The battle of the Century! Super Street Fighter 2 vs Samurai Shodown 2

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Which has the best deeper gameplay and and the best graphics?
I think Super Street Fighter 2 is a lot simpler to just pick up and play but with worst graphics and sound....

Last edited:
We're comparing fighters? In that case, Street Fighter (3rd Strike especially) always wins with Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers in the US) coming in a close second. I haven't put enough time into SS2 though so I am definitely biased.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Samurai Shodown 2 is tougher too...
Better atmosphere and environments
Better to look and more innovative characters
...but Super Street Fighter 2 better gameplay?

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
don't forget "turbo" on the end of SSF2. SSF2 and SSF2T are two very different games.

SSF2T > SS2 in my book.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The games are way to different to compare. Like andsuchisdeath said...apples and oranges.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Super SF2 is awful. Super Turbo is the best fighting game there is bar none. Do people have SS2 tournaments nearly every day still? No.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Super SF2 is awful. Super Turbo is the best fighting game there is bar none. Do people have SS2 tournaments nearly every day still? No.

Pretty much this. If I could only play one fighter for the rest of my life, it'd be ST.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Pretty much this. If I could only play one fighter for the rest of my life, it'd be ST.

I very much like SSF2, and if I have to play an SNES fighter, that's probably one of my top picks. But yes, ST pretty much makes SSF2 obsolete.

As far as the comparison, ST vs. SSII does make a lot more sense. I'd say ST wins all day long, though - in pretty much every aspect.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I still remember playing Super at the arcades and use Zangief to grab projectile spamming people from across the screen. XD

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
You're cooked.

ummm? I guess lol

but its pretty hard to really choose since they are both classic fighting games. both are great sequals with a good sound track, good selection of charcters, and great gameplay overall. But I seem to enjoy ss2 a lot since it was the first neo geo game I owned when I got mine back in 09. samurai shodown 2 is a true classic

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Street Fighter is on a level of its own. Best fighting game franchise of all time. SFIIT, SSFT, SFA's, SFIII are all top notch fighting games. SNK games like Samsho and Last Blade brought something different to the fighting genre. The SamSho series is probably my 2nd favorite fighting game franchise.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
We're comparing fighters? In that case, Street Fighter (3rd Strike especially) always wins with Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers in the US) coming in a close second. I haven't put enough time into SS2 though so I am definitely biased.

Garou MOTW > 3rd Strike.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Gameplay - Super Street Fighter 2
Graphics/Sound - EASILY Samurai Shodown 2

You guys wanna hear something crazy? I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on earth who prefers Super to Super Turbo. I hate turbo mode, and even 'normal' speed in Super Turbo is too fast for my liking.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
SPIRITS has Nakoruru. that alone is more than enough for me...

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Garou MOTW > 3rd Strike.
Are you sure about that?
Gameplay - Super Street Fighter 2
Graphics/Sound - EASILY Samurai Shodown 2

You guys wanna hear something crazy? I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on earth who prefers Super to Super Turbo. I hate turbo mode, and even 'normal' speed in Super Turbo is too fast for my liking.
I agree with you about the ratings and also about the turbo speed. I prefer to see what happens on screen

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member

How do you feel about Hyper Fighting?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

It is kinda weird everyone went with Turbo 3 on GMC because it does drop frames(makes reversals 1-2 frames and some other combo videos very annoying if not impossible to make).

Kinda funny when the game is slowed down it becomes less zoning and more footsies as you can react to fireballs easier.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy

I used to love it, but I think I still prefer Champion just because I don't like the speed. Strangely enough, Hyper Fighting is the only CPS-1 Street Fighter that I own. I think the main reason is that I played Street Fighter 3 for years and got used to the slower pace. I was actually kinda shocked when then didn't add a turbo mode over 3 iterations.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Are you sure about that?

Only things I find superior on 3rd Strike is more characters and running on a newer board so graphics are a little better. Ease of use, depth of gameplay, easier to use during net lag, and fun factor I prefer Garou. BTW I do like 3rd Strike and play it all the time, but Garou is just a better game.