is that ebola is the most contagious and deadly parasite in the history of man kind.

Total bullshit. Evidence?

Mutating to airborne would make it even worse.

If it mutated into tiny little nuclear bombs that could form together T1000 style into one giant superbomb that could take out the entire Northern hemisphere in one mighty explosion that would also make it even worst, but it hasn't, so it's a waste of time discussing it.

here is a link to the press conference broadcast - on fox news unfortunately.

Fox News, wahey!

We are doing a good job thus far if all this is true.

You said we were doing a shit job, and this was why you needed to let us all know the insider info you had.

I'm not trying to shit on you personally here, but everything you are saying is either contradictory, made up off the top of your head or completely speculative. It's just about the perfect way to be totally ignored. Just read the shit you're typing back to yourself before you click post.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
There was plenty of information linked, even to the CDC website that explained my made up theories. News was dropped yesterday that the CDC is evaluating their protocols. I stated multiple times there is no reason to freak out. But it is very possible it could get a lot worse. And even if I did freak out I do work in health care, so it would be justifiable. I am at a far greater risk than non health care workers. And no, there is no evidence yet it is the most contagious virus on earth. But it doesn't take Steven fucking hawking to realize it it is. That's why people are still contracting it even when wearing full body garb, that and it's not exactly known how it spreads from host to host.

By December Ebola is expected to increase by 10,000 cases per week. It won't take long if it gets out of control to reach the numbers you said. If you have watched the NOVA video, you would see how crazy those people are over there. They locals have no regard for containing the disease due to numerous reasons. Mainly burial practices and denial as mentioned above. But yes, that was out of my ass, but not totally unheard of.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
What?

What?

What?

what.jpg

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
What?

What?

What?

To answer your questions.

Spreads regardless of protective gear:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/14/health/texas-ebola-nurses-union-claims/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

10,000 new cases possible:
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...-10-000-new-cases-week-without-action-n225291

And the first article shows that maybe the protective gear was used improperly or possibly not enough was used so properly used protective gear could protect healthcare workers.

But to address your critique of doctors risk assessment, the problem is risk assessment should be done by doctors and not politicians and the general public. The reason it's here in the US to begin with is a terrible risk assessment from the beginning by our government. There was a complete arrogance about our ability to treat it, and way too many assumptions were made not based in fact.

The facts are that it can't spread if it's quarantined. It should be isolated at its source. A travel ban would have prevented this from ever coming here. Anyone showing a passport with travel originating from West Africa should have been kept away unless under a supervised 21 day quarantine. Contact tracing is extremely difficult, and now that's it's here it will be impossible to trace all potential exposure. The long incubation period and common symptoms make it even more difficult to pinpoint in the early stages.

It's serious, with this particular outbreak having a 70% mortality rate with no real cure. The best our medical system had to offer couldn't help someone in the late stages of it. It is by far the scariest viral infection you can get in modern times.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Thank you Caleb for trying to provide some information on my behalf. Sadly I do not think it will matter though. I doubt any of these people who are trying to debunk me read any of the articles, watch any of the NOVA specials, or even have any healthcare experience. Except for Lithy. At least he was kind enough to read the article and provide some solid feedback.

They will likely twist your words or the article around like they do mine here...

You started this thread because you said there was no panic.

You said we were doing a shit job, and this was why you needed to let us all know the insider info you had.

I'm not trying to shit on you personally here, but everything you are saying is either contradictory, made up off the top of your head or completely speculative. It's just about the perfect way to be totally ignored. Just read the shit you're typing back to yourself before you click post.

I stated in the beginning and numerous times there was no need to panic but to be prepared just in case.

Also some of the speculations from my non-doctor/scientist theories have been proven.

1. The CDC is now re-evaluating protocols regarding how to care for ebola patients.
2. protective gear sucks and does not work.
3. no one really knows how the virus is spread.

In 1918 Spanish Flu killed between 50-100 million people. That's 5% of the worlds population at the time. In one year the average life expectancy of an American dropped by 12 years. You have no knowledge of history.

What I said was this....

"No doubt if there was no panic ebola would spread through the USA and kill MANY more people than any flu ever has."

Notice I said that IF there was no panic ebola would spread. I never said ebola has killed more already. I was stating that it had the potential to do so. And it very well does, especially in Africa.

But I guess that's unheard of in a world that has many more millions of people then the times of the Spanish Flu. No doubt that could never happen again with todays modern healthcare. The Spanish flu was in the early 1900's. About 100 years ago. when good healthcare was pretty non existent. There was little to no known knowledge of the flu, just like there is little known facts about ebola now and no effective way to treat it. There was no need for a deep understanding of history in my mere speculations.

You can provide all the information you want. People will just think we're crazy and in a panic. People are in the mindset, it could never happen to us. When really any sort of pandemic ever happening is not a matter of if it will happen, it is a matter of when it will happen. Maybe in a few thousand years we will have the knowledge to combat any microscopic organisms we come in into contact with. But right now as it stands medical care just insn't as good as people think.

Sure it's much better than a few hundred years ago, but a few hundred years from now people will look at us like we look at healthcare during times when trepanation was standard practice. Like we we're dumb asses who knew nothing.

Last edited: