Here is a new MMA thread

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
Haha I know, the ref was pulling them apart again and again and it just ended up the same shit. I was sat there thinking that these people had trained a couple of hours each time, four days a week, maybe for five years to get to this level, if something isn't there it just isn't there.

It's the same with most sports though, I knew near 30+ year old guys at my local running club who could run the 100 fast enough to reach the women's olympic final, lads at school level who could walk into a women's premiership football side, etc etc.

You know what I'm saying, I don't turn the channel over to watch camels play water polo and I don't see myself turning over to watch women in mma any time soon either. That's not to say for a second that I don't think they should be allowed to do it.

What you watched was probably unsanctioned. Which means they probably didn't have the rules that any respectable organization have. To compare that the women's division in the UFC is like comparing walking barefoot to flying first class. As for the last paragraph; I'd agree to some extent that women, generally aren't as strong or fast as men, BUT the women's bantamweight division is more entertaining to me than the men's heavyweight division because the skill level of the women is higher whereas the men are relying on their strength too much. However the mens bantamweights are quite ahead of the females. If you're at all interested in seeing some of the best judo throws in MMA check out Rousey's second fight with Tate.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Conor is ten times more talented than Sonnen was. Chael couldn't fight for shit, especially without cheating. All indications are that Conor is, at worst, the third-best fighter in the FW division. I would be really, really surprised if he doesn't beat Siver (he ought to blow him out of the water), and then he'll be the smallest underdog line Aldo's ever fought, or right at the same line Edgar was. Much more legit than Chael, but yeah, Aldo will still win.

fair enough but i will say this, conor has not fought anyone in the top five and IMO beating siver doesnt get you a title shot siver is probably about the tenth best fighter in the division Hes gonna have to fight a mendes or edgar or swanson or lamas to get a title shot

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
What you watched was probably unsanctioned. Which means they probably didn't have the rules that any respectable organization have. To compare that the women's division in the UFC is like comparing walking barefoot to flying first class. As for the last paragraph; I'd agree to some extent that women, generally aren't as strong or fast as men, BUT the women's bantamweight division is more entertaining to me than the men's heavyweight division because the skill level of the women is higher whereas the men are relying on their strength too much. However the mens bantamweights are quite ahead of the females. If you're at all interested in seeing some of the best judo throws in MMA check out Rousey's second fight with Tate.

Thanks for the response, maybe you're right and I should shed some pretty old prejudices. I'll give Rousey a look up.

Funnily enough the do-gooders are right on cue though, check this story on the news this morning:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29744400

Anyone's thoughts? My first is who do they suggest should pay for the difference? It's not coming from tv revenues that's for sure.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Thanks for the response, maybe you're right and I should shed some pretty old prejudices. I'll give Rousey a look up.

Funnily enough the do-gooders are right on cue though, check this story on the news this morning:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29744400

Anyone's thoughts? My first is who do they suggest should pay for the difference? It's not coming from tv revenues that's for sure.

exactly mens sports have way more money behind them with all the sponsors, also the viewership of the mens sports is probably 10-1 so its just the way it is. I mean have you ever watched womens basketball? ive seen better games at the Y then in the WNBA

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
My friends wife has been competing Thai Boxing in european championships, and when I've had the opportunity to spar with her it's always a great learning experience, so I have nothing but respect for women who have trained and become skilled at fight sports. I guess there is some ingrained shit about protecting women, and not having them fight, something instinctual, but I think more people need to look past that these days.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
fair enough but i will say this, conor has not fought anyone in the top five and IMO beating siver doesnt get you a title shot siver is probably about the tenth best fighter in the division Hes gonna have to fight a mendes or edgar or swanson or lamas to get a title shot

Dana has already said he's the no. 1 contender provided he beats Siver. They're already talking about dates for the fight. Yeah, beating Siver doesn't "earn" you anything- it's just to keep him busy- he was already getting the shot.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Dana has already said he's the no. 1 contender provided he beats Siver. They're already talking about dates for the fight. Yeah, beating Siver doesn't "earn" you anything- it's just to keep him busy- he was already getting the shot.

What the fuck was Siver thinking when he complained about Conor shooting past him in the rankings?
Especially when coming off a 9 month suspension for being a juice head.

I used to like the guy but now he can go fuck himself for being so dense.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
When you look at Cub Swanson's recent fight resume and assuming both him and Connor win their upcoming bouts, it's a fucking joke to give Connor the title shot over him. I know, Connor is hyped up right now and will likely garner more PPV buys. According to Cub the UFC has told him he will get the next title shot if he wins, for what that is worth.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
When you look at Cub Swanson's recent fight resume and assuming both him and Connor win their upcoming bouts, it's a fucking joke to give Connor the title shot over him. I know, Connor is hyped up right now and will likely garner more PPV buys. According to Cub the UFC has told him he will get the next title shot if he wins, for what that is worth.

Agree 100% the ufc has very much become a popularity contest and not who actually deserves a title shot

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Why does Ronda Rousey have to be a total cunt 156% of the time?

just wondering.

for all her talent i cannot root for her ever. her attitude (and others with similar attitudes) is part of the problem with mma now.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member

Cub's been on a roll, I remember when after his loss to Aldo folks wrote him off

I say let him and Connor go at it and winner gets the title shot( in a rational world )

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Cub's been on a roll, I remember when after his loss to Aldo folks wrote him off

I say let him and Connor go at it and winner gets the title shot( in a rational world )

You make too much sense. I like the ufc as that's where I believe the best fighters in the world are but let's be honest dana white does whatever he thinks will bring the most money.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
for all her talent i cannot root for her ever. her attitude (and others with similar attitudes) is part of the problem with mma now.

She needs to start dating an NFL player so she can get her ass kicked....

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
She needs to start dating an NFL player so she can get her ass kicked....

Rousey may have a case of resting bitch face but I've never viewed her as bitchy except in regards to Tate and Caraway. Implying she needs to be domestically abused is appalling.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
HANG 'EM UP, SHOGUN! Seriously, before guy gets killed. Leave me with my memories of the Pride GP.

Hunt/Werdum this Saturday for the interim title. Should be pretty awesome.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
FIGHT RESULTS, STOP NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW

Well that was a massive night of fights- Werdum beat Hunt for the interim title (I called it as did every writer I follow pretty much everywhere, funny how no one had any faith in HUNTO and then he did indeed get his ass kicked), WSOF ran a pretty big show and so did Bellator. Damn.

Anyway...

UFC: Werdum is the interim champ. And given Cain's health, he's the real champ as far as I'm concerned. Well, he's really gotten a hell of a lot better since his first time around, anyway. That striking, wow, so much better, and to go with the fact that he's light years ahead of any other HWT on the ground (save for Frank Mir, and Mir sucks ass), that's a nasty dude there. He'll be a tiny, tiny underdog to Cain if Cain ever gets healthy and they have a unification fight, but he could easily win.

Gastellum continues to look really solid. And the Bermudez hype train can stop short now, sheeit.

WSOF: Fucking Melvin Guillard. Way to go. Look like a moron on the conference call, then miss weight, and lose the fight. Have fun getting cut from the "B" promotion and catching on in OneFC if you're lucky. When the hell is Dave Branch going back to the UFC?

Bellator: Brooks is the real deal. That stoppage was awesome- Chandler was legitimately out on his feet and had zero clue what had happened. Brooks is another guy I'd really like to see Coker let loose to chase bigger fish in the UFC. Tito/Bonnar was ugly as shit- Tito kicked his ass, Bonnar's cardio was horrid, Tito actually looked pretty solid. Bonnar had no defense for anything Tito threw at him. Surprised to see that Tito was COMPLETELY unwilling to bury the hatchet after the fight, though that made things far more entertaining. Here's really, really hoping Bonnar goes back into retirement, though, he looked awful.

Also, Bellator's "former-champions faced" and accompanying record of those collective champions stat was the single stupidest statistic I've seen in sports. Great way to promote the UFC! After the fight, when Tito's record after the win improved to 17-11 and Bonnar's fell to like 16-12 or whatever... yeah. That was so incredibly goddamn stupid.

Anyway, pretty amazing to see all three put on shows on the same night, and Bellator, in particular, put on the best show they could, pretty much. And the UFC put on a pretty fun title fight, and hell, two pretty fun fights in the WSOF, too. Shit, I'm discounting Jessica Aguilar, make that three.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Tito actually looked pretty solid. Bonnar had no defense for anything Tito threw at him.

Were we watching the same fight? Tito looked awful. I mean, yeah, Bonnar looked like ass, too, but it didn't make anything Tito did look solid. That was the most cringe-worthy display of standup I've ever seen. Just wild, flailing arms flying with no discernible sense of direction and even less power put behind them (from both guys). Both guys were smacking each other in the face with closed fists and there was just no effect. I'm amazed that professional light-heavyweight fighters can punch each other in the face, repeatedly, with small gloves, and not knock the other guy out (or at the very least, "rock" them). That fight was the definition of pillow-fists.

It was even more embarrassing to see how easily Tito's takedowns were stuffed, from Bonnar, of all people. I had to turn it off when the commentators said "this fight lived up to the hype."

and lol @ Melvin. Fuck, that dude could've been great.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
It wasn't a out right beating Werdum gave Hunt, most figured if given the chance to work subs he'd have it but Hunt was tagging him there as well and that was after getting rocked a couple times